Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25

Author Topic: Viking: Sea Wolves-Chapter 1: Fur and Fang  (Read 26543 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Viking: Sea Wolves-Chapter 1: Fur and Fang
« Reply #300 on: May 09, 2017, 05:37:25 pm »

(While that would be extremely useful right now, Einar's gimmick is high Resolve... I'll pass and see if there's a chance for another effect down the line. Wait, I think I misread the intent - I thought it would be a 'passive so stats can only be invested in ferocity' ability instead of a 'panic button' ability. So if I was right originally, I'll turn it down. If it's the latter... I'll take it and use it. So, relevant narration for this particular action. :P )

"I'll draw off the minotaur! I'm leaving the shieldwall and the beastmen to you, Sihylde!"

Einar blows the horn again in challenge to the minotaur and puts it away, then runs off to a less-occupied part of the yard to use his berserker abilities to battle the monster with a lesser chance of getting his allies involved. Also, spend 2 Fate for another dice on top of possibly taking the Dark Bargain for this turn.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:22:06 am by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 09, 2017, 10:44:05 pm »

Spoiler: Random thoughts (click to show/hide)

Dark Bargain
Goodness I'll have to improvise a sling or something, or someone said we're sailing home after this maybe?

Jora realized this was one occasion where she had to rely on herself, as it may have been just as hard for everyone else (and that this wolfman was probably an iconoclast.

This helped her mood a bit. She was facing an enemy rogue!

Be on the defensive, use the opponent's momentum and otherwise against him, to defeat him; use my bow to deflect or guide the strikes or as an unconventional weapon.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 10, 2017, 07:49:44 pm »

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Jóra sees the sword swing towards her head. She snatches her bow off the ground, and blocks the sword. It breaks the bow, but arrests the momentum, causing a deep slice in Jóra’s arm instead of her chest. She cries out in pain, but quickly moves to regain momentum. The wolfman, eyes hungry for blood, swings again, but Jóra is prepared, and ducks under the swing, and rolls past his right leg, cutting it with her dagger. As the beast falls to a knee, she takes the dagger and buries in the back of it’s skull. Breathing heavily, blood dripping down her arm, she stumbles to the door and looks out and sees  a crowd of Cimbri and beasts assembling outside the shrine. She tightens the grip on her seax, and whispers a prayer to the Allfather.

Consequence: (Wounded,level 2, can resist for -1 fate)

Kol looked around the shield wall, trying to spot Jóra. Though a few of her archers were there, Jóra herself was no where to be seen. Fear gripped his heart as he remembered that she went to the shrine to pray. He sprinted out of the shield wall, one Cimbri charging at him, axes prepared to strike him down. Kol shouted out, and slammed shield first into the barbarian. The force of the blow sent the man flying, and Kol ran on. Skjære and a few men were holding off a crowd of the beastmen in front of the shrine, when Kol saw Jóra standing in the doorway, bloody and eyes determined. Kol shouted his defiance, drawing the eyes and attention of the beastmen before him. A javelin whistled towards his head. Kol whipped his shield up, catching it in the wood. He grabbed it and yanked it out, and sent it flying at one goatman leaping at him, sending it tumbling to the ground. His shield and sword were blurs as he and Skjære fought to get to Jóra. They finally reached her, leaving a trail of bodies behind them, but most of the warriors they retrieved were dying or seriously wounded.  The way back to the rest of the company was also now filling with vengeful beastmen, cutting them off.

What do you do? (Consequence, surrounded, desperate position, can resist casualties for -1 fate)

Sihylde stood firm at the head of the shield wall, her war hammer gripped in her hands as she stared down the charging horde. She raises her voice,

“Tonight we feast on blood and death!”

Her first swing cracks the skull of one fool hardy Cimbri, and her second breaks the shield arm of another. A grey goat man takes a more cautious approach, and Sihylde exchanges a few blows before felling that one. But outside the reach of her hammer the shield wall begins to break down as casualties mount, and panic begins to set in. Rodrick shouts out,
“To the ships lads! The outpost is lost!”

What do you do? (Consequence, +1 to  progress to outpost of outpost being overrun, resist for -2 fate)

Einar stepped out, blood pumping in his chest. Words from Boðdýr echoed through his memory

“When you give into your rage in battle, your instincts, you become more than a man, more than a beast. You become death itself.”

It felt like a fire spread through his chest. Einar gave a savage grin , and blew defiantly  on the horn again and charged the charging minotaur. A Cimbri foolish enough to stand in his way was cut nearly in half by one blow of his axe, and suddenly the minotaur was upon him. The minotaur’s axe came crashing down, and Einar dodged out of the way. But he wasn’t prepared for the swing of the minotaur’s horns, which caught and gored him in the chest, and with a shake of its head sent him flying into the air, and crashed down a few meters away. Einar coughed up blood, and tried to stand but could not find the strength in him.

What do you do? Consequences, suffered level 3 harm, incapacitated. -2 fate to resist. +1 to outpost being overrun

Progress to outpost being overrun: 3/4

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 10, 2017, 08:50:34 pm »

"Rodrick! You stand NOW!"
"Every one with me! Steady now we move as one!"
I'll try to get them to move towards Kol
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Viking: Sea Wolves-Chapter 1: Out of the myre, into the frying pan
« Reply #304 on: May 10, 2017, 08:54:19 pm »

Spoiler: OOC with note for GM (click to show/hide)
Jora took a moment to trace her wound with a warmed poultice that she kept in a specialized pocket on her quiver, and noticed that it may not be needed anyway due to the graze being superficial instead. This sort of explained the lack of pain she felt earlier--it wasn't adrenaline, it was that the wolfman's blow really missed due to the harder wood that composed her bow.

She adjusted her grip on her seax and looked around. "There must be something here to help us other than men and weapons."

Resist wound! (3/5 Fate left {Right?} meaning it totally didn't hit any of my arteries on my arm \o/ or really harm any major veins)

Try to grab a nearby bow (that probably isn't as good as mine and maybe is a shortbow) and fire a whistling arrow to disorient/grab attention or at least rally people. If none: use Cunning to try and find unorthodox (ie Environmental) ways to aid our folks, or rally the folks. (I could even throw a fire arrow to a fellow archer and ask her to shoot something flammable to rally people or act as a target/designator)

Failing that, last resort is fight with seax and dagger but behind Kol and the other better-trained fighters. Use Cunning in battle; use the enemy's force against them.

Also spend +1 fate to help myself with my actions.
And if anyone else requests (please post about it guys), I'm willing to shove a +2 fate to help with your rolls {and then I had no fate left :P}

Edit: Priority theme is regrouping! (Thanks Tari)

((I think, opposite my assumption in the OOC spoiler, that spending fate to resist means also resisting the "+" counter to being overrun, instead of spending fate and having it overrun as a 'dark bargain'esque consequence, as it wasn't mentioned to be a DB.
...And I read the last sentence of Consequence different from Funk/Sihylde's one, because of how the sentences were arranged. :-[

"Rodrick! You stand NOW!"
"Every one with me! Steady now we move as one!"
I'll try to get them to move towards Kol
((I"m betting this is Resolve but it could also be Ferocity given the context o_O Maybe bold the action to clarify :D I'm assuming Ferocity though, since we're rolling against fear and 'situational sense'))
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:19:48 pm by Tiruin »

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 10, 2017, 09:24:08 pm »

I'll resist for one fate, and  I'll attempt to command and organize the troops we currently have.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:41:46 pm by Mardent23 »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 10, 2017, 09:36:20 pm »

She adjusted her grip on her seax and looked around. "There must be something here to help us other than men and weapons."

"What? You wants the gods?
Ha Crom is here!
In the Blood! In this Steel!
Battle pleases him!
NOW Fight men! Show him your worth!
Buy your place beside him with the skulls of our enemy!"

Slowly the shield wall step forwards to the slow chant of "Crom! Crom!.."

I'm spending a fate point to inspire my men in the attack the beast men and get to Kol
(How much fate do i have left? the full 5?)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:39:39 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 10, 2017, 09:49:56 pm »

"What? You wants the gods?
Ha Crom is here!
In the Blood! In this Steel!
Battle pleases him!
NOW Fight men! Show him your worth!
Buy your place beside him with the skulls of our enemy!"
"The Allfather- Crom! teaches many Crom! ways to a Crom! solution."

(How much fate do i have left? the full 5?)
((I do believe nobody spent fate until the attack as we all got refilled by sacrificing the 10 and leaving the one dude.
...Where is that one dude @_@
So anyway, you all have 5 fate. yes. :P))
Also here's the checkpoint for our fate refills. I blame you for giving the GM ideas. :P (Not really; blame in the humorly friendly awesome way, because that's cool and this is fun and you're cool))

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 10, 2017, 09:51:05 pm »

Spending one fate to resist the casualties "Jora?! Are you alright?!"
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 10, 2017, 09:56:25 pm »

Should I use my other equipment slot?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 10, 2017, 09:58:25 pm »

"Jora?! Are you alright?!"
"Wolfman, alone, attacked. Broke my bow. Got it back. Just a scratch from its sword. What's happening? Where'd they break through?"

((I...don't know how the 2 slots are used though .-.; but it seems you've a fancy spear and an empty slot! Sorry if I named it inappropriately ._. I'm bad with flavor until I get specific details))

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 10, 2017, 09:59:47 pm »

((I...don't know how the 2 slots are used though .-.; but it seems you've a fancy spear and an empty slot! Sorry if I named it inappropriately ._. I'm bad with flavor until I get specific details))
[/quote]
In that case, I'd have none, because I have Fenris, my hunting hound.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 10, 2017, 10:01:59 pm »

"No idea specifically, but if we don't get out of here we'll be overrun. We need to get back to everyone else before that happens!"
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 10, 2017, 10:07:22 pm »

"No idea specifically, but if we don't get out of here we'll be overrun. We need to get back to everyone else before that happens!"
"The outpost is most likely doomed. Unless  something big happens,  we'll have to fall back.  Where's Roderick? He probably knows about the surrounding area. We may have to pull a fighting retreat."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 10, 2017, 10:09:12 pm »

Jora stopped looking around to notice how 'cut off' really meant.

"We're outmatched in sheer strength then, but the stronger fellows can take their attention while we can flank. Either way, there's something really driving them now--very fierce. What's the plan, father? We may not be able to salvage anything than what we can carry right now, but even then, we don't know their numbers. I can estimate just around how much we had give or take 2 hunting parties worth more about their encampment."
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25