Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: You are a Fantasy Wizard!  (Read 5918 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Fantasy Wizard!
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2017, 10:03:15 am »

Examine the state of our family. What issues are currently present? What do we have?
Especially the state of our sister.  ;)

Ehh?

Ehhhh?

okay I'll shut up now.

+1

+1, It is our duty to help our family in any way we can.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 10:29:12 am »

((Will you are an Independent Scientist come back?))
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 06:22:41 pm »

((Will you are an Independent Scientist come back?))
It's very likely at some point, but I can't really give an ETA or anything on the next update. With games like Independent Scientist, I prefer keeping them "semi-alive" with periodic updates rather than try and force myself to update, since that usually ends badly. I may go back to updating it more frequently at some point, but that's definitely not for certain.

Your family is, in the big picture of Silverhall society, insignificant. There's only been a line of wizards in the family for a relatively very short period of time compared to other noble houses. You remember your father and other family members conversing about political affairs, but it was all minor stuff compared to the "real" families in Silverhall. Perhaps if you had more ambitious and cunning parents and ancestors, your family would have a higher status in society. But it's your job, now.

The zero-sum nature in the inheritance of magic plays a major factor in Dwarven society. A wizard must choose one and only one heir to transfer their gift to, and it's this heir and their immediate family who are the true nobles of the family. The extended family either lives an upper-class but still peasant lifestyle or are nobles in other houses and families. This is no different for your family.

Your family owns two properties - the Noble and Lower family homes. You live in the Noble home, which is to be inhabited in by the Wizard and their immediate family - wive and children. The Lower family home is located in a lower-class but still respectable part of Silverhall, and is where most of the rest of your family resides. Your mother and siblings used to live in the Noble home with you, but with your completion of training, they've moved to the Lower home.
Your family at the moment is fairly unified and there's no major drama or internal trouble at the moment, but you believe you heard something about trouble your family's farmland recently.

You make sure you're presentable and head down to the Lower family home, to enter a quarreling room.
"You're late." expresses a bored-looking Casset.
She would likely talk more, but sees your mother slowly standing up. Casset sits back down in her chair.
"Cazot, as I have told you many times, it is up to you to succeed where your father failed. Two weeks ago, our only source of income - our holdings of farmland outside Silverhall - was forcibly taken. I believe it's time for you to step up and do something lest you become obsessed with trivial things like the other wizards in the family."
"As you should already know, we received word two weeks ago. Our farms, among others, have been seized by some upstart human noble to feed his little 'army'. Yet we don't have any kind of influence or power --" "--because of your father--" "--yes, mother. Cazot, this is your job. I don't want to be forced to work in the mines because my brother couldn't do his job."

The rest of the family meeting goes about as you expected. Some meeting and greeting as the new family wizard, discussion of local politics, further complaining about the farms, and similar topics dominate the day. During some of the more mindless dialogue, you  try to attune yourself to the inner fires of your family members.  Yet despite your effort, you end up expending 2 mana with a result of nothing. You don't want to immediately give up on the idea, however, since it does feel like it has potential. While on the topic, you ponder further about Mana. You've heard about great wizards able to recover extreme amounts of Mana naturally, but for you, you'll likely be able to recover mana at a rate of 1 mana every few days or so.

The meeting is currently wrapping up. You can say something to your family or leave in order to do something else.

Cazot Bobokundin
Mana: 8/10. (A general measure of endurance that is restored primarily with rest and "used" by magical exertion.)
School Proficiencies (Your talent at magic of the various schools and types in existence.)
- Pyromancy: 1 (The art of manipulating fire.)
Spells & Abilities
General
- Manipulation [0m] (The use of magic to manipulate your surroundings via levitation and minor transfers of energy. Generally takes no mana to perform unless extreme feats are undertaken.)
Pyromancy
- Flame Tongue [3m] (For 5 seconds, extend a flaming tongue up to 3 inches from your hand and manipulate it to a limited extent.)
Inventory
- Robes

Assets
- Noble Family Home in Silverhall
- Lower Family Home in Silverhall
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2017, 06:41:36 pm »

We should take care of our house. Do we have any troops that we could lead to take back the farmland? Or maybe we should find a more experienced wizard and see if he will teach us any battle magic.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 07:20:49 pm »

We should take care of our house. Do we have any troops that we could lead to take back the farmland? Or maybe we should find a more experienced wizard and see if he will teach us any battle magic.
Battle magic? You think one, inexperienced wizard with a few battle magic spells taught by an elder could do enough damage to turn the tide of war?

No...

Find every bit of info you can summoning spells. Perhaps, if we study enough, we can create soldiers of flame to take the farmlands back by force.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2017, 07:54:53 pm »

Go to study room to meditate to regain mana. On the next day attempt to feel for fires of family members as well. Sucessful or not go to visit the upstart noble and ask how he deems to repay us. for the damage he has done to our property.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 08:09:24 pm »

Go to study room to meditate to regain mana. On the next day attempt to feel for fires of family members as well. Sucessful or not go to visit the upstart noble and ask how he deems to repay us. for the damage he has done to our property.

+1
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 08:14:05 pm »

Attend the meeting with honorable respect
Try to atune yourself to the inner fires of the ones at the meeting

+1
+1
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 04:43:40 pm »

Think of common methods used by minor wizards to financially support their families. Do we have any mundane non-magical skills? How about our family members?
Search for possible sources of income, both short term and long term, within Sliverhall.
Discuss with our family about possible alternative sources of income to help us attain resources, which can be in turn used to regain our farmland.

Are our farmlands located in Sliverhall or are they perhaps in human territory? If we're not sure, then ask mom and sis for a recap on the hostile farmland takeover. I kind of like the absent-minded intellectual vibe we got going on.  :P
Max avatar size is 80x80

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 10:30:51 pm »

You yourself aren't particularly skilled in more mundane crafts, as you've been training your whole life to become a wizard. You're actually not sure what your family members do. The more distant ones probably work in the land and shops of others' to make a living for their immediate families. Members like your sister, however, don't have an occupation as far as you know. Your sister always appreciated politics. Most of your immediate family would likely be too old to bring in income for the family.
Minor wizards like yourself commonly provide magical services at a price to dwarves without a wizard present, and skilled wizards can build up a reputation for more quality goods. Rarely, a wizard may leave Silverhall to make money in occupations such as mercenary work. While profitable, excursions like that are frowned upon due to the danger present to the wizard, and consequently their family.

Centuries ago, Dwarven wizards would be at the front of great armies, conquering new land and defeating fantastical beasts for glory to them and their kingdoms. But with the subsequent generations, the line of wizards in a family become much more important to Dwarven society than the glory, wealth, and land acquired by the great wizards of old.

Your mind turns back to the farmlands. You attempt to recall what you learned of family history in your training. You believe the family farmland isn't in the domain of any particular kingdom. Because it's owned by your family, you believe it technically is considered Silverhall territory, but that would probably only be considered true as long as your family protected their land. The upper nobility of Silverhall is more concerned with using the armies to protect their own assets and Silverhall itself. You also vaguely recall that the farms were near some kind of human city.

Before you excuse yourself to the study room, you ask your mother and sister for a more detailed explanation regarding the loss of your farmlands.
Your sister looks at you incredulously. "Really?"
You nod. She sighs.
"We don't know the exact name, but the human had the courtesy to send a letter. I'm sure you somehow don't know about Karthia, the human city not far away from Silverhall. He and his piddly army are laying siege to the city due to some standard case of human politics, and he has 'temporarily seized' our farmland to feed that pet army of his."
You figure you should also ask about alternative sources of income, for a better picture. Casset sighs yet again while slowly shaking her head in disappointment before speaking up again.
"No. We had the farms, but that's gone. That was our only source of income. If you want to learn how to make money yourself like the responsible wizard I'm sure you are, you could always ask your great grandfather.
But wait:
He's dead."

You ignore your sister's ongoing belittling and leave to the study after saying farewell to some of the family. Over the night, you meditate, recovering 2 mana. Once morning comes and the rest of the family begins to get up and go about their early morning routines, you leave your room and try to continue feeling for their inner fires. You're far more successful today, and for a few minutes, you feel more connected to the people in the room. You're not sure what exactly you're feeling, but you can feel something in the people around you. It wavers and changes as the people go about their day. After five minutes, you feel exhausted and are forced to stop channeling magic, losing 5 mana in the process.

You're still not sure what you were feeling, but it was something, and perhaps with more progress you could become more connected and make something out of their "inner fires".

You once again say your farewells to your family and leave the lower home. You're faced with a decision on what to do next: Pursue alternative sources of income within Silverhall, or leave to meet with the noble. Eventually, you decide on meeting with the human because your idea to look for further sources of income is simply too vague to act upon.
You gather your possessions and some food and set off on the journey. Some amount of hours later, you see the noble's camp within sight.

Initially you're stopped by the soldiers on watch, but after some explanations and the showcase of the letter sent to your family, you're let through. The noble eventually meets with you. He looks surprisingly modest, and is dressed in simple chainmail and has a regular sword sheathed to his person.
"So, the great Karzot of the Bobokundin house has come to meet me, Count Impultus! Finally!" he exclaims in a pompous matter.
You tell him that Karzot was your father. You are the great Cazot!
"I see," he says, deflated a tiny amount. "Regardless. You clearly received my letter, and must understand that I'm on a campaign for my lord. I'm a loyal servant, and will be taking the city of Karthia for my-- his, domain! As I care about the lives of my soldiers, I will be allowing the city of Karthia to starve in their own ignorance. It'll only be a matter of time before they succumb and I will grant you your land and a respectable share of the conquered wealth."

What do you do?

Cazot Bobokundin
Mana: 5/10. (A general measure of endurance that is restored primarily with rest and "used" by magical exertion.)
School Proficiencies (Your talent at magic of the various schools and types in existence.)
- Pyromancy: 1 (The art of manipulating fire.)
Spells & Abilities
General
- Manipulation [0m] (The use of magic to manipulate your surroundings via levitation and minor transfers of energy. Generally takes no mana to perform unless extreme feats are undertaken.)
Pyromancy
- Flame Tongue [3m] (For 5 seconds, extend a flaming tongue up to 3 inches from your hand and manipulate it to a limited extent.)
- Basic Sense Inner Fire [5m] (For five minutes, attune yourself to your surroundings and sense the inner fires of those in your proximity.)
Inventory
- Robes

Assets
- Noble Family Home in Silverhall
- Lower Family Home in Silverhall
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 10:41:51 pm »

We don't have much mana, meaning fighting isn't an option. This human has taken our farmlands and is damaging our source of income, and to let Karthia fall to a barbarian such as him makes us no better than an elf!

We should agree to his terms, for now, and replenish our mana. Perhaps if we can rest, we'll have time to develop a new offensive spell that could aid us in taking our farm back before Karthia falls.
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 04:53:35 pm »

+1
Once we are home light many candles within your room. Meditate over the flames to learn more of the nature of fire.
Also try to feel how mana can be regained whilst meditating over the flames.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:56:03 pm by Detoxicated »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 05:27:52 pm »

+1
Once we are home light many candles within your room. Meditate over the flames to learn more of the nature of fire.
Also try to feel how mana can be regained whilst meditating over the flames.

+1
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 08:55:18 pm »

Try and sense the human's inner fire.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 09:13:55 pm »

Try and sense the human's inner fire.
That would expend too much mana. We're already down to half, and if we don't want human barbarians taking what they please, we need to have enough mana to go on the offense.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6