Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Form and Function - An Adventure RP - OOC [6/6-7] - Starting!  (Read 5470 times)

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
Re: Form and Function - An Adventure RP - OOC [0/8]
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 07:43:03 am »

Added some more example sheets, hopefully this helps give an idea of what to make.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 08:18:56 am »

QUESTIONS:
> Weapon/Armor 'qualities' have how many descriptors? What depth of detail are you looking for?
> And for the "Core", what kinds of ideas are you looking for? Can abstracted concepts be used? Is it only concrete ideas?
> In "Sides", is it possible to have a stat as low as 0? What is the maximum # that can be put in any 1 out of those 4 sides?
> I think I misunderstood the skills allocation points :P
>Weapons/Armor can have 3 Qualities to start, and heavy detail is preferred. Unless it's a really simple concept, or something.
>Abstract concepts can be used, yes.
>Well, if you have a 1d0 in any of the stats you'll simply be rendered incapable of doing options in a certain manner. Maximum is undefined.
>Skills and Stats were allocated fine.

Your sheet looks good, just add qualities to the weapons and armor and I'll decide between the two weapons when I get more time.
I'll be silly with the assumed tech level then :P
And qualities = adjectives? :P Done!

Nobody else is taking some kind of sentient vs sapient thing? :O Woaaa. Those cores are creative.
Reposting sheet here and moving it from first post due to messiness.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I went silly with the background of weaponry material, like Titanium (because Titans in Greek Mythology) and then rolled in mythology for the names. :P

Also since I've no idea as to the Light/Medium/Heavy/Mystical--background nudging is that the metals used [Haderite?] being extremely susceptible to 'magic'. "Materia" is a term for materials, just being locally translated.

Oh goodness I'll just post and modify this ever since I ripped out my sheet >_>
Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:00:51 am by Tiruin »

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 10:47:24 am »

Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 07:14:28 pm »

Looks all good! Will add Aspects and put in OP.

A-ok. Will put in OP with Aspects soon.
When in doubt, use puns.
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
that's pretty gay

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 08:28:42 pm »

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:57:20 pm by Failbird105 »

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 09:30:32 pm »

Looks good to me. Will add aspects when I do that.

Also, everyone: I updated the OP once more to talk about armor, and what light/heavy/medium/mystical means.
When in doubt, use puns.
that's pretty gay

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 09:37:29 pm »

Spoiler: Wild Jack (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:48:27 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 09:45:02 pm »

Also, you can have multiple dice for one stat. You can, for example, have 2d4 on one stat. Just making sure you know that.
How is this computed from the 24 sides? :x I don't understand how dice are computed that way other than adding to the latter number.
Well, 8 sides can split into 2d4s, or 1d8. You may not have anymore than 1 d1 per stat, and you can only have one kind of dice, but you can vary in between stats.
Wait, does this mean that I can put a 24d1 in a stat and always roll a 24?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Form and Function - An Adventure RP - OOC [3/8]
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 09:50:01 pm »

24d1 means "rolling a one-sided die 24 times", so no, you can't. You can only have 1 one-sided die per stat, as stated.

1d24 is totally okay though, AFAIK. :P
Black lives matter.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 09:55:54 pm »

Also, you can have multiple dice for one stat. You can, for example, have 2d4 on one stat. Just making sure you know that.
How is this computed from the 24 sides? :x I don't understand how dice are computed that way other than adding to the latter number.
Well, 8 sides can split into 2d4s, or 1d8. You may not have anymore than 1 d1 per stat, and you can only have one kind of dice, but you can vary in between stats.
Start out with a 1dx, and increase from there :P Spoopy pumpkin said that in her notes, higher rolls = higher intensity of effects, so it can be a double-edged result at times. It's not a linear 'lower roles == bad', as far as I read into it, as it seems she made a complex but simple to understand game.

I like the premise a lot.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 10:08:11 pm »

24d1 means "rolling a one-sided die 24 times", so no, you can't. You can only have 1 one-sided die per stat, as stated.

1d24 is totally okay though, AFAIK. :P
But the quote that I quoted says that you can spilt your dice into multiple smaller dice, as long as the number of dice*sides per die=24 (assuming that all of your dice across all of your stats have the same number of sides).

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 10:27:41 pm »

Well yeah, but you can still only have a single one-sided die per stat. Because that's what Spumpkin said in their post.
You may not have anymore than 1 d1 per stat,
Black lives matter.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 10:52:37 pm »

No, for that reason exactly.

d0s are fine, it just means you cannot do any action of that kind. Since you only have 1d24 as your dice, you can only ever improvise.

Start out with a 1dx, and increase from there :P Spoopy pumpkin said that in her notes, higher rolls = higher intensity of effects, so it can be a double-edged result at times. It's not a linear 'lower roles == bad', as far as I read into it, as it seems she made a complex but simple to understand game.

I like the premise a lot.
More like an xdy, but if y=1 then x cannot be greater than 1. Lower is generally less effective and higher is more effective, but the intensity of those effects is increased by the number of total sides on the dice.

Remember that if you have a 1d1 in a stat, you're making it so (until you gain more sides) you cannot be any more than pathetic in performing that kind of action.

Didn't put this in the OP at first, but going to add now: Since the more sides a dice has, the higher intensity it is, if you have multiple lower-sided dice, you're more likely to be successful, just at a lower effectiveness. If you have 2d10s, for example, and roll 2 10s, it'll be less effective than rolling a 20 on a 1d20.

Spoiler: Wild Jack (click to show/hide)
Gonna have to say no for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if your character has your Core as an item, that means you will either die very fast or be invincible. Your Core is basically your Phylactery, and if it's destroyed you are too, without any way to get back. Secondly, your character doesn't really seem to be designed with the Core in mind, as it's just a... generic guy, really. You have to remember that 'races' are barely a thing in this universe. Humans sure don't exist, because Cores are random. They don't follow any sort of sense. See example sheets for good incorporation of Cores in design.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:06:42 pm by spümpkin »
When in doubt, use puns.
that's pretty gay

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 08:51:28 am »

Spoiler: nomen muta (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:57:58 pm by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 06:05:22 pm »

I'm still confused about how multiple dice works. For example, in the OP, you say that multiple low dice results are less effectice then one high dice result (eg. Two 10s from 2d10 less effective than one 20 from 1d20).
> How does that work? Is it because dice roll results are not cumulative? Does this mean the main use of multiple dice is to reroll checks?
> Are the intensities of successes or failures based on how far away from a specific difficulty check they are? Eg, a result of 1 is a more intense failure than 2 if the difficulty check is 5
> If a low role is not necessarily bad, how do you figure out how bad a role is?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:12:23 pm by Pencil_Art »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4