Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Need a game for Local-multi with my kid  (Read 3030 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need a game for Local-multi with my kid
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 05:23:19 pm »

For recording you definitely want to use Open Broadcaster Software  https://obsproject.com/  it's free, it's what most youtubers and twitch streamers use and it's very easy to control the quality and capture of your videos. 

Battleblock theater is a rather fun local co-op game that works well with controllers.  Decent learning curve, straight forward mechanics and no reading to understand how to progress (big plus in my experience from playing with my little cousins.)

I would highly recommend against doing twitch right off the bat.  Do some recording, get a handle on how the software operates, know how you sound and work in the recordings and maybe through up a few edited videos on youtube.  Once you understand the idea of recording to viewing flow you can always try twitch but it'll be hard to get any audience that way.  There is ways to record what is streamed to twitch to then put on youtube, but it requires a half decent computer and since you'll be running the games off of it as well you might not have the hardware to play, record, and stream at once.
Nom nom nom

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 05:25:48 pm »

Yeah and just logistically, Twitch is harder to do right, safely, whatever. You need to know basic things like never let something display on your screen you're not happy with the whole world seeing, because it's live. Or hearing for that matter. And then there's actual Twitch followers. Live chat, subs, trolling, all that. You get two pretty distinct kinds of gaming videos between the two. One can be as polished and professional as you can make it, the other is raw and live. Not sure Twitch is a great thing to put a 5-year-old in front of, either. People will be people.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 10:14:15 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 05:27:46 pm »

Yeah, and if you do twitch you need to be absolutely paranoid of someone overhearing your address, real name, or phone number.  There was a rather bad streak a few years ago of people calling swat teams on twitch streamers for a laugh.  With youtube you can re-watch the content a few times before uploading to make sure there's nothing bad in there.  As well you can turn off comments which is amazing if you start getting flamed by some really determined assholes.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 05:56:45 pm »

Yep you guys got the name right!

It is kind of a riot if you can get the right people.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 06:23:13 pm »

There was some kind of Tetris advanced clone that might be a worth a look too. Forget its actual name though.

You could build towers and have wind constantly messing with your stability, spells to mess with the other player, and a tricky block puzzle thingo of how many pieces you could jam into an odd setup.

Not exactly co-operative, but competitive in a fairly non-violent way. Tetris is pretty easy to wrap your mind around as a kid too.
--------

As a thought, loading up MAME to emulate some old arcade games might not be too bad of an idea either. Gauntlet, Bubble Bobble, Golden Axe, Double Dragon, etc, are all fun to play co-op. And with unlimited credits, dying isn't a terrible problem for you. Controller compatible too! :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 02:21:41 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2017, 03:09:25 am »

For recording you definitely want to use Open Broadcaster Software  https://obsproject.com/  it's free, it's what most youtubers and twitch streamers use and it's very easy to control the quality and capture of your videos. 

Ohh this. Last time I actually recorded and streamed was using this, and not Bandicam. Thanks for reminding me of that!  :P
I used it along with Voicemeteer so I could stream just the sound of the game, and no windows/teamspeak sound [I never stream..but when I do, it's a silent stream] .
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

MrStyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 02:48:29 pm »

I haven't tried it, but I have a friend who raves about Overcooked for local multiplayer.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2017, 11:23:39 pm »

Hey so, my kid is 5 years old and I want a cool game to play with him local-multiplayer either co-op or not. We are going to try and make some gaming vids for YouTube and I want to do something trending if possible.

Preferably Steam games, but not required.

Our YouTube channel is here: www.youtube.com/PlanetMilo

BUT! we dont have any gaming videos yet, just going to try and figure out how to do it.

Also, whats the best way to record footage from a game? I am so old school, do people use Fraps? SHould I stream to Twitch? What the hell is Twitch anyway? Can I get the footage to send it over to YouTube after some editing?

Thanks!

7 Days to Die is pretty good. Hilarious when a ton of zombies rip you to pieces.

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 09:37:13 am »

crud what is that game where everyone plays animals who have to go from Point A to Point B... and you create traps, barriers, and paths to it... and hope you are the only one alive at the end?

That is a good local multiplayer game.

I'm pretty sure there are far more than a hundred different tower defenses and other defense maps available for Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2, but I guess that's not exactly what you meant ;)

@Ductape
It's not exactly trending I'm afraid, but you might want to take a look at Clonk Rage (or even one of the older games, they all have their charm).
It used to be shareware, but now it's freeware.

There's also OpenClonk, basically a sequel developed by fans of the old games, based on the published source code of Clonk Rage.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 09:40:06 am by Asgarus »

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 03:21:14 pm »

Sports games are always a good time. On PC you've got FIFA (soccer) and NBA2K (basketball) and on console you've got those plus Madden (football) and EA's NHL series (hockey). Playstation also has a baseball series I forget the name of off hand.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 11:42:31 pm »

Sports games are always a good time. On PC you've got FIFA (soccer) and NBA2K (basketball) and on console you've got those plus Madden (football) and EA's NHL series (hockey). Playstation also has a baseball series I forget the name of off hand.

YES! I hadn't thought of that but your are right.

For what its worth hes been having a BLAST with Rocket League.
I got nothing

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 02:43:58 am »

It's kind of obvious, but Mario Kart is always a great bet. If you have gamepads, you can get Double Dash working on your PC. If you have a nintendo console, get whichever version of Mario Kart you play on that nintendo console, pretty much all of them are at least decent.

If you want a similar kart racing game on Steam, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed is a good bet. I got it in a humble bundle and had a lot of fun with it. The other sonic racing game which is older is half the price, but I haven't played it personally and the reviews are not quite as good.

I'd also highly recommend Trine if you want a good co-op platformer with physics puzzles. It's also a very visually interesting game.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 07:04:43 pm »

Overcooked is great multiplayer - I'm always extremely dubious when people say 'I know it looks rubbish but it's actually really fun when you're play it!', but this is one of those times where that is absolutely correct. Loads of fun, proper team work needed and super addictive.

That being said, for the format you're doing I'd 1000000% suggest MAME over anything else. It'll be weird in a fun way for your kid to play such old games, and you have literally tens of thousands of games to choose from. They're also from an age of gaming where games needed to be really, really easy to get into, so your kid shouldn't have any problems getting to grips with them.

Kinda sidenote on amazing parenting:

A friend of mine really didn't want his kids to get into the current kid gaming trend of sitting for 23 hours a day in front of minecraft/lego whatever but also wanted him to enjoy video gaming and not have that annoying feeling we all had as kids of 'one hours gaming and then homework' which always left you right in the middle of something or just desperately wanting to keep playing. I used to be limited to 25 minutes internet time on dial-up, and it drove me crazy. I'd madly spend 25 minutes downloading and caching everything humanly possible - just didn't work out well.

So he instead decided to give him 15 coins per day for use on MAME games, plus extra for completing non-standard chores/tests/whatever. Works an absolute DREAM. He literally can't get bored with the ridiculous game selection available, his friends think it's so weird they're constantly wanting to come over to play it (which makes him feel cool and means he has to share his coins) and if he plays well then he can play for longer (which makes him feel in control).

10/10 parenting.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 10:06:21 pm »

Overcooked is great multiplayer - I'm always extremely dubious when people say 'I know it looks rubbish but it's actually really fun when you're play it!', but this is one of those times where that is absolutely correct. Loads of fun, proper team work needed and super addictive.

That being said, for the format you're doing I'd 1000000% suggest MAME over anything else. It'll be weird in a fun way for your kid to play such old games, and you have literally tens of thousands of games to choose from. They're also from an age of gaming where games needed to be really, really easy to get into, so your kid shouldn't have any problems getting to grips with them.

Kinda sidenote on amazing parenting:

A friend of mine really didn't want his kids to get into the current kid gaming trend of sitting for 23 hours a day in front of minecraft/lego whatever but also wanted him to enjoy video gaming and not have that annoying feeling we all had as kids of 'one hours gaming and then homework' which always left you right in the middle of something or just desperately wanting to keep playing. I used to be limited to 25 minutes internet time on dial-up, and it drove me crazy. I'd madly spend 25 minutes downloading and caching everything humanly possible - just didn't work out well.

So he instead decided to give him 15 coins per day for use on MAME games, plus extra for completing non-standard chores/tests/whatever. Works an absolute DREAM. He literally can't get bored with the ridiculous game selection available, his friends think it's so weird they're constantly wanting to come over to play it (which makes him feel cool and means he has to share his coins) and if he plays well then he can play for longer (which makes him feel in control).

10/10 parenting.

Can you recommend And easy way to get into this? I did a quick search and it seems there dozens of websites to sift through and not sure who to trust. I am also not 100% sure he will like old games.  am 45 and what I remember from back then is that games were HARD AS FUCK. We died over and over and we kept at because there were no other options. Today, thats not the case and I personally don't see the point in games like Super Meat Boy. My son and most kids I know are the same, hard just equals inaccessibility.

So with that said, what games should I look at? Do they have like old Arcade games form the 80's?

ON a side note and not directed as a reply to anyone, I wish there was a new PC version of something like Twisted Metal, ROcket League has me really thinking that would be fun and we keep trying to play it like that but it wasnt meant to be played that way. All we do is rumble mode.
I got nothing

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 01:30:33 am »

Can you recommend And easy way to get into this? I did a quick search and it seems there dozens of websites to sift through and not sure who to trust. I am also not 100% sure he will like old games.  am 45 and what I remember from back then is that games were HARD AS FUCK. We died over and over and we kept at because there were no other options. Today, thats not the case and I personally don't see the point in games like Super Meat Boy. My son and most kids I know are the same, hard just equals inaccessibility.

So with that said, what games should I look at? Do they have like old Arcade games form the 80's?

ON a side note and not directed as a reply to anyone, I wish there was a new PC version of something like Twisted Metal, ROcket League has me really thinking that would be fun and we keep trying to play it like that but it wasnt meant to be played that way. All we do is rumble mode.

If you want to step out of the grounds of clear legality, it's much easier to answer (though I'm not sure of B12's policies on that). Avoiding that field... there are some classic gaming packs that include arcade staples in mixed packs (Atari Vault) or individual collections (Metal Slug Complete). I'd recommend

They do tend to be brutal-- after all, that's how they made their money. But, more importantly, they tended to be cheap. Deaths that pop out of seemingly nowhere, one-shot kills you had to be prescient to avoid, etc. Super Meat Boy is entirely unlike that; an obvious "easy" route is usually immediately visible. The trick is developing the skill to actually do what you want to get done. (Whether you like that kind of a thing is a different story.) It's a difference that matters; the latter leaves you in control, even in failure.

A few other suggestions:
Tyrian, an excellent SHMUP. (Better in single player, but also has an interesting co-op multiplayer)
Twinkle Star Sprites, what you get if you turn a SHMUP into a vs game. Don't let the graphics fool you.

...Had a few others but they slipped my mind in the interval I refilled my drink. -_-
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: 1 [2] 3