Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: ☢We the forgotten ones: a twilight 2000 RPG (3/6?)☢ An Atomic Anabasis.  (Read 5252 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OCC TREAD HERE

Five years ago, the nations of the world began their war for global supremacy.
Three years ago, a massive nuclear exchange failed to give any side the decisive advantage
they sought.
One year ago, the US Fifth Infantry Division launched a drive into enemy-held Poland, part of
an offensive to knock the Soviets back to their homeland.
It failed. Now the Red Diamond is deep in enemy territory, reduced to small units without
support, supply, or reinforcement. The war for Europe has turned into the war for survival.

For weeks you have had only intermittent and confused messages from both sides as units and men refuse to leave there territory.
At first it was with excuses lack fuel, the need for resupply but now you hear clear disobedience, commanders being told to come and make there men move.

Before the radio fall's silent you get one last message:

"To all units this is Deneral Hardwell speaking, Black Dragon confirms the 12th guards lead offensive has over run our lines outside of LODZ,Sompolno and taken the bridge at Sieradz.
I repeat soviet forces are mobile towards Kalisz.

I Repeat to all unit of the US 5th Infantry Division, we are unable to assist with the withdrawal at this present time.
Your on your own now, Good luck. -Click-"

Now what?

You are camped in the woods by the banks of the river Warta, you where meant cover the bridge.
A quick look at your map tells you at you will soon be enveloped by hostile forces.
But just maybe you might be able to slip away but how?

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Unmarked map (click to show/hide)

Player characters

Spoiler: Players Team Inventory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Players Vehicles (click to show/hide)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anderson E. Walker, Major United States Marine Corps, stepped towards the vehicle's radio, cleaning his greasy hands on an almost-equally greasy rag. Far from the "glory" imagined before the war, and far from whatever importance his rank officially bestowed, the only relevant qualification he currently held was being a mechanic. Not that he'd ever really been anything else during his military career than a tanker-mechanic, an officer-mechanic, an officer organizing mechanics, and, as the war sucked more and more resources, an officer-mechanic again.

And so, as Hardwell's message confirmed what they had all feared during the last weeks had become true, he leaned against the cargo carrier and, for a moment, looked much older than normally. "Look on our works, ye mighty, and despair," he said, shaking his head.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:07:10 pm by 3_14159 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Oceanus Azadian sat on the low hood of "his" "jeep", cleaning and re-cleaning his rifle while throwing worried looks at the bridge just visible from their perch, almost as he expected to see a Russian tank division rolling over it at any moment, regardless of how unlikely that was to occur. With the Major's comment, however, he was snapped out of his musing, speaking in a still broken English, learned in youth, forgotten, and now being learned once more. "We have to blow the bridge now? It's likely that they could send troops to it, or at least try to provide guards to it."
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile

Having stopped his slow pacing, Paul cocked his head towards the direction of the speaking men. The infantryman's left hand lightly gripped his chin, the index finger brushed over the black stubble which resided there. He thought about the bridge they were meant to cover from the Soviets. He also thought about how he needed to shave.
Max avatar size is 80x80

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Soon Paul drifted over towards a lone, tall, leafless tree. He rested an elbow on its side.

"I'm not too sure bout that chief. We might invite a lot of unwanted guests with a big bang."
Max avatar size is 80x80

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anderson nodded at both. "We won't need that bridge, and everyone that could make it is already across." He pulled himself up into the M548's driver cabin, a tight fit for his bulk - 96 kilos of muscles - and returned with the map of Kalisz which he unfurled on the pseudo-jeep's hood next to the Armenian.
The map, almost as tattered as it could be and still hold together, was filled with pencil, marking their plans for the offensive, their advance belying their plans, their plans for a retreat, and, during the last days, the reality of their retreat. The most current markings showed probable enemy attacks at Konin, Uniejow, Sieradz, and Wielun, and a blue-force presence shrinking and scattering far too fast.
He took a pencil from a uniform pocket and added another mark at the ex-divisional headquarters near Kalisz. "Whatever we do, we have to do it fast. We do not want to be caught in the pocket."

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oceanus pondered for a few moments, before poking at the map. "We can blow the bridge, head north and cross the territory of Kolo, which should put us in pretty empty land. That means abandoning any pocketed friendly groups and there is a risk that may be hostile forces at both the bridge sites between here and Kolo. Or we can look to keep ahead and try to and avoid pockets in the south west, perhaps picking up any survivors along the way, but if I was the Russians, I was getting fuel to the hands of the Russian motor rifles and have them try to cut the corner of the scene."
Highly Opinionated Fool

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Paul left the lonesome tree's side and began to stroll over to the LuAZ-967. After all, he did not want to miss this impromptu briefing with his new companions. He stood next to the hood of the jeep and studied the splayed map below. He thought silently to himself as his dark brown eyes gazed at the many towns, roads, other geographic features, and their accompanying penciled notations.

"Blowing the bridge doesn't sound that bad after all," the private said. "Anybody recall what type of bridge it is? Is it a heavy duty type of thing?"
Max avatar size is 80x80

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anderson took another look at the map. "Fifty kilometres to Kolo? We should be able to get there with what fuel we have left. Hide in the forest either to the south or east," his finger stabbed down onto the map twice, "and we might just make it."
He turned to Paul. "Engineers put it up real quick, so I don't think it should be too stable. But unless it's already wired, I don't know how to blow it."

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Yeah, I don't have the knowhow to blow the bridge either," Paul replied. "But I suppose it'd be still wise hike up there and take a looksee at the hideaway."
Max avatar size is 80x80

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"If you Americans failed to change anything when you got plans from the Russians, we should be able to just tow the temporary span out of the way onto our side. It's a kind of interesting that command dident leave us the bridge layer it came from."
 Oceanus pauses for a moment, thinking. "Do any of us have a cutting torch?"
Highly Opinionated Fool

3_14159

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anderson shook his head. "Lost it during the retreat. We'll just have to tow it. Makes it less likely to be noticed, too."
He smiled. "All right then. We'll head north towards Kolo, stop by at the bridge to just tow it out of the way, and hope we'll be able to avoid anyone finding us. Anything else?"
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:56:02 am by 3_14159 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Armenian shakes his head slowly. "Mostly who rides where, and who with. 'Though, we should probably stop about two klicks short, have us in the Jeep scouting ahead. Call in after, say, an hour and a half, and if we don't call, we are likely captured or worse."

He pauses, thinking for a moment. "I would rather have someone with me who can work with the rifle, along with someone with some sort of machinegun, or possibly a DMR."
Highly Opinionated Fool

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hand united with chin and eyes cast slightly downwards, Paul appeared to be pensive as Oceanus and Anderson spoke. The man soon returned his gaze to the soldiers.

"You sure we don't have cutting torch somewhere?" Paul asked. "I mean we got a whole lot things back here. We could have an extra one laying around. I'll go and have a peek."

With that, Paul started walking towards the cargo carrier.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eveline Vogel moved from her position by a nearby tree to peer over the map as the group spoke. She is an old woman, past her prime, the war had started either too late or too early for her liking. A military doctor, though in the past weeks she had relied more on skills acquired more than a decade before in the Bundeswehr, mostly sitting around for long periods of time.

Rubbing her eyes she turns to watch Paul go, then turning back to Oceanus.

"Kolo vorks, other poor souls vill have to find their own vay. I'll go vith the Jeep?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5