Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17

Author Topic: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)  (Read 28169 times)

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2017, 10:29:20 am »

To begin with, I think Derpy Dev really has to get a hold of himself and start taking turns again! It is fun, come on.

Any new players is a good idea as well, of course.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2017, 12:25:40 pm »

To begin with, I think Derpy Dev really has to get a hold of himself and start taking turns again! It is fun, come on.

Any new players is a good idea as well, of course.

After Zazq and you do your turns, I'll add some more slots and do a turn myself if I have the time.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2017, 04:05:02 pm »

Keshanfamthut “Flamehorses” Spring 59
“Histories of Jealousy and Industry”

We only have 47 dwarves.  Far too many are doing specialized tasks and now no hauling is getting done.  I’ve decreased the number of specialized dwarves to 10.

Miners Jewelburg and Stone, legendary miners.
Woody Wood, legendary carpenter.
Animal Meat, legendary mason.
Hammersmith, an ok smith.
Farmer Mushroom, legendary farmer.
Brewmaster Jaco, an ok brewer/cook.
Super Scribe, the scribe.
Baron Von Quell, combat epistemologist, baron, librarian extraordinaire.
Hun, pesky upstart, holder of most noble positions.

Also 10 wardwarves, led by Senior Facepunc.
Also 26 mooks. 

We are having a major clothing crisis.  Everyone is naked and depressed.  We’re all going to die.  Oh, we also have a king named Edem.  I’ve renamed him King Olmec for easy identification.  We got some major sorting and organization problems going on here.  The sober necromancers don’t seem to move slower than the other dwarves and so it doesn’t seem like a problem.  I’ve started trying to get the king some quarters and to sort all the junk.

It is now summer.

A human caravan and diplomat has arrived.  The trade depot got destroyed in the previous years frakas, so i’ve constructed a new one from gold bars.  Maybe they will bring the yarn cloth that moody dwarf needs.

The caravan was lured in by the shiny gold depot then slaughtered.  The lawgiver for whatever human nation that was was here to negotiate with us.  Senior Facepunc bit him in the torso and shook him around until his limbs came off.  This is how dwarves negotiate.  They even had some yarn for our moody mook.  He made a wood hatch cover with images relating to the dwarves of Flamehorses slaughtering goblins.

I got the clothing under control.  Everyone has pigtail socks and trousers, and leather cloaks, and that should keep them for a while.

It is now Autumn

A vile force of goblins has arrived.  There’s a lot of em.  Oops, archers are mean.  The military is dead.  I shall reseal the fortress.

Fortress sealing has failed.  The goblins are inside.  There is only one thing to do.

You’re going down with the rest of us, greenskins.

The siege has been broken.  No goblin shall call flamehorses home.  No puny human shall drink our ale or visit our tavern.  No necromancer shall have our corpses.  If us noble dwarves can’t have this fortress, then nobody will.  And the world will burn around us.

Born underground;
Grown inside a rocky womb.
The earth is our cradle;
The mountain shall become our tomb.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:19:33 pm by zazq »

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2017, 04:23:57 pm »

Postgame world: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12984

This was a pretty damn good community game, and i'm very glad i was a part of it.  thank you everyone.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2017, 06:12:33 pm »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Ah well. Realistically there was no way we could have continued at that point. Things had become to desperate and crazy.

But this was a lot of fun! Again, I really do have more fun watching than participating, so sorry for not taking as many turns as I should. Besides, my computer is made of breadsticks. I go down to 50 FPS when I hit 60 dwarves, I couldn't handle the metric butt ton of things that were going on. Thanks for taking us out with a bang Zazq, and thank you everyone for participating.

By the way, do you happen to have saved the game right before you opened up hell? I like the idea of a save that people can just open up and observe the final moments.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2017, 06:22:19 pm »

no but fps is pretty good at the spring save, and there's no way anyone could muster a military in 2 seasons that could handle the 80 goblin siege.  I doubt i could get armor on new recruits in 2 seasons.  so the spring save is already the beginning of the end.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2017, 07:59:57 pm »

no but fps is pretty good at the spring save, and there's no way anyone could muster a military in 2 seasons that could handle the 80 goblin siege.  I doubt i could get armor on new recruits in 2 seasons.  so the spring save is already the beginning of the end.

Darn... if mechanisms were allowed, this would be a time for a cave-in trap if there ever were one.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2017, 09:35:29 pm »

That's a pity that dwarves didn't have time to seal the fortress... Otherwise, I'm pretty sure that I would throw all the goblins into volcano, using my railgun.

The great end to the great fortress anyway. Thanks to all who participated!

Maybe we should start another game in the same world? For example, with mechanisms this time, but an aboveground fort without metallurgy.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2017, 09:44:26 pm »

Maybe we should start another game in the same world? For example, with mechanisms this time, but an aboveground fort without metallurgy.

That is not a bad idea. One thing though: I would like it if first, someone can reclaim that necromancy book in adventure mode and move it to the fortress location. Anybody up for the challenge?

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2017, 07:50:23 pm »

Save a book from the fortress, captured by demons? Damn, that's not a joke.

But I really want to try, when I have some time (presumably, on weekend, if nobody do this before).

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2017, 08:16:22 am »

Save a book from the fortress, captured by demons? Damn, that's not a joke.

But I really want to try, when I have some time (presumably, on weekend, if nobody do this before).

Awesome. But lets try to decide where we should put the book. After all, we can't pick it up until we know where to put it own. Anybody know a good spot?

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2017, 09:10:25 am »

Well, we can do in parallel, or we can decide after we have a guy with the book, but yes, we need to decide on that.

Since we permit mechanisms now, but not going to forge and smelt stuff, probably we don't need surface magma anymore. But unicorns are nice to have anyway.
And better not choose opposite side of the world from Flamehorses, or adventurer may have issues with bringing the book.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2017, 10:15:09 am »

Since we permit mechanisms now, but not going to forge and smelt stuff, probably we don't need surface magma anymore. But unicorns are nice to have anyway.

Admittedly, I'm not entirely sold on the idea of an aboveground fort without metallurgy. Without metallurgy is cool, but I don't feel like we need to complicate things further by adding the additional challenge of making everything aboveground. Is that just me?

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2017, 12:26:58 pm »

Sure, I don't mind to exclude aboveground part. In this crazy world, it is not going to be very easy anyway.

Maybe there are better ideas. What do you guys think on our next attempt?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2017, 12:47:38 pm »

Sure, I don't mind to exclude aboveground part. In this crazy world, it is not going to be very easy anyway.

Maybe there are better ideas. What do you guys think on our next attempt?

I like the idea of no metalsmithing but mechanisms. Sort of the opposite of what we did in the first Flamehorses. That one emphasize facing our opponents on the battlefield with our weapons, but no metal means we face our foes in a different way, by building traps.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17