Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)  (Read 28184 times)

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2017, 10:50:56 am »

This place... has definitely changed.
We have some new halls and yet empty baron apartment. Instead of the veteran squad and necromancer rangers we have only one squad, filled with newbies. Senior Facepunc is a decent replacement of Big McHugeLarge though, she is a veteran with good skills and Great Teacher. But unfortunately, she has no idea how to use axes, so we are going to progress slowly on that.

On the surface we can see quite a chaos, a lot of corpses and other garbage, and 10k of logs. Well, that's enough for a century, if we manage to reclaim the surface again. Also, three fire imps, one of them is busy fighting donkey head, which causes massive fire.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile, A SIEGE. A few dozens of goblins with trolls and beak dogs.

My green silly friends, you are just in time. I hoped that some of them would burn in the fire, but seemingly, they are smart enough to evade the flame.

They definitely rely on the old memories about the fortress layout and went straight to the sealed entering. Good, good. Don't forget to check out our old barracks, you will not regret, I promise...
And so, it began.
Soon, a lot of goblins were there, pounding the colossus non-stop. He seemingly started to accumulate damage soon. After a while, he could not use the axe anymore. Finally, his torso was smashed by a hit of an iron whip. Toady, nerf please!

Green guys won, with only 2 goblins dead. The day when the pride of all dwarves in Flamehorses got mortal wound.
Maybe it is just a rock-paper-scissors kind of thing? Goblins beat the colossus, the colossus beats dwarves, dwarves beat gobblins...

The colossus left a masterful bronze statue of forgotten beast. I will decorate my bedroom, if I manage to grab it later.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 16, 2017, 02:47:19 pm »

A goblin lasher just got one heck of a title.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 16, 2017, 04:43:33 pm »

we know that whips are super weapons in dwarf fortress.  If we had whip wielding dwarves that fight would have turned out differently.  Can we get a squad of whip dwarves?  I probably deleted all the random whips sitting about just last year.  darn.  And their foreign so we can't make them?

I'm going away for 3 days.  see ya later!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 16, 2017, 05:50:20 pm »

we know that whips are super weapons in dwarf fortress.  If we had whip wielding dwarves that fight would have turned out differently.  Can we get a squad of whip dwarves?  I probably deleted all the random whips sitting about just last year.  darn.  And their foreign so we can't make them?

I'm going away for 3 days.  see ya later!

Bye dude!

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 17, 2017, 09:23:44 pm »

The colossus has fallen, but our only military squad is still far too immature and under-equipped for attempts to break the siege, so I decided to continue temporal isolation.

First priority is to prepare a decent squad, so I sent miners to dig more adamantine, while the half of the fortress busy with adamantine extraction or making wafers. We have also alsmost 200 bars of steel, so I'll probably do some steel armor (I don't think we have enough adamantine for full armor sets).

Meanwhile, I completely forgot about ghosts, and one dwarf was apparently scared to death by one of them
It's the time to engrave some slabs. Who knows when we would have an access to the bodies.

By the way, where is the book? Good time to check out our precious unholy codex. Can't see in any of the bookshelves... Binded to the book key doesn't work... Can't see anything from the stocks screen...
Don't you say...
HOW THE HELL COULD WE LOST THE BOOK?!
I guess, again one of the visitors tried to steal it from us, but this time no-one stopped him. That is very unfortunate.

A bit later I noticed that a couple of goblins are wandering around the corpse stockpile. Good chance, I sent one of the military necros to the animating gallery immediately.
It worked well, a couple of skeletons started to fight the goblins.
Later other goblins got interested as well, and most of them came to the corpse stockpile. Our necromancer only laughed and animated more. Soon, it was quite an epic brawl.
And our undead guys eventually won! Here our final heroes:
Not sure how much exactly they did kill, but looking at the amount of new corpses, for sure more than 20 goblins. The rest decided to retreat.

But we still had a dozen trolls, fruitlessly trying to break an artifact weapon rack.
And I here I was extremely surprised. All the undeads started moving towards the trolls! I thought they are completely mindless, and would be just wandering around, attacking random enemies.
Even more surprising, that even dead heads can move somehow, extremely slowly though.
Finally, slowly but surely they came to the old barracks and gave a fight. I expected more from the trolls, to be honest. But they have barely killed any undeads, and after a while they were running around in terror, screaming like little girls.

This was a triumph of necromancy in Flamehorses, we destroyed sieging forces with just 1 necromancer and bunch of dead bodies!

There was a wierd accident in the fortress during all this stuff. Our king queen Edem instead of saying "hello" to passing military necro, with no apparent reason slashed him with her axe!  After short combat, she not only managed to kill him, but also make a zombie out of him and his arm, and then stayed nearby a bit, it looked like she admires the result!
I have no clue what happaned. Maybe she expresses how much she is upset because of ignored mandates and shitty room?.. I should pay more attention to that.

I have already seriously started to think, how to live now without turning newcomers into necro, when look who came:
The book thief with our necromancy manual! She must be either very brave or very stupid to show up again. I need to ensure that this little brat would never leave Flamehorses again.

It is now the beginning of the summer. There are still 2 or 3 trolls alive, but siege has gone, and elven and human diplomats both came at the same time. I still probably need to kill undeads for the safety reasons, hopefully our recruits are capable of that.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:42:35 pm by hun »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2017, 11:25:25 am »

I'm thinking that we should kill the thief and reclaim the book and our lost pride.

By the way... why are all of our monarchs murderers? First Sodel, now Edem? What the heck?

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2017, 11:47:41 pm »

just another reason to move to sunny flamehorses.  beautiful volcano-side apartments, legendary dining halls (full of miasma), lavish and exotic meals (made of nothing but mushrooms) and scantily clad exotic dancers (zombie goblins).  Come for the bloodthirsty nobility, stay because there's a forgotten beast right outside who will slaughter you if you leave.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:50:26 pm by zazq »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2017, 12:31:24 pm »

just another reason to move to sunny flamehorses.  beautiful volcano-side apartments, legendary dining halls (full of miasma), lavish and exotic meals (made of nothing but mushrooms) and scantily clad exotic dancers (zombie goblins).  Come for the bloodthirsty nobility, stay because there's a forgotten beast right outside who will slaughter you if you leave.

I guess necromancy is also a perk, because nobody has to eat or anything.

By the way, what the heck is this forgotten beast I've heard so little about? I know it exists and nothing more.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 20, 2017, 02:48:26 am »

...Well, on second thought the idea to use undeads was not probably the smartest in the world.

I equipped our squad with full steel armor sets, gave silver war hammers instead of battle axes to them, and sent to kill undeads. To no avail: they all died after very long (longer than a month) combat with ridiculously modest results. I decided to roll back the game (I kinda suspected that there would be troubles, so I thought about this fight more as about an experiment).
I don't know why, but these undead heads are extremely dangerous enemies. They get no damage at all, dwarves fall in exhaustion very fast, and then heads eventually kill them.

Good time to think about alternative ways. In the worst case scenario, we can simply ignore undeads and unseal the entering - after all, almost everyone is undead now in Flamehorses. However, we would have to sacrifice all visitors, caravans, pets, few living dwarves, all future migrants. Doesn't sound fun, especially now, when we really need new migrants due to recent loss.

So, I tried to come up with another solution. Meet Volcanic Impulse Railgun!
The idea should be clear: potential enemies go on the narrow path, hanging over volcano, and our brave railgun operators can send presents to them, in the form of minecarts, accelerated by impulse ramps. I use gold minecarts as bullets for our railgun, since they are the heaviest ones we have (ideal would be platinum ones). We also can use lead, since we have tons of it, but it is much ligher and will do less damage. Railgun requires some tricks to use properly, you need to burrow a couple of dwarves to the operation room, plus you need to set up an alert for everyone, since otherwise they tend to try to go outside the fortress, using this path (with a quite predictable result).
The railgun almost guaranteed to drop enemies into the magma (note screening walls), in addition to harsh direct damage. Not sure if it work for such guys as the colossus though, they may be too heavy.
There are a lot of possible modifications, we can add more coils of path and separated railgun tracks for them. A squad of crossbows inside of the old library plus fortifications also can add certain effect. Finally, we can make additional tunnel with other funny traps, currently the path connected directly to the old library.

Long story short, it works!
All undeads, who tried to enter the alternative entrance, have been dropped into magma.
These heads are really hellish beings, they are not completely destroyed even after they are at the bottom of the volcano
They have lost all body parts, and now they are immortal ghosts of heads.

Now at least we have Plan B for a goblin siege or other troubles, which cannot be dealt with by our military.

Currently on the surface there is only one undead troll's head that accidentally rolled into the pond and seems to stuck, and one cat's head, which has fun fighting with a human warrior last two weeks or about.
The surface can be considered safe enough to reclaim it now. I also sealed both alternative entrance and railgun room, just in case. I haven't deconstructed the walls on the main entrance yet. May Armok help those who will put things in order on the surface, it is such a mess.

Some other notes, just as I was afraid, all our necros do not consume any alcohol at all, almost everyone is disgustingly sober now in Flamehorses.
They are terribly slow, especially obvious it was for deconstruction labors. A living dwarf make this two, if not three, times faster than a necro. Probably, it is a good idea to keep part of the fortress alive and drunk, for some urgent works.

We still do not have any new migrants, the game said twice "fortress did not attract migrants this season". I hope, it is only temporarily.

FPS troubles are pretty serious, but I'm not as good with dfhack magic as zazq is, so I left this to people who knows stuff.

The thief dropped the book on the edge of the map. There was a fire nearby, but apparently, books do not burn. At least, necromancy books. Maybe it is because it is binded in stone.
PLEASE, SECURE THE BOOK! We need it.

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12975

« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:04:34 am by hun »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 20, 2017, 01:42:54 pm »

Puppyguards turn now!

Also, I have to give you a round of applause for the VIR (Volcanic Impulse Railgun). You have succeeded in creating a weapon of mass destruction without the use of mechanisms.

Now, the simple question for lag is this: how many undead are there? We might have to delete a few if the quantity is over 100.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 20, 2017, 02:04:28 pm »

Puppyguards turn now!

Also, I have to give you a round of applause for the VIR (Volcanic Impulse Railgun). You have succeeded in creating a weapon of mass destruction without the use of mechanisms.

Now, the simple question for lag is this: how many undead are there? We might have to delete a few if the quantity is over 100.

There are about 200, if you meant "deceased". There are very little functioning undeads currently...
Another easy option is to clean map from liquids.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 20, 2017, 02:49:30 pm »

Barely a day in and this happens.
I think the goblins don't like me.

A swordsman is outside fighting a cathead, the goblins decided to put them both the swordsman out of his misery.
They're still fighting the cat-head.

There is some insane lag, possibly from all the wood strewn around the map.
EDIT: aaaand it's too laggy for me, sorry.

12 days in, here is the save.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 03:46:15 pm by Puppyguard »

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 20, 2017, 05:32:26 pm »

Flamehorses might have been killed by lag folks. Now that you mention it though, all that wood probably does have something to do with it. And we don't need all of it, so...

Oh DFhack wizard Zazq, would you mind being our savior and deleting 90% of the wood?  :'(

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 21, 2017, 01:16:43 pm »

Looks like a standard cause of death for successions...
I had 20-30 FPS during my turn, this is slow, but tolerable.

Probably zazq can simply provide tips/guideline for dfhack optimization, so everyone could use them.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 21, 2017, 03:41:31 pm »

I really hope this doesn't kill the fort. I want a fiery, horrible death caused by our own hubris and zombies.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17