Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17

Author Topic: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)  (Read 28189 times)

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)
« Reply #195 on: June 21, 2017, 05:20:34 pm »

Go into stocks, and press D to dump next to most of the wood. (make sure nothing else is marked for dumping)
Enter the command "autodump delete" to remove those from the game.

Also, the reason your queen likely killed the guard was a a punishment for mandate violation. (Unless you have a working justice system)
I've had dwarves randomly kill each other for that. Checking the thoughts of the murderer afterwards showed that they thought they just gave a beating.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 21, 2017, 06:45:45 pm »

Go into stocks, and press D to dump next to most of the wood. (make sure nothing else is marked for dumping)
Enter the command "autodump delete" to remove those from the game.

Also, the reason your queen likely killed the guard was a a punishment for mandate violation. (Unless you have a working justice system)
I've had dwarves randomly kill each other for that. Checking the thoughts of the murderer afterwards showed that they thought they just gave a beating.

Thanks for the info!

Edit: After deleting over 6000 of the 9000 wood logs we had strewn across the map, the fps didn't bump above ten for me. It stayed the same. I feel like having over 150 pets might be the issue though.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 07:04:18 pm by Derpy Dev »

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 21, 2017, 09:09:25 pm »

Also try clean map all.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2017, 02:43:49 pm »

work work work i'll see what i can do.

Before i messed with it: 10fps over the volcano.  Not very playable.

killed 1 beak dog, 4 crundles, 4 magma crabs, 26 goblins, 5 humans, 5 undead, 6 cats and 19 turkey.
destroyed 600 corpses and body parts.  3265 other assorted objects, mostly clothing.
stacked the logs in the quantum wood stockpile.  of the 9931 logs, destroyed 9000 of them. (i left the willow and feather wood)

13fps above the volcano.

cleaned contaminates, did a surface revflood to hide most of the caverns.  stopped all flowing liquids.

14fps above the volcano.

removed all water, dropped the volcano level by about 10.

15fps

turned off temperature and weather.

16fps.

nope its dead.

If people are still interested, i could gen a highly lag resistant world and find us a super boring super lag resistant map and we could do flamehorses 2, no mechanisms or iron. 

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 03:37:39 pm by zazq »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:21:08 pm by Derpy Dev »

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2017, 04:48:01 pm »

This is sad as hell. But thanks for the attempt to reanimate the game.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2017, 05:04:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rest in peace, Flamehorses.
Thanks for the attempt to reanimate it, zazq.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2017, 05:11:33 pm »

If people are still interested, i could gen a highly lag resistant world and find us a super boring super lag resistant map and we could do flamehorses 2, no mechanisms or iron.

Ahem. To the point, I'm not sure if I want to immediately start another one, but it was you guys who were doing the work for the most part.

The main question is this: why did things go so laggy to begin with? If I had to guess, the necromancers had something to do with it.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 22, 2017, 05:22:41 pm »

lag death is the most common form of fortress death and it's not really known what happens.  There are many little things that add up i guess. 
DF is super processor intensive.  It tracks all of things in your fortress, moves all the liquids, paths all of the creatures, and keeps track of all the things happening in the larger world.  all of these things become harder as the fortress gets older.

A lag resistant embark would be on a tiny no-history world, have no liquids, no trees, basically a featureless wasteland.  You'd try to minimize units ever leaving your map to reduce world influence.  If the embark was 2x2, it'd probably survive 20 years before lagging out. 

There's also the G_FPS trick, which can help fortresses run a lot smoother at the cost of graphical stuttering.  We could probably use this to run Flamehorses another few years i guess before it got too bad now that i think about it.

All that being said, it doesn't seem like fortress age should matter as much as it does.  who knows.  I doubt the necromancy had a significant impact on lag.  The place was doomed to lag death anyway, being a world full of things that happen, and a map with trees, water, magma, caverns, and multi level surface. 

-=-

a last bit of science.

destroyed practically all objects, 19097 of them.

Volcano FPS 17

slayed all but one dwarf (BARON VON QUELL SURVIVES!)

Volcano FPS 27

i can get 100fps underground, but still only 27 over the volcano.

i couldn't tell what was happening in the volcano so i turned off multilayer rendering.

Volcano FPS 100

huh.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:48:32 pm by zazq »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 22, 2017, 05:32:13 pm »

lag death is the most common form of fortress death and it's not really known what happens.  There are many little things that add up i guess. 
DF is super processor intensive.  It tracks all of things in your fortress, moves all the liquids, paths all of the creatures, and keeps track of all the things happening in the larger world.  all of these things become harder as the fortress gets older.

A lag resistant embark would be on a tiny no-history world, have no liquids, no trees, basically a featureless wasteland.  You'd try to minimize units ever leaving your map to reduce world influence.  If the embark was 2x2, it'd probably survive 20 years before lagging out. 

There's also the G_FPS trick, which can help fortresses run a lot smoother at the cost of graphical stuttering.  We could probably use this to run Flamehorses another few years i guess before it got too bad now that i think about it.

All that being said, it doesn't seem like fortress age should matter as much as it does.  who knows.  I doubt the necromancy had a significant impact on lag.  The place was doomed to lag death anyway, being a world full of things that happen, and a map with trees, water, magma, caverns, and multi level surface.

Sounds like the only way to prevent lag is to be super paranoid about it, end result being that everybody cares too much about the possibility of lag and stops having fun.

Oh well. I had good memories of you Flamehorses. Sniff... Anybody got some sad music?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2017, 05:33:55 pm »

Oh well. I had good memories of you Flamehorses. Sniff... Anybody got some sad music?

I got you fam

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 22, 2017, 06:10:28 pm »

I always play with G_FPS capped at 20... It helps, but I think only as long as the real fps doesn't drop below G_FPS.
I've just tried G_FPS=5, but it still gives 15 FPS plus makes fortress management a pain in the ass.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 22, 2017, 06:12:43 pm »

that is surprising.  back to the provided save.

killed goblins, turned off multilevel, unassigned nobility

volcano fps 48.  and that's playable.  someone try it.

EDIT: It looks like its Dr Sawbones meditating in the temple who's quartering our fps.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:33:49 pm by zazq »

MrLurkety

• Bay Watcher
  • Bogeymen are tasty. So am I, to the bogeymen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 22, 2017, 06:52:00 pm »

that is surprising.  back to the provided save.

killed goblins, turned off multilevel, unassigned nobility

volcano fps 48.  and that's playable.  someone try it.

EDIT: It looks like its Dr Sawbones meditating in the temple who's quartering our fps.
KILL HIM
-snip-
I'm not an expert on the political climate but I'm pretty sure that politicians don't join armies and invade dwarven fortresses.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 22, 2017, 06:53:59 pm »

exterminated Dr Sawbones and the goblins.  Piled the wood.  deleted 9000 objects and 9000 wood. 
I can get 65fps above the volcano. 

I'd count that as fixed.  Stupid dr sawbones.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12979

(turn off multi-level rendering by using 'multilevel 0')
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:56:30 pm by zazq »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17