Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rate the username story of the poster above you.  (Read 1599 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Rate the username story of the poster above you.
« on: April 11, 2017, 03:10:39 am »

It's interesting how everyone made their usernames so tell your stories and rate the ones above you.

I made this username when I joined Bay12 and decided to stick with it. It's connected to my real life surname which in Polish means a small snowflake and I added dwarf because Dwarf Fortress. Now everyone, even in real life calls me Snow.

Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Rate the username story of the poster above you.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 01:00:10 am »

I was in a novelty shop flipping through some small...

Oh, rate your story? snow dwarf? I guess it isn't a game if I don't, hmm.

I judge that story to be:
CUTE *audience: aww*
No it's a solid name. Almost elemental. Literally, in fact.

I was in a novelty shop flipping through some small half foot by half foot square paper frame prints of paintings. There were puppies and spiders, and kittens, and when I saw A human heart surrounded by a white rose, I couldn't look away. After staring at it I concurred that... that was my name. I honestly considered legally changing my name to Rose Heart(maybe still will).

I purchased it for $10 and left.
He who knows
he has enough
is rich.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 01:50:38 am »

Very good story!

I once made a typo: instead of "Kitty Cat" I wrote "KittyTac". I started using it in various communities. KittyCat is a pretty boring internet name anyways. KittyTac is better.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 01:55:35 am »

Mine sucks.

I wanted one that pays at least some lipservice to my aberrant personality. (Or at least, my 'not of the ordinary' personality).  I also wanted one that would (at the time, early 90s) evade spam robots. So, I decided to misspell the name on purpose, and use the addage:

"I before E when talking about ME, E before I when describing the guy."

I have kept the handle for many decades. I see no reason to change it.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 02:03:51 am »

Mine sucks.

I wanted one that pays at least some lipservice to my aberrant personality. (Or at least, my 'not of the ordinary' personality).  I also wanted one that would (at the time, early 90s) evade spam robots. So, I decided to misspell the name on purpose, and use the addage:

"I before E when talking about ME, E before I when describing the guy."

I have kept the handle for many decades. I see no reason to change it.

((You didn't rate mine.))

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 10:45:39 pm »

Ok..  It seems pretty ordinary. 5/10?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 10:46:40 pm »

Yours is fine. 6/10.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 11:08:49 pm »

KittyTac is a good name. Reminds me of Tic Tacs. Also reminds me of some old lolcat memes. Pretty good.

NAV is just the short version of my real life middle name in all caps.
It is what everyone who knew me more than 3 or so years ago calls me.
Most people I met since then call me by my very boring first name.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 11:34:59 pm »

Pretty nice story and the name is good

I thought I will talk on df more so I chose a name with the word rock in it and I was a bit hungry at the time
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 04:17:51 am »

So nothing to do with eating rocks?  How disappointing...but it still makes me laugh.  6/10

Phoenix based on my work ethic...my tendency to start projects, overwork myself and burn out, and then pick them up again later.  I've gotten better about it by remembering to take occasional breaks before that happens.

Indigo because some aura person called me that, and I looked it up, and it fit me pretty well I guess.

I spell it "Fenix" because phoenix is hard to spell and I didn't want to have to check every possible misspelling when searching for my name.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 04:22:14 am »

Now I wonder if I ever misspelled your name,will happend eventually.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Aliemma

• Bay Watcher
  • Rejecting reality and substituting my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 01:20:03 pm »

Oooh, a correlating name, nice! 8/10.

I was playing Dokapon Journey for the first (and last; ai sucks) time, and went with valkyrie. I decided that I needed a cooler sounding name than my irl one, so I mashed two names together in my head, pronounced it in the most medieval-ish accent I could think of, and decided it worked. Now it's my name on everything.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 01:47:33 pm »

Not bad. 6.5 out of 10

I made my username when I was 6 a bunch of years ago. I was really into pirates at the time and as such I used the name Pirate, however, I had to have more then just Pirate as a username so I thought for a bit and tried coming up with something that rolled off the tongue better then my real name, so I went with Pirate Joe and then punched in 2 numbers at random. Sometimes I use numbers in my username, other times I don't.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 01:19:50 pm »

6/10 pirates are naturally cool

It was cold dark night around 11 years ago on August 30 2010  and i just got The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion for my birthday that day and i was stuck on the character naming screen and i have no clue why but i was like "Archimedes Wojak is a cool name for an argonian battlemage"

Oblivion remains one of my favorites
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:24:51 pm by ArchimedesWojak »
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 05:10:56 pm »

but i was like "Archimedes Wojak is a cool name for an argonian battlemage"
I can't pretend to know why you landed on that, still, but it's definitely one to remember. 8.5/10?

I could wax lyrical about other usernames (past and parallel in the present) that I have constructed.

The one that was the letter-reverse of an old BBS handle I used. The autogenerated MUD character name that was so apt to my in-game enrollment as a priest of Fish that I semi-reused its non-fish root element in a criminally-modified form for my preplanned-to-be Thief. The definitely anti-zombie survivor in a webgame whose name was inspired by a featured antique-brandishing member of the public's family story in the Antiques Roadshow, the prior night, more than a decade ago, to my deciding to rejoining that game after years of absence. A sometimes re-used (or thematically paralleled) use of 'a random thing in the cutlery drawer' that is the closest thing I have for a name I've used across various electronic presences. The semi-recurring name across Android devices (device account) that derived from a single-episode character in The Young Ones that work colleagues decided I was like, at about the time I needed to conjure up a Google account name...

But none of these are relevent. And I'm not one for linking my various electronic lives together by being more explicit, this is just mentioned for contrast. I've mentioned the reason for 'Starver', on Bay12, on far too many prior occasions to really surprise anyone who has been paying attention but, for the sake of thread-judgement, here you are again...

I was just so terrible at food-production when I first started fortresses. It's different now, as I've now rejected  pretty much all forms of food production except the supremely trivial arable farming (proper field plots, mostly) which serves most of my needs (though I bulk it up with various forms of animal husbandry and butchery, for variety and materials that can't be cultivated) but when I first made my presence known here I was absolutely no stranger to the supremely ironic message of the form Urist McHunter cancels hunt: Hunting for vermin. A starvation-cascade was pretty much the usual result of my games at that time.

(I got better!)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 05:14:16 pm by Starver »
Pages: [1] 2