Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Form and Function - An Adventure RP - OOC [6/6-7] - Starting!  (Read 5477 times)

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile

Form and Function: Adventures in Animism

IC Thread.

In the primordial sea of stars, universes are born and destroyed by Time. It creates billions of galaxies, filled with lifeless planets, and lifeless stars. Time cannot create Life, and this is why it created The Universe. A singular entity to enter universes of Time's creation, and use it's powers to bring life into existence. The universes had started being something. Something more than an empty space designed for doom.

But all must come to an end. Thus, The Universe had to create Death, a force which destroyed all the Life it had created. This caused The Universe great strife, having to create something to destroy what it had once made, but what else could it do? It was a servant to Time, and that would never change...

In one of these many universes, a certain kind of life existed. In this universe (one of The Universe's personal favorites), all sapient beings (referred to as Shells) possess Cores. These Cores determine what a being's physical appearance will be like, and affect it down to the atomic level. These Cores follow a few rules, in that they cannot die (but may age if their form allows it), they cannot be sentient beings, there cannot be more than one Core per Shell, and that the Core must be somewhere in the universe that the Shell will go sometime in their life. It is thought that the Cores are placed randomly in the universe, but this is not the case. However, like many of The Universe's subtle machinations, it goes unnoticed. These rules have been broken in the past, but stand true nearly all of the time. When a Shell is fatally wounded, they will rebirth at their Core. This allows them to be essentially immortal, as long as their Core is not destroyed. However, they retain any non-fatal wounds, which must be healed through other means. This means that Shells are notoriously hard to kill, and wars are waged for millennia. The re-birthing process takes some time, however, so there is a period of waiting. Shells must still satisfy needs, however, if their Core requires it, such as eating, drinking and sleeping. All beings possess some amount of Aspects, which are based on what that being has done or is made of.

These beings live on various planets, and are extremely wide-ranging, from sentient blobs to giant creatures made of teeth. On one of these very planets, in a small, unnoticeable town on the western side of the great all-encompassing continent of Gaea, a group of adventurers reside within a Tavern. And not just any tavern, no, but the Rusted Toad itself. Famous for its collection of Ales that are guaranteed to incite projectile vomit, the Rusted Toad is about as low as you can get. Not even seedy, because the likes of those who visit seedy bars are too upper class for the Rusted Toad. No, only one kind of person visits here.

A dirt-poor, inexperienced, newbie adventurer. Which is why you are here. With your group of companions, you hope to find great riches, the secrets of the universe, or something. Really, a better beer would do it for you, but hey, aim for the moon so you can miss and inevitably fall crashing down back to earth, but hopefully in a place better than where you are now.

But that is for later. For now, a simple question will do. Who are you?

Welcome to Form and Function, a game based off of a lore universe I had sitting around, combined with some more complex systems that I want to test out. This will be a mix of plot-based RPing and D&D style adventuring, hopefully striking a balance between the two. Probably not, but one can hope.

Spoiler: System (click to show/hide)
((Any questions on the system can be asked, and if needed I will add some info.))

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Example Characters (Courtesy of Empiricist):

Spoiler: Lumberhack (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Oh deer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Slimy Shadows (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Real Science(tm) (click to show/hide)

Once I feel enough good quality sheets have been entered, I will post who has been approved. 8 players will be approved for this, and a waitlist may appear later on if attention is super high.

Here's a discord, too.

Character links: (Full sheets posted down below, these links do not have the Aspects added.)

SentientBowtie

Failbird105

Sl4cker

Tiruin

Pencil_Art

AbstractTraitorHero
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 01:51:12 am by spümpkin »
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Form and Function - An Adventure RP - OOC [0/8]
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 04:34:25 am »

Oh, cool! Question: Can we make a 1-sided die?

I'm mostly kidding. PTW. In any case, I won't be able to play until after the 27th, so I'll probably just watch for now.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Form and Function - An Adventure RP - OOC [6/6-7]
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 05:40:04 am »

Current Players:

Spoiler: Sl4cker (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: SentientBowtie (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Failbird105 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pencil_Art (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: AbstractTraitorHero (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:46:52 am by spümpkin »
When in doubt, use puns.
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
that's pretty gay

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:09:39 am »

....Is duct tape a valid thing to be made out of?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 09:20:40 am »

THIS SOUNDS AWESOME.
I'm going anthropomorphic due to influence from post-Legend-of-Korra planning by Bryan Konietzko. :P No humans! [/Threadworlds]
...And probably playing around with "Eastern" mythology and lore. :P

Combat will be played through players and enemies being represented on an ASCII map, and performing 'freeform' actions within the combat scenario
This may be a bit maintenance-heavy though :O I caution burnout and otherwise, because this premise seems AMAZING ♥
I also like how you configured the 'combat, adventuring, etc' areas to look like branching trees. :)
Going to write down an unedited draft. Too tired to edit at the moment. :-X :-[

QUESTIONS:
> Weapon/Armor 'qualities' have how many descriptors? What depth of detail are you looking for?
> And for the "Core", what kinds of ideas are you looking for? Can abstracted concepts be used? Is it only concrete ideas?
> In "Sides", is it possible to have a stat as low as 0? What is the maximum # that can be put in any 1 out of those 4 sides?
> I think I misunderstood the skills allocation points :P

EDIT:
As of this writing, I finally see the example sheet rather than a Coming Soon! mark. :P
I'm also of the feeling that given the most previous posts--you might've meant SENTIENT rather than SAPIENT.
Most animals are sentient, but only humans are sapient.
Given technical definitions, about the 'core' and that we base our characters on the core idea.
But I went with sapient and there you have it. :O
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:37:30 am by Tiruin »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 10:36:28 am »

Ptw
Black lives matter.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 02:54:52 pm »

Combat will be played through players and enemies being represented on an ASCII map, and performing 'freeform' actions within the combat scenario
This may be a bit maintenance-heavy though :O I caution burnout and otherwise, because this premise seems AMAZING ♥
Just gonna be using REXPaint for this, and potentially other editing software.

QUESTIONS:
> Weapon/Armor 'qualities' have how many descriptors? What depth of detail are you looking for?
> And for the "Core", what kinds of ideas are you looking for? Can abstracted concepts be used? Is it only concrete ideas?
> In "Sides", is it possible to have a stat as low as 0? What is the maximum # that can be put in any 1 out of those 4 sides?
> I think I misunderstood the skills allocation points :P
>Weapons/Armor can have 3 Qualities to start, and heavy detail is preferred. Unless it's a really simple concept, or something.
>Abstract concepts can be used, yes.
>Well, if you have a 1d0 in any of the stats you'll simply be rendered incapable of doing options in a certain manner. Maximum is undefined.
>Skills and Stats were allocated fine.

Your sheet looks good, just add qualities to the weapons and armor and I'll decide between the two weapons when I get more time.

This also reminded me to add something to the OP, which everyone should know (in System).

Also, you can have multiple dice for one stat. You can, for example, have 2d4 on one stat. Just making sure you know that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:56:26 pm by spümpkin »
When in doubt, use puns.
that's pretty gay

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 04:08:13 pm »

Also, you can have multiple dice for one stat. You can, for example, have 2d4 on one stat. Just making sure you know that.
How is this computed from the 24 sides? :x I don't understand how dice are computed that way other than adding to the latter number.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 04:49:11 pm »

scrapped for now while I brainstorm a better idea
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:10:52 pm by Elvish Miner »

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 05:56:24 pm »

How is this computed from the 24 sides? :x I don't understand how dice are computed that way other than adding to the latter number.
Well, 8 sides can split into 2d4s, or 1d8. You may not have anymore than 1 d1 per stat, and you can only have one kind of dice, but you can vary in between stats.

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)
You have more than 12 skill points applied.
When in doubt, use puns.
that's pretty gay

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 08:11:30 pm »

This piqued my interest. EDIT: Don't know if I'll be playing, though.

Million dollar question: What if you want to make something hastily out of improvised parts?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 02:41:53 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 08:52:00 pm »

This piqued my interest.

Million dollar question: What if you want to make something hastily out of improvised parts?
Improvising the parts would be counted as an Improvisation action (probably crafting) and the making of the thing with the parts would be Hastiness.
When in doubt, use puns.
that's pretty gay

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 11:21:02 pm »

Just for kicks.

Spoiler: not WIP (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:49:15 pm by Pencil_Art »

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 12:07:30 am »

PTW

This is fairly complex.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 03:14:52 pm »

Ptw, it will take me some time but it seems very interesting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4