Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)  (Read 28197 times)

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flamehorses, the luddite fortress (It has begun!)
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2017, 08:49:41 pm »

Sodel's was a pretty famous guy before he got accidentally thrown into a volcano by accident.  He showed up in a migrant wave with a long name, meaning he was historical to begin with.  He then killed some random dwarf during my previous year and i locked him up with the necromancers during that 10 minutes when we were trying to not be necromancers.  Hun tried to use him in combat as well, and he steadfastly refused to become a necromancer at the time.  He had legendary combat skills. 

He then became king and accidentally fell into a volcano.  must have been clumsy i guess.  Anyway...

The lag is pretty freaking bad.  I'm going to use DFHack to settle the liquids, clean all of the things, and maybe delete some useless clutter sitting about.  I've already started mass producing axes and i intend to clear cut most of the map.  leaves are evil.  evil evil leaves.  Also traffic restrictions. 

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2017, 09:09:24 pm »

RIP king Sodel.

Also... 120 dwarves. Let's try to keep that as the limit, okay? Can you guys lower the maximum number of dwarves accordingly? The lag will only get worse if this isn't taken care of.

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2017, 09:46:18 pm »

Keshanfamthut “Flamehorses.”
Summer 057.  Histories of Gluttony and Diligence.

Cleaning and dumping scattered and heavily damaged owned objects is commencing.  Edem Vesselbraids, a random mook, has claimed the position of queen.  Hill Titan Dak has come.  It breathes fire.  Was i complaining about lag? Because here comes forest fires.  A human caravan has arrived while the soldiers are mustering to deal with Dak.  They got in on the fight.

Hill Titan Dak spitting a fireball at a hammerdwarf.

A bloody combat indeed.  We lost 10 soldiers.  The human caravan escaped.  The entire map is on fire.

It is still early summer.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2017, 10:16:25 pm »

HUGE MCBIGLARGE!
NOOOOOOOOOO!
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2017, 11:46:13 pm »

The diplomat from the humans survived all that, and has brought us a page of rumors about the goblins slaughtering the human civilizations and them going through like 4 kings.  Its a sign of what’s to come me thinks.  Deleted 5000 useless objects, mostly things gotten from slaughtered human and elven caravans.  The deforestation of the map has commenced and we now have ghost problems.  The fires are mostly out.  60 axe wielding dwarves vs trees. Oh shit there’s an elephant in that tree i just cut down.  Ok, 59 axe wielding dwarves...

A big library has been constructed.

One of our military dudes has 34 kills.  I’ve re-named him Senor Facepunch and consolidated the military squads under him. 

It is now autumn.

Our mason Animal Meat has made an artifact coffin.  This bodes well.  It has artwork relating to the foundation of Flamehorses.  It also has artwork of that damn donkey leather low boot someone made.  I made sure we still have Derpy Dev’s artifact ring.  We do.

:( game crashed.  Some progress lost.  Continuing tomorrow.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 12, 2017, 11:52:31 pm »

Can I ask that Huge Mcbiglarge's body be cast into the volcano for the volcano God's appeasement.
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2017, 05:14:36 pm »

Picking up early autumn, after the fires went out, before Animal Meat’s artifact.

Doot doot, clearcutting the forest, sorting the armor, trying to get the military back in a semblance of order.

Oh shit bronze colossus Kadol Utharabod Nomsheget.  Here we go again.

The tatters of our military were insufficient.  All but 4 were killed.  He also killed MrLurkety.  We’ve retreated back inside.  The fortress has been sealed.  We’ve lost half our population.  The dead and dying are everywhere and we have no water supply.  An emergency operation has been initiated to drain one of the overland pods into a reservoir.

It is now winter.

A pond has been drained without letting the colossus in.  It only flooded the fortress a little bit.  Adamantine Battle Axes are required for colossus killing.  I’ve started an exploratory grid on layer -78.

The mythical blue metal(?) has been located.  It turns out we already had some from somewhere, but now we have a lot more.  It's a long process extracting and smelting and then making axes.  But the water supply helped a lot, and we’ve stabilized at 52 dwarves.  We’re in the process of making 10 adamantine battle axes.  What remained of our previous military, along with new recruits are training with axes in the barracks.  Maybe they’ll be good enough when the adamantine ones are ready.  The colossus is hanging out in the daylight barracks just within the entrance of the fortress. 

The entire map is on fire again for some reason.  But i can get 40fps on layers below -10, and that’s perfectly fine.

KILL THAT DAMN COLOSSUS!

It is now spring.
SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12963
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 05:20:34 pm by zazq »

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2017, 11:01:48 am »

Harsh times came during your turn, zazq...
I'll try to do my turn on weekend.
We need very well trained squad with steel and adamantine to have a chance, so I'm not going to hurry in my revenge.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2017, 02:49:00 pm »

Two questions:

One: who gave that bronze colossus a battle axe for Armok's sake?
Two: why was I ever in combat? Brewers are not meant for battle.

Anyway, if this ends up killing the fort, we might save scum and restart Zazq's turn. That would be the sensible decision.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2017, 04:50:49 pm »

No panic, elite squad with some adamantine gear should do the trick. In the worst case we can stay isolated underground, still better than savescum.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2017, 08:34:46 pm »

No panic, elite squad with some adamantine gear should do the trick. In the worst case we can stay isolated underground, still better than savescum.

On the one hand, your right. Savescumming is a bit bad, and we should try to avoid doing it.

On the other hand, however, Huge Mcbiglarge died. Worth cheating. I don't even care about my death, just the lack of Huge Mcbiglarge.

Also, maybe our fortress being on the brink of destruction is not the best time for this, but does anyone else want to join? Know anyone that might want to?

I just want more people involved in this madness.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:38:02 pm by Derpy Dev »

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2017, 08:37:34 pm »

Two questions:

One: who gave that bronze colossus a battle axe for Armok's sake?
Two: why was I ever in combat? Brewers are not meant for battle.

Anyway, if this ends up killing the fort, we might save scum and restart Zazq's turn. That would be the sensible decision.

My guesses

One: It wrestled a lumberjack and grabbed the axe by accident, then grabbed the axe from the lumberjack.
Two: I think it squished the military and is now inside the fort, or you were hauling wood and encountered the monster.
Also I think we should keep the fort as it is, the colossus will eventually fall and we'll get more immigrants. We can always create another tough military dwarf.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2017, 08:42:45 pm »

My guesses

One: It wrestled a lumberjack and grabbed the axe by accident, then grabbed the axe from the lumberjack.
Two: I think it squished the military and is now inside the fort, or you were hauling wood and encountered the monster.
Also I think we should keep the fort as it is, the colossus will eventually fall and we'll get more immigrants. We can always create another tough military dwarf.

I should probably just look at the save file and find out myself. And I would like to remind you what I said about save scumming:
"If this ends up killing the fort" are the important words here. If the last three dwarves starve to death or jump off of cliffs or get killed by the bronze colossus, then I would rather save scum than just quit altogether. But if this just puts us in a somewhat difficult position that we can recover from, save scumming is out of the question. That make sense?

zazq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 15, 2017, 10:46:32 am »

its supposed to be rough.  we did this on purpose.  We aren't using mechanisms and living in a world with x5 megas and semis for the express purpose of causing the situation we are currently in.  This is the point.  And it's not going to stop.  Expect a new mega to arrive every spring and fall from here on out.

And we still have a Senior Facepunch with his 32 kills and legendary axe wielding skills.  He should be a fine replacment for big mchugelarge. 

I was in the middle of tree removal when the colossus showed up.  Derp was a woodcutter, so he was out on the map when the colossus arrived.  I tried to sneak the civilians back inside before sealing us up, but necromancers charge in and punch colossus instead of fleeing from it, so casualties were high.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 15, 2017, 01:17:23 pm »

I was in the middle of tree removal when the colossus showed up.  Derp was a woodcutter, so he was out on the map when the colossus arrived.  I tried to sneak the civilians back inside before sealing us up, but necromancers charge in and punch colossus instead of fleeing from it, so casualties were high.

"Professional Fool" has never been more accurate. Remind me to never attempt to punch a giant metal golem in real life.

See? Dwarf Fortress is educational.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17