Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: The Downtown Game: Day 2: Dungeons and Drag-ons.  (Read 12521 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: The Downtown Game: Day 1: Turn 4
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2017, 12:52:22 pm »

(Just to be clear, are you willing to make up new Psyches for this, or will everything be from the games?)

Edit: Maybe we should all agree on a single format for char-sheets, so that Mastah can find the information he needs quicker?
I make up new things all the time. I'll try to stick to canon psychs, but since my system works so differently, I'm not opposed to making my own.

A single format would certainly make my life easier, but I'm not going to necessitate it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fabulous to the bitter end
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2017, 05:39:41 pm »

She wants to have a balance of close and far range, but they should also help eachother in some way. Perhaps if she could slow the frogs down, maybe even stop them..some black-hole-y ball of some sort would work well. A point of vacuum should be reasonable. But it's not like her mind cares much how. So she just attempted to send some pulling sphere away from her, toward the frogs. A pillar of some might also work, likely of wind. Mini tornadoes could also work, right?

In the words of Zarya:
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"

I didn't choose the Fabulous life, it chose me.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2017, 06:32:28 pm »

Do Psychs have to be offensive in nature? Could you, for example, summon a bound suit of armor for yourself, give yourself wings, or restore your or another character's energy (before it hits 0)?

Can you have both positive and negative energy, or do you have to choose one or the other?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2017, 06:50:35 pm »

"I heard sprinting noises behind me, was someone trying to following me? Maybe it was that persons trying to fight those inter-dimensional frogs and getting rekt by attacking them. I think I'm going to need his help."
Dodge this turn, getting hit by frogs is really uncomfortable..
Spoiler: Dylan Daehler (click to show/hide)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2017, 07:12:43 pm »

She wants to have a balance of close and far range, but they should also help eachother in some way. Perhaps if she could slow the frogs down, maybe even stop them..some black-hole-y ball of some sort would work well. A point of vacuum should be reasonable. But it's not like her mind cares much how. So she just attempted to send some pulling sphere away from her, toward the frogs. A pillar of some might also work, likely of wind. Mini tornadoes could also work, right?

In the words of Zarya:
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Exactly. Sweeper, not black hole.

Anyway, I was looking at Sara's stellar fury, and it seems to be underpowered. Its two good sides are being able to spread damage over more Noise at will, and holding back extra energy usage. However, with its low accuracy, it deals only 10 damage per turn on average compared to Shockwave's 14 for the same amount of energy...if the enemy has no defense. In TWEWY terms, it has low efficiency, since defense applies to each hit individually, making defense resist it much more. If this game had individual player strengths, I think it would sorta balance it, but no sign of that has been given so far. Also, it's energy regen is lower, taking an extra turn to regain positive attacks compared to Shockwave.

Double ninja: Athath, there are defensive/status-afflicting/healing Psyches, but only thif last one is in the original game. For everyone's reference, a list of Psyches can be found right here. Also, both types of attacks can be used. In fact, in this system, it would be reccomended, since you would have two pools of energy available to use and regen, allowing you to use Psyches more often.
And Shadow, make a deal to help out Ross when he comes to section II next turn. You'll be able to fight off the Noise. He's your only option right now. Also, if you choose an offensive action for after the pact now, you can stop being the amphibians' punchingkicking bag.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2017, 07:44:53 pm »

Keep on running and keep on following Dylan.
Spoiler: Ross Roosevelt (click to show/hide)
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2017, 08:05:37 pm »

Anyway, I was looking at Sara's stellar fury, and it seems to be underpowered. Its two good sides are being able to spread damage over more Noise at will, and holding back extra energy usage. However, with its low accuracy, it deals only 10 damage per turn on average compared to Shockwave's 14 for the same amount of energy...if the enemy has no defense. In TWEWY terms, it has low efficiency, since defense applies to each hit individually, making defense resist it much more. If this game had individual player strengths, I think it would sorta balance it, but no sign of that has been given so far. Also, it's energy regen is lower, taking an extra turn to regain positive attacks compared to Shockwave.

Too tired to math, but does that calculate the +1 to accuracy for each continuous attack?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2017, 08:15:21 pm »

Do Psychs have to be offensive in nature? Could you, for example, summon a bound suit of armor for yourself, give yourself wings, or restore your or another character's energy (before it hits 0)?
Defense powers, yes.
Movement powers, yes.
Health restoration, yes.
Energy restoration, no. I think that'd be overpowered.

Can you have both positive and negative energy, or do you have to choose one or the other?
In the video game, each individual psych had it's own power and reload, so you basically had up to 6 different ammo types.
I reduced this to 2 for simplicity's sake. Yes, you have both. It's better if you do, so one can be used while the other reloads.

The percieved low accuracy is not as bad as it seems. In the spoiler on melee and ranged attacks, I pointed out how consecutive attacks on a target raises the hit stat. Attack one has a hit of 5, but attack two gets 6, then 7, then 8, which is higher than anything else so far.
Also, if your second (or subsequent) power also doesn't take a full turn, you can start chaining different attacks together. It's not as bad as it seems. And you can always upgrade it later. Edit: Ninja'd

Double ninja: Athath, there are defensive/status-afflicting/healing Psyches, but only thif last one is in the original game. For everyone's reference, a list of Psyches can be found right here. Also, both types of attacks can be used. In fact, in this system, it would be reccomended, since you would have two pools of energy available to use and regen, allowing you to use Psyches more often.
Yeah, this too. (I actually browsed through that very page before making this game :P)
The Derail Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2017, 10:12:56 pm »

I'm avoiding looking at existing ones and hoping something new is made.

Also, considering I'm using punches with my psych, I swear, I'm becoming more Jojo than I intended
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2017, 10:36:52 pm »

I'll reserve a spot now, and make a sheet when I actually get in.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2017, 07:36:23 pm »

...whoops.

Imagine a pocketknife into being and stab the froggy to death with it.

Spoiler: Donny DiBorgo (click to show/hide)
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2017, 11:16:31 pm »

I would update this right now, but I am tired.
Expect update tomorrow.

By the way, are people enjoying this so far?
The Derail Thread

Fabulous death bringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Fabulous to the bitter end
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2017, 11:27:32 pm »

I would update this right now, but I am tired.
Expect update tomorrow.

By the way, are people enjoying this so far?

I wait with the up most anticipation,

I am loving it, mostly because it is nothing like I experienced before, new rules, interesting delivery, essentially limitless potential, I like how we essentially choose our abilities

and I just love it over all, it is fun trying to plan out how I want to build my character out in abilities and to see how the dynamic of the partners will evolve.
almost every day I wait excited for another post just itching to see what happens next
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:53:14 am by Fabulous death bringer »
I didn't choose the Fabulous life, it chose me.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Downtown Game: Day 1: Turn 5
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2017, 12:31:41 am »

2:40:06

Joe Joseph and Donny DiBorgo
Joe charges forward and swings at the last frog. [9. Miss] The frog makes a short hop to the side, avoiding him.

Donny [?] balls up his hand and a grey blade forms in his palm. With a trio of slashs, he makes short work of the last frog.
Frog 2 Erased

Spoiler: Donny's second power (click to show/hide)

Joe and Donny gain +1% Sync Rate and 40 Yen

They look around as the glow from the light puck fades around Joe, it seems that now that they can fight back, the frogs aren't chasing anymore.

Ted Thompson and Lily LaBlanc
[?]Ted, seeing that Lily seems to have the first frog under control, turns his focus to the second and violently brings his hand down as a massive scimitar cuts it clear in two.

Frog 2 Erased

Spoiler: Ted's first power (click to show/hide)

Lily flips her scythe around and [9. Miss] plants it straight into the ground.

The light puck passes from Ted to Lily at x1.4 power

The frog [7. Miss] loses its footing as both attacks shake the ground around it.

Noise:
Frog 1: 20 Damage
Frog 2: Erased

Ross Roosevelt
Ross keeps running after the boy, and finally reaches him!
Also, there seems to be a pair of girls here who can actually fight these things!
Lucky day!

[3. Hit] A frog leaps at Ross and slashes him in the back.
Not so lucky day!
-5 Health

Dylan Daehler
Dylan watches as the two girls fight, and that weird kid from earlier catches up to him.
[9+4=13. Miss] He considers dodging the frog that's been attacking him, but he's enamored with watching it trip over its own feet.

Roésse Radde and Sara Sarowski
[?]Roésse balls her hands together as a vortex forms before her, drawing in the frogs into a clump, as they struggle to escape.

Spoiler: Roésse's second power (click to show/hide)

[?]Sara watches as the enemies get clumped together, and conjures a psychic flame into it.

Frog 2 Erased. 20 damage on Frogs 3 and 4
Spoiler: Sara's second power (click to show/hide)

Roésse retains the light puck at x1.2 power.

Frog 3 [9+3=12. Miss] can't escape the vortex!
Frog 4 [5+3=8. Miss] pulls itself out, but is sucked back in!

Noise:
Frog 1: Erased
Frog 2: Erased
Frog 3: 20 damage
Frog 4: 20 damage

Spoiler: Locations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM note (click to show/hide)
The Derail Thread

Elvish Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2017, 05:30:45 am »

Sara chuckles.It seems we make a great team.

Sara uses Stellar Flurry on one of the remaining frogs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13