Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread  (Read 16799 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Picture Wars, WIP/General thread
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2017, 08:36:15 pm »

I like the prototypes a lot! The blue guy moreso, but keep it up! Id like to see more.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2017, 04:16:42 am »

I like the prototypes a lot! The blue guy moreso, but keep it up! Id like to see more.
I'm pretty sure the blue guy is OceanSoul's and is just used for size reference.

I would use a more rocky, earthy and gray color, because it kinda looks like a robot now.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2017, 05:36:17 am »

yeah the blue guy is just size reference, can't believe I forgot to say that, I posted a similar picture on the actual game thread(the FFA one) where I did say that, but I guess when I made a new one here(since this is a better thread for it) I forgot to.

Also, I'll take the advice into account thanks, I think I might make two variants, one with bright colors(not this much so, but more so than the others) and one with dull colors and bits of moss and stuff on it, the difference being the former is in the temples, while the latter was exposed when buried, or is somewhat exposed to the surface.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2017, 06:31:39 am »

For colors go ahead and check out my orocks outside of their mechs. I posted them on the fourth page. In the beginning they were just red balls with an eye, but now they actually look like rock with a bit of magma.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2017, 06:47:23 am »

(double post)
So I've been thinking about maps for PW and decided that maybe I should kickstart map makers on bay 12. I thought the best way would be to start a map collaboration. If anyone is interested, I would like to repair this map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
At first it seems alright, however it was saved in jpg and thus is unusable. Anyone up for this?

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2017, 08:33:50 am »

I think I'd rather increase my skill level firs before moving on to maps.

I did some color adjustments, I think they definitely look more like carved stone than before now. Also made a door, basically going with the logic of "the temple was here the whole time, but buried" for cave levels and such. With the rest of the temple slowly emerging as the battle progresses. This door, and occasionally the wall and floor near it, is where the golems will emerge from. As well as a flying unit, which I call the sentry. Weaknesses include movement based vision, limited line of sight, straight line only movement, and getting flipped over.

also, I didn't bother filling in the bits of the background that got erased when I moved or recolored selected bits.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:35:39 am by Failbird105 »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2017, 10:20:03 am »

idk what program you're using, but if you can, always have your sprites on a separate layer from your background. It helps immensely. Also sorry about the mixup lol!

Here's a tip, it seems a lot of the PW maps out there, at least the high quality ones, tend to be pretty dark in color, you may want to subdue the colors for placed objects so they kind of pop out of the background, but remain part of the map.

@Snow, that seems very unpleasant lol.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2017, 10:41:47 am »

idk what program you're using, but if you can, always have your sprites on a separate layer from your background. It helps immensely. Also sorry about the mixup lol!

Here's a tip, it seems a lot of the PW maps out there, at least the high quality ones, tend to be pretty dark in color, you may want to subdue the colors for placed objects so they kind of pop out of the background, but remain part of the map.

@Snow, that seems very unpleasant lol.
I'm just using paint.Net, and I'll try that, for the temple thanks.

I'm going to TRY working on another unit, not sure how well I'll do with this one, because of the rough design idea I have for it. It's either going to be their basic unit, or their "tank" unit, its like they REALLY need one since they're all pretty tough, but still.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2017, 10:58:46 am »

(double post)

I made two alternatives of the door is this something like what you meant? and if so, are either of these alternatives good, or should they be darker?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2017, 11:32:53 am »

Ya those are nice. I'd keep all of them on the sprite sheet, just for quick-place outside, in the shade, or in darker... darkness.

The sprite sheet continues. Added/updated Overseerbot, kind of the A.I. core of the army, and Minebot... basically a little dude who swarms even harder, but has NO durability and explodes upon impact.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2017, 01:24:42 pm »

So, Paint.Net decided to fuck up and corrupt my sprite sheet when I saved it, so now while my progress isn't entirely lost, I only have pre-assembled golems instead of the modules like I was intending.

I can still work with this, but it means I have to redo most of the rollers parts.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2017, 02:30:14 pm »

Try GIMP out. It might be more reliable? Plus layers for convenience and what have you.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2017, 04:20:04 pm »

Try GIMP out. It might be more reliable? Plus layers for convenience and what have you.
Paint.Net has those too, its just that for some reason this one time, it fucked up, and was a really annoying fuckup.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2017, 05:09:42 pm »

Gotcha! Save often!

Here's a test for a new army. Thoughts?

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2017, 05:16:43 pm »

Gotcha! Save often!

Here's a test for a new army. Thoughts?
Nice, love the shading, however I think his legs could be more spread apart(maybe?).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13