Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Politics of the Merchant Republic (Political Arms Race)  (Read 3048 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Politics of the Merchant Republic (Political Arms Race)
« on: April 09, 2017, 09:04:51 pm »

Singularity Party
Phoenix Party

This is the land held by the Grand Merchant Republic of the Flying City.  A number of great empires surrounds this small nation to all sides, so it would seem as if this small nation would have been conquered long ago.  However, this nation exists upon the one over the single channel that allows access to the other sides of each continent without having to surmount a massive journey.  While it may seem that this would make it more likely for the nation to be conquered, it hasn't been for the simple fact that none of the empires wants one of their rivals to control this point and all of the trade that flows through it.  As such, any that tries to conquer the Republic gets rapidly struck by the other nations until the attackers reconsider.

Within this nation exist two smaller cities upon the shores of either side of the channel.  These two cities, Harita and Vlock, have constantly vied for control over the Merchant Republic.  However, they do not do this through civil war, due to the threat that such a conflict would cause damage to the lucrative trade routes.  The Singularity party is based within the city of Vlock and has the dominance of technology being etched into its founding tenants, to the point that many members of the party have cybernetic augmentations.  Upon the other side of the channel is the Pheonix party within the city of Harita, and it predictably takes the opposing stance of the dominance of magic over technology, with many of its members being powerful mages.

While control of the Flying City is split between the two, this balance could change at any time.  If one gains dominance, the fight would shift to one of the two islands under the political control of the two cities.  Either the desert island known as the Ivory Key that is under the control of the Pheonix party through their magic-based policies providing water to the inhabitants, or the mountainous Emerald Key under the control of the Singularity party thanks to their technology-based policies strengthening the mining industry.

It may be early on within this newest phase of the nation, but many on both sides are recognizing that soon only one party will hold dominance.  The question becomes, will it be the Pheonixes, or the Sigulatarians?

Spoiler: Phoenix Party (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Singularity Party (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:54:39 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Polotics of the Merchant Republic (Political Arms Race)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 09:39:03 pm »

So instead of killing each other it's all politics. What a lovely spin.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Polotics of the Merchant Republic (Political Arms Race)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:50:44 pm »

So instead of killing each other it's all politics. What a lovely spin.
I'd imagine there would still be killing each other, just less overt bombing and tank warfare, and more cold-war assassinations and stuff like that.

Also the politics is misspelled in the thread title.
*Ducks and covers*
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Politics of the Merchant Republic (Political Arms Race)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 09:56:46 pm »

Details of the starts has been added to the OP along with the thread links.  Descriptions are limited due to phone.  Specific introductions in each thread will 've added when no longer limited by phone.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 10:28:29 pm »

Seems cool. The Phoenix party shall be supreme!
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 11:04:28 pm »

Please What ever magic can do technology can do better and more understandable to the common man, Singularity Party as the Single Party!
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 11:05:47 pm »

The Phoenix party shall be supreme!
Challenge accepted.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 08:04:10 am »

There ain't no party like the Phoenix Party because the Phoenix Party burns with everlasting unquenchable fire. Both metaphorically and literally.
Long Live United Forenia!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 08:29:34 am »

Got the party introductions made, though I should note that you did not need to wait for them to be completed in order to begin.  I did put up the details of what you are starting off with, after all.

Feel free to speak up if you have any questions.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 10:13:18 am »

I have lots of questions. How do we even progress in this game? Is the Merchant Republic of the Flying City a democracy, are we supposed to canvass voters and promise sun and sky for seats? Or is our objective to subtly push our agenda and worldview onto the citzenry, without necessarily going for outright political control? What does the economy of the flying city depend on? If trade, what goods are they trading? What's the society like, are there traditions and values and religions that we can appeal to? You said we're political parties vying for control, but in a legislative assembly, executive branch or judicial arena? What are the limits of our power, can we declare a police state and outlaw the other party if we gain enough power? What benefits do we get from controlling the flying city/the key islands?

Also, I gotta say having only one route will mean the one who loses early will end up losing quickly, as there's not much recourse for pushing through another avenue.

United Forenia Forever!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 11:20:34 am »

I have lots of questions. How do we even progress in this game? Is the Merchant Republic of the Flying City a democracy, are we supposed to canvass voters and promise sun and sky for seats? Or is our objective to subtly push our agenda and worldview onto the citzenry, without necessarily going for outright political control? What does the economy of the flying city depend on? If trade, what goods are they trading? What's the society like, are there traditions and values and religions that we can appeal to? You said we're political parties vying for control, but in a legislative assembly, executive branch or judicial arena? What are the limits of our power, can we declare a police state and outlaw the other party if we gain enough power? What benefits do we get from controlling the flying city/the key islands?

Also, I gotta say having only one route will mean the one who loses early will end up losing quickly, as there's not much recourse for pushing through another avenue.

It is a democracy and territory control essentially represents the voters have elected people of your side into power.  As for how you get those votes, that is up to what policies each party implements.

As for trade, your nation is essentially a Venice on a natural Panama Canal.

As for society, think along the lines of the areas under the control of the Singularity Party as being a mix of Metal Gear, Deus Ex, and Ghost in the Shell, while the areas under the control of the Phoenix Party is a mix of Magic the Gathering's Ravnica and Discworld's Ankh-Morpork.  Contested areas would be a mad hybrid of those.

The singular route will have different terrain over the course of it.  I'm not dealing with resources to both simplify things on my end so I can get the turns out faster, and to prevent snowballing of one side.  The only measure of strength or weakness is your designs.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 01:22:25 pm »

Magic is coo.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 10:49:21 pm »

Bit of insight into a thought process I had:

I was a bit tempted to write up a fake news story from the perspective of a news outlet to describe the Phoenix Party advancing from the design to the revision phase using how it would be seen in-universe, possibly describing it as the groundwork for the major policy of the year having been established, but then I realized it would probably become a bit tedious doing that for every design-revision phase change over the course of the game.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 11:24:43 pm »

How mych time we have for every turn?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 11:30:48 pm »

How mych time we have for every turn?

I'm not limiting them by time, but faster paces are better for me as it allows for the game to become part of my routine easier.
Pages: [1] 2