Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Roll to Escape the Spaceship [Players: 4/4, Waitlist: 2/4]  (Read 9351 times)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Escape the Spaceship [4/4]
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 01:39:28 pm »

It be better to save so many people and die than let my service aid the Imperials.

I broadcast my plan to the ship via my mind...using nerve impulses to make me turn on the ship's speaker system and tell the occupants. Then, I execute the plan.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 05:54:54 pm »

Start bashing at the door while screaming, trying to get someone's attention.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 12:31:19 pm »

CALAMITY ROLL: [3]
The hull of the ship rumbles ominously as the first few atmospheric particles begin to collide with it. The ship's angle of entry is quite shallow, meaning that there's still some time left before things get really hairy. It's not necessarily too late to change course, but it'd take an incredible effort and considerable luck.

Frank was now beginning to panic. He tries to remember anywhere that had escape pods, and dashes there. If he cannot remember, he picks a random direction and runs.
[6] The desperate conditions bring you a flash of inspiration. You remember doing some routine maintenance on the pod bay doors a few weeks ago, and it's with surprising clarity that you recall a very quick route to their location through some seldom-used maintenance shafts. You can't help but note that it's not the safest option as you dash over to a small trap-door in the corner of the engineering bay and peel it open, revealing a pitch-black ladder well... still, if you can manage to navigate it, it's probably your best bet at this point. Fortunately, there's a small flashlight clipped to your toolbelt that may come in handy here.

It be better to save so many people and die than let my service aid the Imperials.
I broadcast my plan to the ship via my mind...using nerve impulses to make me turn on the ship's speaker system and tell the occupants. Then, I execute the plan.
[1] You press your forehead against the communications console in an exceptionally silly-looking manner and attempt to inform the remaining crew of your idea. Unfortunately, all you succeed in doing is overloading the ship's intercoms with your poorly-aimed brainwaves, causing a shower of sparks to erupt from the console and singeing your eyebrows. You've now got very little to show for your efforts other than an exceptionally bad headache that's making it very tough to concentrate on the task of slowing the ship down - a goal that you make no progress towards for the time being.

Start bashing at the door while screaming, trying to get someone's attention.
[2] You hoot, holler and create a racket as hard as you possibly can, but it seems that the ship's security staff have more interest in escaping their imminent demise than they have in helping out some drunkard engineer. Once it becomes clear that outside help isn't coming, you slump dejectedly against the back of your cell and stare at the ceiling, perhaps thinking about the infinite number of better ways you could've theoretically experienced your final few minutes... this introspection stops, however, when your eyes alight on a vent cover on your cell's ceiling. It's a little too high up to reach on your own, but perhaps if you could relocate the cell's bed...

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 01:47:13 pm »

..I knew I wasn't trained well enough. Guess I'll need to go to that marsh planet, after all. Sorry, people.

Get out in an escape pod, but don't prioritize myself unless it would help more people survive in the long run.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 01:55:08 pm »

Wander around, Theres bound to be someway out of here...
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 02:17:49 pm »

Frank decided to take his chances. He descended into the vent-thingy, and turned on his flashlight, trying to navigate to the pods.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 04:32:47 pm »

Push my bed under the vent and use the screwdriver to remove the screws and climb in.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2017, 05:19:45 pm »

CALAMITY ROLL: [5]
Super-heated flakes of cheap armour plating peel off the ship's exterior as it dangerously skims the upper atmosphere, losing more and more metres of altitude to the indomitable forces of gravity and aerodynamic friction. Although the increasing drag makes for a bumpy ride and liberates the outer hull of some of its more delicate instruments, things aren't declining quite as rapidly as much of the crew feared. Mostly everyone has reached an escape pod at this point, with time to spare, and there's precious few of them left to go around for the stragglers.

..I knew I wasn't trained well enough. Guess I'll need to go to that marsh planet, after all. Sorry, people.
Get out in an escape pod, but don't prioritize myself unless it would help more people survive in the long run.
[4] You elect to give up on manipulating the fate of the doomed Imperial vessel - for some reason, you never felt particularly inclined to help anything related to any sort of 'Empire' anyway - and make for the pods. You navigate the upper deck's corridors with enough aptitude to locate the pod bay, but much of the crew has already made use of the available pods while you were busy headbutting expensive bridge equipment. There is, however, one remaining pod on the command deck - and it seats one. You were hoping that one could be you, but another individual skids to a halt in front of you just as you reach it. He's one of the reservist marines that tends to get assigned to low-risk transport missions such as the one this ship was undertaking, and although he evidently didn't have time to get his pyjamas off in the rush to escape, he did find the time to liberate his laser rifle from the armory. He eyes you warily, and you get the feeling he's not as inclined as you are to give up the single available spot in the pod for someone else.

Wander around, Theres bound to be someway out of here...
[4] You spend a minute or so bumping into walls and tripping over crates in the dim light of the cargo bay before locating an access door that a panicking cargo technician must've forgotten to close on his way out. All the doors in the corridor beyond, however, are shut tight, and you lack the means to open them with your current access level - which is 'nothing'. There's a couple of ventilation hatches in the immediate area, though - some of which lead into the floor, others into the ceiling. Not very helpful, considering you don't know either which deck you're on or which one you're headed for... though there's a single non-electronic maintenance door that someone left ajar, if you decide to opt for lateral instead of vertical movement.

Frank decided to take his chances. He descended into the vent-thingy, and turned on his flashlight, trying to navigate to the pods.
[3] You wonder to yourself if these tunnels were even designed for human traversal as you wiggle your way past a low-hanging pipe - that thought, however, is knocked out of your head when your hard hat collides with a second low-hanging pipe immediately behind the first. Nevertheless, your months of experience have granted you superficial knowledge of the twisting shafts you're in, and after a few minutes' wriggling and crawling, you fall out of a ceiling vent unceremoniously. A quick glance around tells you that you've found your way to the brig - not where you wanted to be, necessarily, and not an area that you technically have access to, but you do happen to know that there's a battery of escape pods not far from here on this deck... if you can just reach them without the use of your now-inadequate access card.

Push my bed under the vent and use the screwdriver to remove the screws and climb in.
[4] Thinking quickly, you pull your bed into the centre of the cell and climb atop it, using your years of screwing experience to do away with the bolts holding the vent cover above you in place. It drops into your hands and you scramble upwards after a few (admittedly rather fun) jumps atop the ratty old brig mattress you were so recently using to nap on. You notice a few flashes of light glancing off the cramped vent walls further up the shaft, before a mighty clattering and a pained grunt from below heralds their disappearance. It seems like you weren't the only one who had the idea to use the ship's various hidden passageways to get around, though you do wonder if whoever it is you just saw knows where they're going better than you do.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2017, 05:26:15 pm »

If he's willing to shoot me to save himself, he doesn't deserve the seat. Give him an angry look and send my hand foreward to make it look like I'm trying to use the Friction on him, but only use it when he shoots at me, using it on his gun to resist the movement of the pullet/lazer/whatever, making it blow up in his hands. Then, I take the pod out of here, making sure to lock the door behind me.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 05:30:06 pm »

Frank rushes to the door which would lead him in the direction of the escape pods, and attempts to override any needs for access by the fact that it's a goddamn emergency. Failing this, he whips out any kind of welding torch he may have, and tries a "manual" override on the control panel.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2017, 05:32:19 pm »

Welp, two is better then one so go towards where the light and sounds was.

CubeJackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 12:34:59 pm »

CALAMITY ROLL: [3]
The altitude situation is starting to rapidly deteriorate at this point. Your surely-doomed ship plunges deep into the thermosphere of the unidentified planetoid, losing more and more horizontal velocity as the swelling air pressure forces it downwards. The sheer heat of re-entry causes your vessel to glow red-hot as increasingly large chunks of it melt away and burn to a crisp. Alarms begin to blare around the vessel's fore, indicating that the hull has begun to rupture in various departments. Those who haven't already escaped should seriously think about doing so before the whole thing breaks apart.

If he's willing to shoot me to save himself, he doesn't deserve the seat. Give him an angry look and send my hand foreward to make it look like I'm trying to use the Friction on him, but only use it when he shoots at me, using it on his gun to resist the movement of the pullet/lazer/whatever, making it blow up in his hands. Then, I take the pod out of here, making sure to lock the door behind me.
[6] You adopt the most severe, serious expression you've ever pulled off and raise your hand with the unspoken purpose and experience of a storied Iddej master, displaying your open palm to your would-be assailant in both a warning gesture and a crack attempt at intimidation. In response, his expression visibly withers and he lets out an ever-so-quiet whimper as he backs off slowly, then breaks into a sprint and leaves the room completely, barely keeping his panicked footing as turbulence wracks the vessel. You're not sure if there's even any other pods on this deck for the terrified marine to flee to, but you feel somewhat limited sympathy for him as you claim your well-earned escape vessel and prime the launch mechanism, sending you flying out of the doomed ship and into the upper atmosphere. Miraculously, you've still got enough altitude to spare to ensure a safe landing... provided you can wrangle with the pod's primitive navigation systems competently enough to avoid slamming into a mountainside or something.

Frank rushes to the door which would lead him in the direction of the escape pods, and attempts to override any needs for access by the fact that it's a goddamn emergency. Failing this, he whips out any kind of welding torch he may have, and tries a "manual" override on the control panel.
[4] You call upon your years of experience as you scoot over to what you're sure is the correct door, whipping out your trusty airlock interface device and plugging it into the access panel. Given the nature of your emergency, the door's automatic systems accept your request for an emergency override, and you step out into the corridor beyond. As you suspected, there's a large, flashing sign about a hundred metres away that reads 'ESCAPE', alongside an arrow pointing towards an otherwise-unassuming airlock. An ominous rumble reverberates around the ship's hull before you can celebrate, however, and a bout of turbulence knocks loose some ceiling panels and causes the lights to flicker. Needless to say, if there's a pod bay right there, then you're currently at the edge of the ship's interior - and there's no telling how much longer the outer hull next to you will hold against the ever-increasing heat around the vessel. A dash for the pods at this point, needless to say, would be risky if the situation outside deteriorates further.

Welp, two is better then one so go towards where the light and sounds was.
[5] You scuttle down the vent like a drunk spider and hop down into the brig proper, which seems to be where your new friend left through. A quick visual inspection of the area confirms that you're not alone, as you catch sight of an engineer fiddling with the exit airlock. You're not sure, but you think you've worked with that guy in the past - it's Frank, the engineering team's resident welding expert. The door whooshes open at his unspoken command, and the look that crosses his face as he peers down the corridor beyond implies that he's found what he's looking for - which, you're assuming, is an escape route. He hasn't noticed you yet, as the rumbling of the deteriorating ship disguised your passage out of the vents - but assuming there's no bad blood between you and your colleague, you've no reason to think he'd be unhappy to see you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 12:43:52 pm »

"Shit... almost there, now."

Unless interrupted, Frank makes a dash for any open escape pod, and immediately launches.

If the up-until-now unseen person tries to push him aside, Frank will do the obvious thing that a terrified human in his situation would do; he punches the shit out of the man, and then continues the above action.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 02:30:10 pm by Coolrune206 »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 12:55:54 pm »

Er, I'll head Downwards.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 01:59:24 pm »

Run up to Frank and push him aside.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:25:32 pm by Yottawhat »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6