Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Author Topic: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake  (Read 51341 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake
« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2020, 06:32:12 am »

RotP is how any MoO1 remake should be, it keeps everything that works and that people liked when playing MoO1 and improve on what could be actually improved (instead of being reworked and ending in something none enjoy, as it happened with MoO3), it comes with many "quality of life" features by example.

MoO2 gameplay and features were very different from MoO1 so it does not compare. Personnally i always liked MoO1 more than MoO2, even if MoO2 is one of the best 4X.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 25, 2020, 08:29:09 am »

It was a time for vengeance.
Those space monsters have been monstrous  ( 8) ) threats on Tiny universes.
So the Psilons decided to move to a bigger one and see .

And the Psilons saw, in a non-Tiny universe they had time and enough worlds to avoid massive empire destruction in no time, it was time to research and time to build.

The space monsters did a carnage, but due to the universe size the various empires endured, lack of dead world technology allowed to keep conquerors from getting too big.
The Psilons were smart and also got the dead world technology so they still had hope in case of a possible space monster disaster .

One day the space Amoeba came to the Thomson world
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The battle was intense and despite a brave fight our defending fleets were lost, but the hercular missiles from our many defense bases finally prevailed, though the amoeba that was splitting every few turns became a bit bugged visually at some point (i guess one of the split parts should not have split due to having already low health but still did and buggered the visuals as it looked like there was 2 amoeba at the same place, and another was destroyed but its sprite was still there)

The Psilons weren't really lazy on the research side , as they continued to improve their technology, enough to give birth to what would be their masterpiece , a ship so powerfull they estimated it would allow them to conquer the universe with fleets of them, they named it the "Ultimate Destroyer" , so none would underestimate the threat

Money and time was lost into building the first fleet of them, but it was not in vain, because a space Crystal entity appeared over the Thomson world sector (looks like there was something attractive there for both space monsters to target it).
The thing annihilated immediately a vast swarm of small fighters carrying Auto-Blasters but the Ultimate Destroyers endured and supported by Thompson defense system eradicated the creature.

The Darloks, our most ancient enemy and nemesis in that game that destroyed a couple of our worlds earlier knew that the end was coming for them.
And indeed they were right, more of our very expensive and powerfull Ultimate Destroyers were assembled and the Darloks empire was now under assault on many worlds at the same time, massive amount of transport vessels were unloading legions of soldiers conquering their planets once their defenses and ships were destroyed.
The ship losses were acceptable as it allowed the Psilons to finally end the Darloks presence in that universe.

In the other side of the known (as there was a part i had no reach yet) universe amongst the dead worlds, the Meklars terminated the Humans , our allies.
This would not stand. But it would come in time.

The Psilons eyes were on Orion, the mythical world, not only because the rumoured technology but because being nearly at the center of all, it would give us a good way to reach the for now half-unreachable part of the Meklar empire.
A fleet of Ultimate Destroyer reached Orion and faced the Guardian
Power vs Power , but the Ultimate Destroyers were more powerfull in number, 2 of our massive ships were lost in the battle but Orion was now ours !

And the victorious Psilons discovered :

that was announcing the coming apocalypse for the Meklar.

EDIT

So the Psilons decided to make an even more powerfull ship , because why not :D , and named it the "Ultima Annihilator".

They attacked our Orion first, the fools, Orion was quickly built up with all the reserve founding of the Psilons empire and had defensive fleets laughing at the Meklars pea shooters and enough missile bases to make sure there was no threat left in case the fleets fell.

What followed was destruction on an universal scale that brought down the Meklars and destroyed their whole empire, down to 1 world, Ogat (a world they probably took from the Humans or Alkari anyways).

While the Psilons powerfull fleet was in orbit, only the couple of Ultima Annihilators moved through the barrage of useless defense missiles, then once they got into close orbit, they unleashed death rays and blacks holes on the last Meklar world, ending the cybernetic creatures threat once and for all.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:35:21 am by Robsoie »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2020, 02:08:57 pm »

RotP is how any MoO1 remake should be, it keeps everything that works and that people liked when playing MoO1 and improve on what could be actually improved (instead of being reworked and ending in something none enjoy, as it happened with MoO3), it comes with many "quality of life" features by example.

MoO2 gameplay and features were very different from MoO1 so it does not compare. Personnally i always liked MoO1 more than MoO2, even if MoO2 is one of the best 4X.
Thanks for the info!! That sounds like how you should do a remake, I think I'm finally gonna take the plunge and try this out

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2020, 01:39:33 pm »

I had a lot of fun with my Psilon playthrough, only for a dreaded crystal entity bug to kill the save. A shame, as I had closed off my (literal) corner of the galaxy so I could tech up.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2020, 04:17:15 pm »

Depending on your universe size surviving the space monsters is really a rush toward researches to be able to build things that can actually deal with them.

The worst is the tiny universe as it can really be really mercilessly destroying you (but if you're lucky the space monsters can act as your superweapons if they spawn in other empires, tearing them apart while you're safe).

On my Mrrshan game i decided to go back to tiny universe (my previous win was on a normal one) , knowing what i know of space monsters in tiny sized universe i expanded very quickly so i could have lot of planets in order to afford lot of research as the goal is to prepare for the coming of those doomsday entities.

Very difficult as expanding in tiny sized universe means you're then going at war with other races quickly as they're all offended a big empire is on their own borders (and it happens fast due to the size).

So you can research only with worlds inside of your empire, the border systems are used for defense + ship production (and half the time you have to change your research worlds into ship production to reinforce your hammered borders as if they're usually the most recently conquered worlds and do not have the ship production capacity of your interior systems yet).

Still it was not fast enough to reach good enough tech to afford to resist the crystal and amoeba that spawn at +/- turn 100.
Because both the crystal and the amoeba decided to spawn in my empire.

First target was my homeworld Fieras (that also was the best production world even if i used at that point mostly for research), and second target was the nice artifact system (that was the biggest research contributor by far).

From there my empire was just screwed.
Space monsters really makes the rules in tiny universe :D

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 29, 2020, 10:37:26 am »

I had a lot of fun with my Psilon playthrough, only for a dreaded crystal entity bug to kill the save. A shame, as I had closed off my (literal) corner of the galaxy so I could tech up.

The Crystal Entity bug should be fixed and you should be able to resume your game.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 30, 2020, 01:00:47 am »

Thanks - I had picked up a slightly newer version and that got me past the Crystal Entity bug. That game ran another ~45 turns. On turn 40, I lost the galactic election to someone who was placed centrally and simply had contact and could form trade agreements with most of the races. I chose to go to Final War because I had a one to two tier tech advantage over everyone else, and I should be safe, right?

Unfortunately, a massive wave of single ship fleets to spawn all along the edge of the map for various species, so that slowed the turns down to a crawl, and then final war also seems to be massively bugged - though I couldn't find any documentation on it, I can't believe that it's correct that the hostiles can target any of my systems, including ones in the bottom right corner, 20+ light years from the nearest hostile world.

My one big complaint across multiple games now on Normal difficulty is that there is no variation in AI strategy in regards to their ships. EVERY AI, without fail, produces 90%+ medium ships, generally of a bomber type with one main gun and a few bombs. There are no Alkari swarms of small ships, no Ursine/Silicoid large/huge fleets. Just all medium ships, all the time, for all species.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2020, 01:17:40 am »

Thanks - I had picked up a slightly newer version and that got me past the Crystal Entity bug. That game ran another ~45 turns. On turn 40, I lost the galactic election to someone who was placed centrally and simply had contact and could form trade agreements with most of the races. I chose to go to Final War because I had a one to two tier tech advantage over everyone else, and I should be safe, right?

Unfortunately, a massive wave of single ship fleets to spawn all along the edge of the map for various species, so that slowed the turns down to a crawl, and then final war also seems to be massively bugged - though I couldn't find any documentation on it, I can't believe that it's correct that the hostiles can target any of my systems, including ones in the bottom right corner, 20+ light years from the nearest hostile world.

Well, I guess they could have really good fuel tech, or there could be an unspotted system closer than you think.  The game should be taking all the other AI empires and clumping them into one.  That first turn afterwards has got to be painful on the computer if that were done correctly.

My one big complaint across multiple games now on Normal difficulty is that there is no variation in AI strategy in regards to their ships. EVERY AI, without fail, produces 90%+ medium ships, generally of a bomber type with one main gun and a few bombs. There are no Alkari swarms of small ships, no Ursine/Silicoid large/huge fleets. Just all medium ships, all the time, for all species.

That sounds like a bug/unrefined feature as well.  Where are the over-teched Psilon tiny ships that can either destroy ships three times their size if they actually last a turn, or that take forever to swat away but do almost no damage?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 30, 2020, 07:09:41 am »

On my Psilon victory i obtained Thorium Cells at some point, that allowed unlimited ship range for any ship.
Maybe that's what the AI had to be able to reach your far away systems ?
Though while it's not the highest end Propulsion tech, it's still high on it ( the 9th level of Propulsion research from what i see) so it should take time.

Never got to the Final War against me, so can't say about its possible bugs.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 30, 2020, 07:55:14 am »

Re ship sizes. Won a play through of 1.8 on harder with the Bulrathi. A "diplomatic win" which is a fairly diplomatic way of saying I parked huge ships in orbit of my closest rival's planets & bombed the **** out of them. The AI was using all medium ships for most of the game, later on some large (perhaps 5 to 1 medium/large?) & no huge ships. No smalls outside of scouting. They don't actually seem to respond well to huge ships, their big concentrated fleets tend to have enough to take 1 down, but the bulk of their planets don't. So 1 huge ship will just roll planet after planet & you never lose it because it's a massive chunk of armour.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 30, 2020, 08:19:56 am »

@EuchreJack: Well, I had started in the corner of the galaxy and over the course of two wars, either conquered or bombed any AI worlds until I had a moat of uninhabited systems 5ly wide around my empire.

@Robsoie: The point about Thorium cells is possible, but not likely - I was playing one of the three Psilon worlds, and was the largest empire by a wide margin with most of those worlds plowing their resources into research, so I was a good 2+ tech levels ahead of most of the rest of the species, and I was only TL 4/5 when the Final War triggered.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 30, 2020, 02:15:17 pm »

I'm seeing a situation where I can just scam the ai by playing ring around the rosy with a bunch of asteroids. I have a bunch of medium bombers & a large ship with ion cannons. Everyone is the same speed. The ai ships keep chasing the bombers & never get a shot off while my large ship destroys them.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 01, 2020, 08:54:49 pm »

The AI is still a work in progress. I've seen large ships, though,

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 01, 2020, 09:11:46 pm »

That 1.10 changelog looks great, will have to get a game going tomorrow to see how the entity speed vs map size changes will impact the heavy space monsters influence on everyone empires in tiny universe.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 02, 2020, 02:03:05 am »

I'm seeing a situation where I can just scam the ai by playing ring around the rosy with a bunch of asteroids. I have a bunch of medium bombers & a large ship with ion cannons. Everyone is the same speed. The ai ships keep chasing the bombers & never get a shot off while my large ship destroys them.

The asteroids are randomly generated each combat so you can't really do that very often. In addition, asteroids slowly despawn during combat specifically to curtail the frequency of situations like this.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18