Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Immortal Goats Head problem  (Read 1638 times)

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Immortal Goats Head problem
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 06:51:21 pm »

Isn't this unkillable thing that doesnt hurt your dwarves a great training aid for your militia?
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 03:41:23 am »

It would be a great training aid if it didn't kill your dorfs through thirst. One of the problems with them is that once locked in combat, some dorfs won't let go, even when removed from the militia and burrowed via a civilian alert. They also have a tendency to fail to appear in nicely contained training facilities, and rather mess up things by blocking off half the fortress.
Another issue is that if you DO use civilian alerts to keep unintended participants out of the training, your fortress will grind to a halt when it starts to spam cancellation reports on failure to bring water to the participants (and if you don't, those bringing water will either join the fray [without delivering the water], or flee only to then again try to bring water [in a new bucket, so they'll eventually run out, resulting in a new spam message for the same root cause]).
Another issue with this kind of training aid is that it can lead to a lot of stress because of repeated vengeful thoughts. That isn't as much of a problem that it used to be, but may be an issue over an extended period.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 06:22:15 am »

Recommend wooden training axe + animal for live training rather than actually unkillable thing. Echidnas work well, because they can roll into a hard ball... I suspect that would also be an upside when using tortoises and turtles.
One wheel short of a wagon

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 03:34:44 am »

Using an unkillable foe as a training partner works very well if you provide a means to forcibly end the fight when your dwarves can't. I personally like to use a retractable bridge which dumps all participants into a roomful of cage traps when things get out of hand.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 [2]