Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you capture wild animals?  (Read 1019 times)

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
How do you capture wild animals?
« on: April 04, 2017, 03:09:10 pm »

Hello, I've been playing the game for a month but I can't figure out how to capture wild animals with cages. When they're put down, animals just walk through them, even in 3X3 traps surrounding a food stockpile.
So, how do I make them work?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: How do you capture wild animals?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 03:25:55 pm »

You don't mean just building a cage and waiting for something to walk inside of it, right? Because that doesn't work in real life, and it won't work in the game.

If you want to capture a creature, you need two things: a mechanics workshop and a carpenters workshop. You can build the necessary cages in a carpenters workshop, but to build the trap you need mechanisms, which can be built in the mechanics workshop.

Once you have the necessary mechanisms, you can build a cage trap with b-T-c. By pressing those keys, the game will let you select the location of the trap. And once you click enter, you choose the mechanisms you want to use.

There are a few more things to remember. Loading a cage trap takes time, a dwarf has to bring an empty cage to the trap. The trap is not loaded when it is first built, only after one of your mechanics loads it. Cage traps also can be viewed as a more effective means of defense because unlike other traps, cage traps always capture the creature if it can't avoid traps, while weapon traps only sometimes get the kill. This makes cage traps an effective weapon against invading goblins and monsters alike, but a trap that is slow to set up, and gives you another problem: what to do with all of these captured goblins?

But what you're talking about is simply building cages to capture and tame creatures, not to protect your kingdom from hundreds of invaders. So just place them anywhere that the elephants can get to them, and you will capture something eventually.

Alpha Loves You

• Bay Watcher
  • I've marked a border
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:44:44 pm »

You don't mean just building a cage and waiting for something to walk inside of it, right? Because that doesn't work in real life, and it won't work in the game.
You know, when you phrase it like that, I feel like an idiot. Guess it worked though
Thanks

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:48:59 pm »

You know, when you phrase it like that, I feel like an idiot. Guess it worked though
Thanks

Trust me, dumber DF mistakes have been made. This game has a habit of making us all feel like idiots xD

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 12:13:27 am »

.....while weapon traps only sometimes get the kill.

And they can jam, and in the latest versions apparently the items in the weapon trap eventually degrade to nothingness
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 01:18:07 am »

i like to build a wall about 20-30 tiles long in a perpendicular to map edge fashion, with traps at the ends. (preferably in an area i have seen creatures before). and set traps there, yes, even wood.  I usually start getting something at least within year 1-2.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 03:38:19 am »

i like to build a wall about 20-30 tiles long in a perpendicular to map edge fashion, with traps at the ends. (preferably in an area i have seen creatures before). and set traps there, yes, even wood.  I usually start getting something at least within year 1-2.

Wouldn't it be much easier to channel a ditch (and remove the upramps)? Channeling soil is great to train new miners, and much quicker than building a wall... Or do the animals jump over the ditch nowadays?

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 08:28:40 am »

Notice where the animals that enter your map tend to come from and build a cross of cages there. 10-15 high with a bar of 10-15 across. Animals tend to follow mostly the same paths.

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 09:15:36 pm »

No your right vanatte but that's too easy!