Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: You go over your Tree Quota by 1 tree. what do you do next?  (Read 2891 times)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You go over your Tree Quota by 1 tree. what do you do next?
« on: April 03, 2017, 03:01:07 pm »

so let's say that you're trying to stay on the good side of the elves in hope of some bad-ass war animals, and you also have elven diplomats (and, thus, tree quotas enabled).

Let's further say that you notice you accidentally went over the tre quota by 1 tree.

What do you do next?

A) Put the tree back together with spit and duct tape
B) hope they don't notice
C) Clearcut the entire forest
D) Prepare the Elf Pits
E) Flood the entire Surface with lava.

If you answered A) or B), we have a VERRAH NAHCE pit prepared for you deep down in our fortress. Smoothed and engraved walls, a luxury Chain, fight to the death, the works!

>.>

Of course, there's also one more option:

F) Weaponize the elves by trapping them inside the depot until they go insane, and unleashing the berserkers against the next caravan foolish enough to trade with you. Anyone that does not go beserk is put down once the ambushed caravan is put into another trade depot hell until they snap too. looted. taken care of.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You go over your Tree Quota by 1 tree. what do you do next?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 04:07:56 pm »

Just a general query, touching upon point E:

If you achieve success (of point E) in a rainy biome, will that eventually result in infinite surface obsidian?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 06:30:03 pm »

Obviously D, no dorfier option.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 06:35:35 pm »

C, then E, then B.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 07:26:40 pm »

Why do you care what the Elves think? Think about the kinds of animals you want, think about the kind of biomes they live in, and factor that into your settlement location. Then catch the animals yourself when they come along. Why would you buy badass war animals when you can capture a breeding population, train them yourself, and then sell them back to the elves in nice lead cages . . .

Or sell them to the humans along with a nice "let's attack the elves together!" treaty. Sell them to the humans. Definitely. You can use wooden cages when you sell to the humans and a decently trained animal won't leave a wooden cage.

This is definitely the road I'm taking when the economy arc lets us affect the supplies our civilization can muster for embarks and such.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 07:32:50 pm »

On a somewhat serious note, you actually get multiple warnings for going over the limit.  Come to think of it, I have yet to start a war over the tree cutting limit.  !SCIENCE!?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 07:33:40 pm »

The problem with both of your approaches is not enough E.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 08:04:34 pm »

C then D then E. Clearcut the forest, followed by trapping all elves in a pit, then filling the pit with magma.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 01:37:45 am »

(B) with added stuff: I'm {o}ffering a lot of stuff to all the traders who come through (humans, dorfs, elves, no difference) so I might add a few more expensive gem-decorated marble mugs to their extras next time around.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 04:17:27 am »

To answer Snafu: Rain will not cause obsidianization. If it did, there would be no volcanoes.

Elves will be annoyed with you passing the limit, and since they're already annoyed with that I'd cut as much as I can (I don't think it matters whether I'm above the quota by one or 1000). As far as I understand they'll essentially warn you but give you a new quota.
Now, if you follow Thisfox' role playing route you should obviously not abuse the binary test failure, but stop the cutting immediately (and use duct tape).

Those who want war with the elves have apparently had to work hard and persistently at it to get it.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 08:55:16 pm »

Probably not with the next release. Just send a raid or three and wait for the inevitable.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 11:12:23 am »

Clearcut, ignore the elf quota, murder the diplomat when they show up to whine, murder the elf ambushers that result.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

cyrohound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 12:36:35 pm »

I prepare the elf pits, and ensure my steel clad defense force (and my hospital) has all the supplies they need for their extra long training session.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 02:01:37 pm »

The correct answer is flushing pressurized water into the enclosed depot that trains to a drowning chamber. 
After the elves are no longer breathing, you will be surprised that those in cages are unaffected and remain tamed for your pasture.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 02:18:25 pm »

The correct answer is flushing pressurized water into the enclosed depot that trains to a drowning chamber. 
After the elves are no longer breathing, you will be surprised that those in cages are unaffected and remain tamed for your pasture.

Taming them? You can make them tamable on the fly through modding. I did that once.
Pages: [1] 2