Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod idea! (And questions)  (Read 1033 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Mod idea! (And questions)
« on: April 11, 2017, 04:18:03 am »

I'm still new to this, but i'm considering making DF mods based on Magic: The Gathering! Likely based off the Innistrad blocks, later adding in cards from other blocks.

My main question is: Is there a way to make infectious diseases? Things like vampirism, werewolfism, everything, but different from whats in vanilla due to specifically being wolves, as well as vampires infecting through their bite no matter what instead of killing their prey. Also, Phyrexians.

My other question is if it's possible to have one race make more necromancers than others. For example, lets say I have the 4 vanilla civs, humans, dwarves, elves, and goblins... Could I make it so elves are much more likely to become necromancers,

My current ideas are as follows:

Civs:

First up, Gavony. White-alligned (So good). Theyd use all sorts of relevant weapons (As in, the various peices of equipment from the Innistrad blocks), a unique alloy (Probably something based on Moonsilver), a rare caste-variant of angels, while humans are several times more common.

Secondly, Kessig. Green-alligned with hints of red.. Also a heavily human nation, the problem is that they commonly become werewolves. Theyre very similar to elves, but have farm-tool based weapons (Likely modified off the raws from LC's Terrible Weapons, with her consent), access to metal, and they dont sell "Grown" wood. They'd probably expand a lot quicker than, say, Gavony.

Third, Nephalia (Probably blue alligned). I dont really have much of an idea what to do with them; I mean, I could make Stromkirk Vampires a part of them. Maybe make them better artists than the rest with more toys and the likes, and make them become geists from time to time on death.

Fourth, Stesnia (Black alligned with hints of red as well). Theyd be most likely vampiric. Evil but fancy, dwelling in the mountains. I dont know much of what to do to them.

Finally, some kobold-like race of Stitcher necromancers. Need I go further?

Next up, creatures.

One thing that could be cool is a series of megabeasts centred around legendary creatures (unfortunately, there seems to just be The Gitrog Monster and Ishkanah, Grafwidow for legendaries of the plane) and some of the bigger animals found around. For example, Vorstclaw, a large, basic giant tree monster pretty much, the Thing in the Ice/Awoken Horror, a giant kraken of sorts, Craterhoof Behemoth (I cant even describe that thing will right now), etc.

Besides megabeasts, I wanna try and give most big and small creatures from Innistrad (and maybe core sets from around Innistrad's release) representation to allow for an experience almost completely unrelated to Vanilla DF; a bigger feeling of hopelessness, a bigger emphasis on facing hordes of enemies, and the likes.

After finishing things from Innistrad, I'd probably focus on cards from another somewhat fear-focused plane; Shadowmoor (And Lorwyn by extension); making scarecrows, treefolk, fairies, all of it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:10:41 am by Kyubee »
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Mod idea! (And questions)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 06:14:20 pm »

This sounds fun. PTW
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 12:52:25 am »

Whats PTW stand for?
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 12:55:48 am »

Posting To Watch
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Shub-Nullgurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 01:24:53 am »

You should check out the 5e manuals for MtG. They have creature blocks in. Drop me a message if you can't find them. Also highly recommend jumping in the Discord in my sig if you have modding questions.

My other question is if it's possible to have one race make more necromancers than others. For example, lets say I have the 4 vanilla civs, humans, dwarves, elves, and goblins... Could I make it so elves are much more likely to become necromancers,

I don't think you can do it so they're more likely to become necromancers, but you can definitely limit it by race.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 06:05:30 pm »

I don't think you can do it so they're more likely to become necromancers, but you can definitely limit it by race.

Oh? How so? Sorry, new to modding

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 10:56:13 am »

Only mortal races can become necromancers.

There may be personality traits that can influence it as well, but I'm not sure if it's been tested.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 10:23:06 pm »

It's been made now, everyone, the first release of Planar Fortress is out. Thank you all for your support. you can check it out here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163790.0

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 08:27:49 am »

For Phyrexians, I'd take a look at how IndigoPhoenix made the Machine Made work in Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom - they operate in a similar way.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 07:44:57 pm »

For Phyrexians, I'd take a look at how IndigoPhoenix made the Machine Made work in Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom - they operate in a similar way.

Honestly, i refuse to touch the phyrexians until i have normal creatures around. same with the Eldrazi; though I may add in reactions based around the two.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:06:21 am by Kyubee »