Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Need a game for Local-multi with my kid  (Read 3028 times)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Need a game for Local-multi with my kid
« on: April 05, 2017, 01:45:47 pm »

Hey so, my kid is 5 years old and I want a cool game to play with him local-multiplayer either co-op or not. We are going to try and make some gaming vids for YouTube and I want to do something trending if possible.

Preferably Steam games, but not required.

Our YouTube channel is here: www.youtube.com/PlanetMilo

BUT! we dont have any gaming videos yet, just going to try and figure out how to do it.

Also, whats the best way to record footage from a game? I am so old school, do people use Fraps? SHould I stream to Twitch? What the hell is Twitch anyway? Can I get the footage to send it over to YouTube after some editing?

Thanks!
I got nothing

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Need a game for Local-multi with my kid
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 01:55:29 pm »

Crypt of the Necrodancer and Worms have local co-op multiplayer.
Crypt of the Necrodancer is on Steam, I don't know about Worms.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is a roguelike rhythm game. You kill enemies... to the beat. Of the included soundtrack, or your own music.

Worms is a 2-D game, a bit like Lemmings, where you order Worms under your control to fire weaponry at enemies. The weaponry is ridiculous.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 02:19:22 pm »

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime can be a riot to play co-op.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 02:32:18 pm »

River City Ransom Underground - 2.5d beat em up - Coop
Road Redemption - Violent Motorcycle Racing - Coop
Crawl - Dungeon Crawler Light - Versus
Gang Beasts - Silly Brawler - Versus

I don't pay attention to what's trending because trends are not indicative of something being good, just what's popular. I just recommend what I've had good fun with in the past.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 03:04:02 pm »

Battleblock theater?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 03:20:51 pm »

I went on a whole 2-day search for local-multi games to play with my girlfriend, and on PC I feel it's like a thing that's only getting some good attention NOW, so my guess better games are still being developed. In other words, don't feel weird if you can't find much good stuff.

The best ones which we spend most time in is Rocket League and Towerfall. You should seriously try both, but Towerfall has a learning curve (it's supposed to be hard, and DAMN HARD on harder modes) so I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a 5 year old. Definitely worth a try though.
There's also Sky Rogue, which she didn't like, but I love, and I strongly suggest it because one of the first games I played when becoming a conscious human being was Ace Combat.

I believe I tried almost all the other games in the thread, and in order of popularity/success between me and gf: Battleblock Theater, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, Worms, Gang Beasts, Crypt of the Necrodancer.

On a side note, as a PC Master Race guy I easily praise consoles as they are still the local co-op kings.

Regarding recording, I think Bandicam is okay, along with Handbrake for compression. I rarely record/edit, and it's usually quick, not very involved videos. Here.

E: On Fraps, it's not ideal nowadays as PCs can run games and compress videos a bit, at the same time. And I've had many issues with Fraps with certain games, it would kill my FPS or would make the game stutter. I was running on a +3 year old GPU when that happened, but all in all..Fraps doesn't seem that great anymore, unless you want uncompressed, crystal-clear video.
I just use bandicam because it's the first thing that came up on Google Search, but I always find it's quality to be a bit meh sometimes. Might have do with the fact that I'm too lazy to fine tune presets and just use those that sound good (or copy some preset that seems reasonable from the internet). Same thing applies to editing software, which I'm too lazy to fine tune.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:33:16 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 03:50:43 pm »

I'm gonna second Worms. Worms WMD is on Steam, the latest title and a jolly good time to have.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 04:03:53 pm »

Theres some great suggestions on here and already I have grabbed of few of these. THANKS TO ALL!

I also want to keep the conversation going to see what else pops up. Bonus for cool Early Access games on Steam that we can play, because I think those might get some good attention on YouTube.

Also, double bonus for games that we can play with Xbox controllers. I thik most or all of these are good for that with the exception of Worms. FOr what its worth, has anyone tried Worms with a controller? It seems better with mouse, no?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 04:12:48 pm by ductape »
I got nothing

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 04:08:32 pm »

Pretty much requires a mouse IMO, for a lot of the weapons.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 04:17:26 pm »

Theres some great suggestions on here and already I have grabbed of few of these. THANKS TO ALL!

I also want to keep the conversation going to see what else pops up. Bonus for cool Early Access games on Steam that we can play, because I think those might get some good attention on YouTube.

Also, double bonus for games that we can play with Xbox controllers. I thik most or all of these are good for that with the exception of Worms. FOr what its worth, has anyone tried Worms with a controller? It seems better with mouse, no?

I know you can play some of the Worm's games via controller, but I can't remember which ones(maybe all of them?).  It works fine, but I exploded myself pretty often because I kept forgetting the controls at the start.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 05:06:38 pm »

Shoot'em ups are another easy look-in for simple local co-op. OpenTyrian has a fairly weird 2-player mode, where you can join together into a turreted jet if you want, so it might make it easier on your son if his reflexes aren't great. You do the dodging, he does the shooting (well, you both do, but he's got a turret).

Toon Shooters 2: The Freelancers was also apparently getting a PC port/Greenlit. There's a few tough sections, but it has the advantage that you can "save" each other. When you die, within about 10-15 seconds a little orb with your name on it will float on through. If the other player collects it, you're alive again! Should make it easier to progress with your lad, because you're not dead unless you both die in that 10 second window. Only played it on mobile, but the mechanic worked really well. I *think* it has local co-op, and if it doesn't, running two sessions at once should be easy enough, because you're both on the same screen at all times anyway.

You could also boot up an NES emulator and play M.U.L.E. Wait for your kid to backstab you during an auction. Smash him later with your knowledge of economies of scale. It can be co-op against the AI (I mean, if you really want it to be. I guess......)
It's a game. Have fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 05:18:09 pm »

crud what is that game where everyone plays animals who have to go from Point A to Point B... and you create traps, barriers, and paths to it... and hope you are the only one alive at the end?

That is a good local multiplayer game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 05:19:27 pm »

Can I get the footage to send it over to YouTube after some editing?

This is doable.

Twitch just lets you broadcast your stream to people who can watch and chat at you and throw money at you if they're so inclined. Using your Capture software you can capture your Twitch stream and later upload it to Youtube.

Just realize the format expectations are different though for each site. Youtube gameplay videos tend not to last hours. Twitch streams do. Youtube viewers expect bite-sized content for the most part, I think. Twitch viewers expect to spend several hours watching a whole stream. A couple youtubers I follow upload their Twitch streams to Youtube but they usually put them in a special, separate section "to not irritate my youtube subscribers."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2017, 05:19:53 pm »

crud what is that game where everyone plays animals who have to go from Point A to Point B... and you create traps, barriers, and paths to it... and hope you are the only one alive at the end?

That is a good local multiplayer game.

Ultimate Chicken horse?

Actually that reminds me, there is a multiplayer humble bundle with that right now:  https://www.humblebundle.com/hooked-on-multiplayer-bundle

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 05:20:13 pm »

Ultimate Chicken Horse?

Bloody double ninja. I said it first!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: [1] 2 3