Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: You are a Fantasy Wizard!  (Read 5920 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
You are a Fantasy Wizard!
« on: April 09, 2017, 06:24:51 am »

You're a wizard. There are many wizards and mages present across the lands, but every society treats their magical citizens to a higher degree. Wizards are often found in the higher echelons of society, using their magic and status to influence events and garner power for their own ends.
Maybe you'll be different, or maybe you'll become stuck in mediocrity peddling discount enchanted items in a village. But that's later. You have some things to figure out first:

What race do you hail from?
The Dwarves' wizards inherit their magical abilities through artificial means after they are born to one of the noble families present in Dwarven society.
The numerous wizards in Human towns and cities spend most of their childhood studying as apprentices before they're finally ready to head out for themselves.
The very rare Elven wizards can often be found leading their small groups or vying for power in Elven cities, but once in a blue moon one can find an independent Elven wizard.

And what is your name?

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Fantasy Wizard!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 06:57:07 am »

We are a male Dwarven wizard named Cazot Bobokundin.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 02:23:33 pm »

Max avatar size is 80x80

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 02:51:44 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 04:39:12 pm »

You are Cazot Bobokundin, Wizard of your noble family in Silverhalls, and today is the day you finish your training.

Your great great grandfather is the one you have to thank for your abilities. He spent his life dedicated to unlocking his true potential, and because of his sacrifice, a line of wizards was created and your family was brought into nobility. Only six years ago, you were granted the gift after the death of your father. The ceremonies were mournful yet they still represented the transfer of something very valuable to the family.
Since then, you have been training and studying every day to properly learn how to use magic. Your family isn't prestigious or powerful, but now it has you. You don't plan on disappointing your father.

As is tradition, you have been given full responsibility with the noble family home, and the rest of the family has moved in with their non-noble relatives. Sometimes you feel stifled by the ancient rules dictating Dwarven society, but tradition is tradition. You are expected to raise a family and advance yourself and your relatives into higher status and power. Few dwarves abandon their post, as abandoning it means the abandonment of their homes. For an unexpected death not surrounded by family can permanently end the magical line in a family, dooming it to a lower-class existence.

With your training done, you enter your now-empty home with opportunity in the air. By all accounts, you're still very much a "newbie" wizard. Your training has only allowed you to know how to use your gift, but your actual abilities are extremely lacking. The wizards in every Dwarven noble family all start out like this, but they go on to achieve great things. New abilities and spells can be created by hand, or can be learned from other people or sources of knowledge in a relatively short period of time.

Yet tradition rules that you must balance the pursuit of greater magical power with raising a noble family. Sometimes you hear tales of a fantastical world from the traders and peasants that travel outside Silverhall, but according to society, that's not the life for you.
What do you do now?

Cazot Bobokundin
Mana: 10/10. (A general measure of endurance that is restored primarily with rest and "used" by magical exertion.)
Spells & Abilities
- Manipulation [0m] (The use of magic to manipulate your surroundings via levitation and minor transfers of energy. Generally takes no mana to perform unless extreme feats are undertaken.)
Inventory
- Robes

Assets
- Family Home in Silverhall
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 04:43:47 pm »

Search for elder wizards, as to hone your innate magical gift.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 04:47:27 pm »

Create a new spell. Or try anyway.
Name the spell Flame tongue.

A firey tongue extends from your hand and licks a target, burning it.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 05:14:24 pm »

Keep this in the back of your head as long term goal.
Create a new spell named Flame Tongue
Speak to a flame to control it ease it and learn about the nature of fire.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 06:32:00 pm »

+1 Firebending here we come
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 08:59:14 pm »

You walk into what used to be your father's laboratory. After retrieving some choice literature from the assortment of shelves, you take a moment to ponder what to aim for.

You stare at the bright fireplace in the back of the room. The fire itself is fueled from the deep forges within Silverhall, but staring at it gives you an idea. You find a book relating to basic Pyromancy and spend the next few days in studying it in your laboratory. Eventually, you start to have an idea of where to start with the creation of Pyromancy-based spells. Initially, while again staring at the ongoing fire, you think of a spell allowing for basic control over fire. Ultimately, this idea is discarded for the time being but it serrves as a spring into higher inspiration.
Flame Tongue. A simple spell to create a "tongue" of fire extending from your hand and licking a target. The basic effect can be achieved via your own "customizations" on the techniques for flaming hands. However, the difficulty is in the range. There are more advanced techniques that could be used in creating the spell, but those are well above your abilities.

A week filled with experimentation and accidental fires later, you finally finish. Flame Tongue allows you to extend a flaming tongue of roughly 3 inches from your hand and manipulate it to a limited extent for 5 seconds. From your experimental use of it, you believe its physical toll to be equal to that of 3 mana. You feel more prepared to take on further spells in the school of Pyromancy, as well! With this done, you consider spending some time with the more elder wizards in Silverhall, but it's extremely nontraditional for wizards to seek help outside the family after their training, and you doubt you could get anyone to help.

As you do further testing with your new spell, you hear a knock on the door. Opening it reveals your sister, Casset.
"CAZOT. Where the hell have you been? As the wizard of the family, your duty is not to stay inside your empty house all day. Your family, your mother, all need you to act responsible for once in your life. If you decide to do your job, we need you at the lower Family home tomorrow. There are things to be done besides magic if you care about your status at all."

You are the head of your family now, which means it's ultimately up to you what you do, not your sister or any of your family. She does have a point about your status and position, however.

Cazot Bobokundin
Mana: 10/10. (A general measure of endurance that is restored primarily with rest and "used" by magical exertion.)
School Proficiencies (Your talent at magic of the various schools and types in existence.)
- Pyromancy: 1 (The art of manipulating fire.)
Spells & Abilities
General
- Manipulation [0m] (The use of magic to manipulate your surroundings via levitation and minor transfers of energy. Generally takes no mana to perform unless extreme feats are undertaken.)
Pyromancy
- Flame Tongue [3m] (For 5 seconds, extend a flaming tongue up to 3 inches from your hand and manipulate it to a limited extent.)
Inventory
- Robes

Assets
- Family Home in Silverhall

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 09:27:13 pm »

Examine the state of our family. What issues are currently present? What do we have?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:31:18 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 09:29:28 pm »

Attend the meeting with honorable respect
Try to atune yourself to the inner fires of the ones at the meeting

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 09:31:50 pm »

Attend the meeting with honorable respect
Try to atune yourself to the inner fires of the ones at the meeting

+1
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 09:34:50 pm »

Examine the state of our family. What issues are currently present? What do we have?
Especially the state of our sister.  ;)

Ehh?

Ehhhh?

okay I'll shut up now.

+1
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6