Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 43.05 Mysterious collapses - rhino related?  (Read 1398 times)

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
43.05 Mysterious collapses - rhino related?
« on: April 03, 2017, 04:02:06 pm »

My outdoor animal pens keep suffering occasional collapses & I've no idea why

There are no trees encompassed by the pens, no mysterious 'floating floors', etc; they're all simply grass/shrub in a tropical biome

Is it possible that my rhino breeding program may be causing these events somehow? I've a couple of adults & maybe half a dozen calves all in the same large (at least 20x20, prolly more) pen with my other 'spare' animals + grazers.. there's nothing else I can think of. Animals keep being 'distressed' by the collapses & injuries (that's the down-pointing yellow arrow, right?), so they're not making full use of the pens' size to feed :(

BTW all these pens are at surface lvl with at least 2 lvls undisturbed beneath, so it's only surface 'collapses' I'm experiencing

(PS these are standard rhinos not giant ones, if that makes a difference)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:12:34 pm by Snafu »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: 43.05 Mysterious collapses - rhino related?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 07:05:21 pm »

They're starving due to how packed in it is, or too distracted to eat.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 07:34:44 pm »

I have nothing to contribute.  I just wanted to say how much I love that this topic is a serious thing.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 07:58:08 pm »

They're starving due to how packed in it is, or too distracted to eat.
Doesnt explain the collapses tho..

Not packed: plenty of room, they just won't move :(

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 09:11:51 pm »

There are no trees encompassed by the pens, no mysterious 'floating floors', etc; they're all simply grass/shrub in a tropical biome

There likely *were* trees, and the removed/regrowing trees are responsible for the collapses.

Is it possible that my rhino breeding program may be causing these events somehow?

No.

Animals keep being 'distressed' by the collapses & injuries (that's the down-pointing yellow arrow, right?)

No; that's distraction due to your animals being unable to socialize, a known bug.

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 10:07:12 am »

There likely *were* trees, and the removed/regrowing trees are responsible for the collapses.
That makes sennse for the original area, but the spot where I moved the pen to has always been ground level (& IIRC never had trees growing there); there are now collapses happening at the new area & not the old one..

[edit]The reason I suspected rhino issues were if they were randomly charging things due to rage (as well as their mass ofc), but I dunno how to check this possibility[/edit]

Animals keep being 'distressed' by the collapses & injuries (that's the down-pointing yellow arrow, right?)

No; that's distraction due to your animals being unable to socialize, a known bug.
So it's just a coincidence that the yellow arrows' appearance coincided with the collapses?

TVM for your responses tho
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 04:04:54 pm by Snafu »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 10:52:13 pm »

the spot where I moved the pen to has always been ground level (& IIRC never had trees growing there); there are now collapses happening at the new area & not the old one..

That's odd. If you post a save on DFFD someone will take a look at it.

[edit]The reason I suspected rhino issues were if they were randomly charging things due to rage (as well as their mass ofc), but I dunno how to check this possibility[/edit]

Creatures are currently quite limited in what impact they can have on the game area. A charging rhino, for instance, cannot destroy a wall (though, due to a bug, it can teleport through it). I suspect at some point critters will be able to dig, topple trees, crash through walls, etc., but as far as I know none of that is implemented yet.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 12:33:22 am »

the spot where I moved the pen to has always been ground level (& IIRC never had trees growing there); there are now collapses happening at the new area & not the old one..

Creatures are currently quite limited in what impact they can have on the game area. A charging rhino, for instance, cannot destroy a wall (though, due to a bug, it can teleport through it). I suspect at some point critters will be able to dig, topple trees, crash through walls, etc., but as far as I know none of that is implemented yet.

Bad War Dog! Bad! Stop Channeling and letting the enemies in underneath yor pasture! You're a very bad War Dog!
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 06:22:20 pm »

Ofc, now I've mentioned it here it no longer (has) happened in the untreed area..  :) I can post a 'post-save' if that would be useful..

If you're correct & the random treed area was limited to the known bug that's fine.. I simply didn't want my rhino (& every other grazer, currently) pastures to be followed by randomly generating cave-ins :(