Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake  (Read 51356 times)

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2017, 01:17:56 pm »

Alpha 3.10 is close to pseudo-random on its assignment of leader pictures to leaders when viewing the Races panel (all tabs).  The assignment is inconsistent across save-loading, and mousing over a leader picture can change it.

I was trying out Ring Galaxy, 500 stars, 6x3 AIs.  The instability starts with the first AI I found, and got more unpredictable the more AIs I found.

Oh, thanks. I know what is causing this. Will fix tonight when I get home from work.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2017, 01:43:47 pm »

I have been unable to launch Remnants.jar starting with 3.10 by double clicking on it, while it worked in 3.09

It only launched when i started with
java -jar -Xmx1g Remnants.jar aaa

And oddly it does not work with
java -jar -Xmx2g Remnants.jar aaa
in which it tells me it can't reserve enough space for heap

(despite i have 3g of ram and 2g worked in early 3.x versions)

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2017, 01:51:17 pm »

I have been unable to launch Remnants.jar starting with 3.10 by double clicking on it, while it worked in 3.09

It only launched when i started with
java -jar -Xmx1g Remnants.jar aaa

And oddly it does not work with
java -jar -Xmx2g Remnants.jar aaa
in which it tells me it can't reserve enough space for heap

(despite i have 3g of ram and 2g worked in early 3.x versions)

I did change the way the memory is allocated at the beginning, based on free vs. total memory. I'll revisit this tonight and revert if necessary.

edit: Can you try starting it from the command line without specifying memory, like this:
java -jar Remnants.jar aaa

And tell me if you see any lines in the command output starting with:
"maxMB: "...
and maybe
"restarting with MB: "...

This information will help me make sure I don't try to overallocate.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:55:09 pm by RayFowler »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2017, 02:39:53 pm »

Unfortunately on the bunch of lines that appears (the game start correctly with that command line without the -Xmx) , there's no lines with
maxMB:
restarting with MB:

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2017, 02:44:09 pm »

Unfortunately on the bunch of lines that appears (the game start correctly with that command line without the -Xmx) , there's no lines with
maxMB:
restarting with MB:

Still, that's good information.

edit: please try 3.11 now and see if your startup problem is fixed
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:56:01 pm by RayFowler »

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2017, 05:45:49 am »

Alpha 3.10 is close to pseudo-random on its assignment of leader pictures to leaders when viewing the Races panel (all tabs).  The assignment is inconsistent across save-loading, and mousing over a leader picture can change it.

I was trying out Ring Galaxy, 500 stars, 6x3 AIs.  The instability starts with the first AI I found, and got more unpredictable the more AIs I found.

Oh, thanks. I know what is causing this. Will fix tonight when I get home from work.
Not all causes fixed in 3.11.  Haven't gotten far enough to check for multiple civilization weirdness (restarted due to physical technique errors).  With one known civilization the other-leader image is much more stable, but "mouseover changes their graphic" to mine is still present.  Showing my zone of influence, rather than the other leaders, is 100% reliable immediately after mouseover changes the graphic to mine.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2017, 06:55:33 am »

edit: please try 3.11 now and see if your startup problem is fixed

3.11 startup works now, thank you.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2017, 08:22:18 am »

Not all causes fixed in 3.11.  Haven't gotten far enough to check for multiple civilization weirdness (restarted due to physical technique errors).  With one known civilization the other-leader image is much more stable, but "mouseover changes their graphic" to mine is still present.  Showing my zone of influence, rather than the other leaders, is 100% reliable immediately after mouseover changes the graphic to mine.

Can you send me the recent.rotp file for your current game so I can reproduce this?    to: ray.fowler@protonmail.com

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2017, 04:09:19 pm »

Done, 1-week self-destruct option used.

Note that the issue did not replicate after the target system had been powered down for the night and cold-restarted in the afternoon.  This could have been a Win10 filesystem issue with 7-year-old hardware (getting confused on whether it was running 3.11 or 3.10), so I wouldn't overexert here.

The opening screen of the races menu is fine.  Viewing either of Intelligence or Military submenus changes the leader icons instantly, the first time.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:15:06 pm by zaimoni »

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2017, 08:54:21 pm »

Done, 1-week self-destruct option used.

Note that the issue did not replicate after the target system had been powered down for the night and cold-restarted in the afternoon.  This could have been a Win10 filesystem issue with 7-year-old hardware (getting confused on whether it was running 3.11 or 3.10), so I wouldn't overexert here.

The opening screen of the races menu is fine.  Viewing either of Intelligence or Military submenus changes the leader icons instantly, the first time.

Try downloading 3.12. I found the memory leak that was causing me so much grief.. fixed the races icons... other stuff

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2017, 09:23:42 pm »

3.12 is a complete success regarding leader image stability.

I am not certain if it advisable to force familiarity with the Fleet screen by making the map unfit for deploying fleets.

EDIT It is not possible to split a fleet from the Fleet screen.  I see that 3.12a has the fix.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:38:38 pm by zaimoni »

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2017, 08:34:39 am »

3.12 is a complete success regarding leader image stability.

I am not certain if it advisable to force familiarity with the Fleet screen by making the map unfit for deploying fleets.

EDIT It is not possible to split a fleet from the Fleet screen.  I see that 3.12a has the fix.

Yes, I rewrote a bunch of the fleet display code to make it more memory-efficient last night. THEN I found the actual cause of the memory leak. After a bit of testing, loading games with lots of fleets, everything seemed fine and I was excited to finally get these memory issues behind me. Except I was running in AI mode and not clicking on fleets....

These memory issues really caught me off guard because I never experienced them... because I rarely turn off animations. So I've been scrambling around trying to find and fix memory issues for the past week, lol.

zaimoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2017, 05:16:26 pm »

Yes, manually playtesting this has to "be a bear" (I have been going with the Rule of Cool, and playing one of the reputation-worst races [Bulrathi].)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2017, 05:50:30 pm »

Bulrathi game started after only 3 or 4 turns when one of the 2 scouts reached a nearby system :
http://i.imgur.com/t1ZP2GS.jpg

Bears luck i guess :D

And several turns later, while waging Bears war on the Sakkras, victory against them on their throneworld
http://i.imgur.com/17ipFx1.jpg
Unstoppable Bears will is unstoppable.

Definitively unstoppable
http://i.imgur.com/PgLbyZI.jpg

Goodbye Sakkras, it was nice to meet you
http://i.imgur.com/v3clA7V.jpg

Fortunately other folks in the universe know better than to declare war on Bulrathi, they understand Bear power
http://i.imgur.com/cjBOyr2.jpg

Bears are big, it makes sense that Bulrathi empire is Bear sized and is the biggest there is, other folks finally acknowledge the fact
http://i.imgur.com/pcz6CH6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TimpEsL.jpg

Glory to the Bears !
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:45:17 pm by Robsoie »

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2017, 08:18:24 pm »

Bears are big, it makes sense that Bulrathi empire is Bear sized and is the biggest there is, other folks finally acknowledge the fact
http://i.imgur.com/pcz6CH6.jpg

Isn't that Council artwork for the Bulrathi amazing? That's the Bulrathi king on his throne, watching the council vote with his imperial guard.

I'm really happy that I decided to go all out and have race-specific artwork for the Council and GNN screens, even though it probably added about 6 months to the project timeline.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18