Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake  (Read 51309 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Remnants of the Precursors, free Master of Orion 1 remake
« Reply #225 on: December 27, 2020, 04:24:45 am »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 28, 2020, 12:23:49 pm »

RotP 2.04 available, it's great to see the dev is in bugfixing overdrive , making the game more and more solid :)
https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/klghwl/beta_update_204_is_available/

Got a fun game in which the Darloks are the biggest empire, i'm Human and managed to convince the Psilon to back me up in the war, though they're getting hammered on their side.
I have mellowed the Meklars and Klackons to like me a lot, so they vote for me in the election everytime.
But even with them and being on top of the election it's still not 2/3 requirement for the victory.

Now if i could contact the Mrrshan more, but they never cease to go "out of reach" because there''s a space amobea that is eating their empire rather quickly.
Too bad the Klackons rejected my offer to team up against the Darloks and the Meklars hate the Psilons and don't want to join my alliance.
It's getting hard, fortunately a space cristal has started to vitrify the Darloks worlds a bit so i'm slowly gaining traction.

But it's near impossible for my fleet to attack the Darloks world anymore, everytime i research a higher damaging weapon, they have already installed a more powerfull planetary shield with my weapons unable to pierce them anymore, currently i'm at Auto Blaster level and the Darlok planetary shielding is even higher.
At least my Auto Blasters are making short work of the Darlok fleets.

Can only count on friendly space cristal to do the work now :D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 12:25:31 pm by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 29, 2020, 03:44:29 am »

Amazing, the dev is on fire to fix bugs and improve things :
https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/km54iv/beta_update_205_is_available/
and more coming

edit : 2.06 is available with more goodies and bug fixed :
https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/kmtncu/beta_update_206_is_available/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 04:34:11 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 02, 2021, 08:48:35 am »

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 02, 2021, 09:40:05 am »

Beta 2.07 available with more bugfixes
https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/kooc71/beta_update_207_is_available/

There's always a flurry the first week or two after a big release, after new bugs are spotted and new players weigh in on things they think should change. I think it's pretty locked down now, which might be record time for a release. There are always little things I want to tweak but today is the day I start finally working with translators!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:58:02 am by RayFowler »

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 02, 2021, 10:23:26 am »

It's a quite truthfull remake.

Though I wish it was less clunky.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 02, 2021, 10:58:27 am »

It's a quite truthfull remake.

Though I wish it was less clunky.

Explain what you see as clunky

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2021, 12:52:09 pm »

So much stuff has been added since my last post here. The game finally supports the much-requested full screen mode and many other quality of life changes are being added based on a "last call" for player requests about a week ago.

You can see the full list of changes since the Beta release here: https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/l5udte/beta_211_first_pass_at_last_call_requests/

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2021, 04:59:41 pm »

Re: what I see as clunky (though I wasn't the person asked), it's a lot of the interface. Again, it's true to MOO1, but it correctly feels like a 90s game b/c of it. There's a weird mix of complexity and simplicity about it that feels off (but that I'd've been fine with 25 or probably even just 20 years ago). I have trouble putting my finger on it. Some of it might be the simple diplomacy model. Some of it might be the simple invasion mechanics (whose large scale makes the comparatively tiny scale of fleet combat seem weird). It's true to what it was meant to be, but it just feels... clunky. That's really the best way to describe it. I played it a couple times a year or two ago, and haven't been able to bring myself to pick it back up. I should note I started playing MOO with MOO2, so MOO1 never had strong nostalgic value when I went back and played it later. It reminded me of very flat 90s shareware space conquest games, and not in a good way. That feels like it's all on me, not the game, and not something I can overcome.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2021, 04:41:10 am »

It's very odd how how a player feeling about the gameplay can differ on what is clunky, it's the simplicity of that slider based interface that made to me MoO1 such a masterpiece with this easy pick&play , MoO2 despite still being a great 4X game felt more like work while everything in MoO1 was clicking smoothly to me.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:07:37 am by Robsoie »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2021, 07:20:40 am »

I actually find remnants pretty smooth and simple, right up to the point where micro becomes painful and takes over.. though perhaps some of the auto has been improved now and the eco slider stays where it should be a bit better.

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 01, 2021, 12:17:10 pm »

I actually find remnants pretty smooth and simple, right up to the point where micro becomes painful and takes over.. though perhaps some of the auto has been improved now and the eco slider stays where it should be a bit better.

There are always tweaks to find and improve this behavior.  Plus new stuff. For example, the current release allows you to chain rally points together, which is has been a commonly requested feature. The coming release will provide the ability to specify a number of ships to build, and then automatically reallocate to something else. Currently, you build ships until you intervene and tell it to do something else.

The current game has settings to allow for auto-colonization when ships arrive as well as a way to tailor when to auto-bombard vs prompting you.

If there is a spot in your game where the micro becomes painful, you should absolutely send me a copy of your save and explain the micro issue. I hate micro and generally prioritize fixing it when it pops up.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 12:18:45 pm by RayFowler »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2021, 04:36:56 am »

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2021, 10:14:27 pm »

Two more weeks and two more updates full of player requested features.

Beta 2.14 is out now.

Better backup features, improved diplomacy (notably alliances), the ability to speed through long galactic council votes, and lots of other little stuff.

I'd like to tell you everything is done but I'm still working through the player requests from the "Last Call" and will be for a few more weeks. Translators are already starting work, though

RayFowler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 26, 2021, 05:45:47 pm »

Beta 2.15 is out with new diplomatic options... the player can now finally threaten the AI in the same way that the AI threatens the player!

Lots of other goodies here as well.

https://old.reddit.com/r/rotp/comments/lt9hk2/beta_215_is_out_diplomacy_is_done/
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18