Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Started playing again after a couple of years  (Read 1419 times)

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Started playing again after a couple of years
« on: April 14, 2017, 01:23:23 am »

If I recall correctly, I started playing pre-minecarts and multiple hauling, and played shortly into the point where there were wheelbarrows and minecarts, but stopped then.

What's new? I've heard stuff about visitors to your fortress, multi-level trees, invaders climbing walls. Probaby need to change my entire playstyle..
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Started playing again after a couple of years
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 01:49:48 am »

New plants. LOTS of new surface plants.
Edible fruit and nuts fall from trees seasonally.
Visitors will show up if you build taverns, libraries, or temples.
Several diplomat interactions have been re-enabled by default.
"divine materials" now spawn in the game world with special properties
Undead are less stupid
dwarven psyche is vastly expanded, now having psychological needs to do previously unthinkable things, like socialize.

I think those are the big ones anyway.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 03:09:18 am »

General building is now an unskilled task, not carpenter/mason.
The jobs rewrite has made repeat jobs unreliable at best (you can't chicken run penetrate aquifers, and setting a dorf to repeat pull a lever results in a dorf pulling a lever, walk away 10 or so steps, and then, maybe, return to pull it again, walk away...)
Digging and tree felling now has priorities, so they can be done in order (provided you only have one dorf working on it and you don't run into bugs).
A number of activities can be set to "Do NOW!", such as e.g. pulling the lever that raises the fortress entrance drawbridge when an invasion arrives.
Some visitors can petition for residence and then, two years later, for citizenship, at which time they become full ordinary citizens you can order around (note that mercs do NOT petition a second time, so they can only be used in squads led by a citizen). That allows for multi race fortresses.
There's been an overhaul of the production so you can specify clothing size to make (to fit non standard sized citizens), as well as detailing materials and other details (such as what a statue should look like).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 02:32:01 pm »

A number of activities can be set to "Do NOW!", such as e.g. pulling the lever that raises the fortress entrance drawbridge when an invasion arrives.
There's been an overhaul of the production so you can specify clothing size to make (to fit non standard sized citizens), as well as detailing materials and other details (such as what a statue should look like).
Both of these are extremely useful, as are job management options on individual workshops. They let you avoid a lot of overseer work.

If you choose the exciting embarks involving undead, read up first on the "unkillable tiny undead" bug that effects severed heads, hair, and wool.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 02:54:51 pm »

Both of these are extremely useful, as are job management options on individual workshops. They let you avoid a lot of overseer work.

If you choose the exciting embarks involving undead, read up first on the "unkillable tiny undead" bug that effects severed heads, hair, and wool.

Also, wear was introduced on weapons/armor.  Be careful with weapon traps, as there's a bug with weapons breaking in the trap. 

But bugs aside, it's still a lot of fun.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 05:27:24 pm »

General building is now an unskilled task, not carpenter/mason.

So, does that mean there's no architecture skill required, or do I just not need a mason to build a wall from stone blocks?
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 06:05:52 pm »

Building of walls and floors do not use an architect, just anyone with the unskilled building labor regardless of the building material, but building a built road or bridge does require an architect (I think the road assembling is unskilled while the bridge one is material dependent).

And, by the way the jobs rewrite destroyed the ability to get things built in a given order based on which order they were designated in. Job selection now sort of take distance into consideration, so you can't just build a wall on top of a wall and expect it to be done in the right order. You need to ensure the order is correct by making sure only compatible build orders are available at any time.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 09:20:04 pm »

The world has been activated and is alive now. Where as before you fortress was sort of in its own little time stasis bubble and the rest of the world frozewhen you embarked, now you fortress is a part of the living world. In fortress mode the biggest impact this has is on the nature of sieges. Sieges are now sent from actual population centers using the actual populace of that location. This means if you want lots of goblins to attack you then you better settle near a big nasty goblin site with a high population. You can also retire your fortress now and make it a part of the living world and do things like visit your old fortress with an adventurer etc.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 10:18:44 pm »

The world has been activated and is alive now. Where as before you fortress was sort of in its own little time stasis bubble and the rest of the world frozewhen you embarked, now you fortress is a part of the living world. In fortress mode the biggest impact this has is on the nature of sieges. Sieges are now sent from actual population centers using the actual populace of that location. This means if you want lots of goblins to attack you then you better settle near a big nasty goblin site with a high population. You can also retire your fortress now and make it a part of the living world and do things like visit your old fortress with an adventurer etc.

Just wanted to add, you get news about your dwarven civ every year from the outpost liaison: sites conquered, etc. He/she'll say "The world is as same as ever." if nothing has changed.

Also, rumor is around that in a recent update you'll be able to send squads off the map to fight wars with nearby sites, allowing you to interact even more with the living world.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 04:30:14 am »

:
Also, rumor is around that in a recent update you'll be able to send squads off the map to fight wars with nearby sites, allowing you to interact even more with the living world.

It's neither a rumor, nor a recent update: The next release (due in X months, where X is unknown) will allow you to send out squads to recover artifacts, rescue children, and, to some extent, conduct raids against other civs that should eventually cause them to get angry at you and go to war. These off site activities will be of the send out and get a report at the end type, with no means to influence the remote activities beyond the selection of the squad and target (in that release). Multiple active sites is a later task.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 07:16:57 am »

If I recall correctly, I started playing pre-minecarts and multiple hauling, and played shortly into the point where there were wheelbarrows and minecarts, but stopped then.

What's new? I've heard stuff about visitors to your fortress, multi-level trees, invaders climbing walls. Probaby need to change my entire playstyle..

I too have a four year gap between being introduced to DF and now. One of the biggest changes is the lack of demonic fortresses. They were removed after version 34.11, and haven't returned since then.

Also in the list of new things is vaults. They are spoilers though, so don't look one up until you explore one yourself. Trust me, they sure are something.

Also, humans can no longer be lead by clown overlords because of a couple of broken tags. Which is pretty sad if you ask me, but we can hope for this to be fixed in the future.

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 12:29:55 am »

Also, wear was introduced on weapons/armor.  Be careful with weapon traps, as there's a bug with weapons breaking in the trap. 

But bugs aside, it's still a lot of fun.

I checked that out. Do you know if it's weapon traps only, or all traps? Wondering if things will be okay for upright spikes linked to a lever.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 04:20:29 am »

My understanding of the weapon trap bug is that weapons in weapon traps break OK, but weapon trap components breaking causes a crash. This should mean menacing spikes breaking ought to result in a crash as well, but I've been lucky enough to not having suffered from it.

Linking menacing spike traps to a lever ceases to be practical with the jobs rewrite as a result of the erratic lever pulling, as mentioned. You should probably migrate to a repeater based triggering (started and stopped with a lever pull). I use mine cart repeaters.

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 05:34:37 pm »

Yeah, I've been forced to finally learn repeaters, especially for my danger room.