Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Dominus - Or how i learned to stop worrying and embrace the Bloodsport (8/8)  (Read 7362 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the seediest drinking establishment of Delecta, there sits a squat, potbellied man. He's clothed in noble finery and seems to pinch his coin a bit too hard, not buying a drink or tipping a beggar, regardless, there's a sort of energy about him many find likeable, and at the moment, he stands on a table, mirthfully regaling a crowd of working men and the dredges of society with the wonders of the Arena.

"Thousands of men and women, given over to glorious combat! They engage in vicious, beautiful slaughter with one another, with both man and beast! Only the mightiest and the boldest reign victorious, yet those few indulge in riches beyond your imagination!

"Imagine, if you will, the sound of the trumpets, the howls of foreign and deadly beasts! The screams of agony and the triumphant cries of victory! The spurts of crimson blood and the flash of glinting steel! Imagine, if you will, all of these, coming together in miraculous display!"

"This I tell you, it is yours to witness! And all for nary five Sesterces at Domenico Cassini's Bloody Pit Of Battle! This I tell you! Where else in the fine streets of Delecta can one find such rich, quality entertainment? Nowhere, that's where, and I'm offering it all to you for but a pittance!"

"What's more, the children, the elderly, and those who have served in the glorious legions of Rome may spectate without cost! You'd have to be a fool to pass this up, and I know a smart crowd when I see it! If you're interested and seeking entertainment, come to Domenico Cassini's Bloody Pit Of Bold Battle at the end of the week, and I shall have a brilliant spectacle prepared, the likes of which you've never seen!"

With that, the little man bows with a flourish and climbs off the table, leaving the establishment behind him.

Domenico Cassini spreads the word of his Bloody Pit Of Bold Battle to the poor, promising a 5 Sesterces entry fee, with free admission to children, the elderly, and those who have served in the Roman Legion.

Domenico paces back and forth in the market, looking for wares worthy of purchase. For something to add a bit of... spice, to the Pit fights. He marvels at the Troglodyte and finely crafted steel armaments, but frowns at his shallow pockets.

"Feh, mayhap next time, even Julius had to start from somewhere. For now I suppose I'll need something a bit less costly. No matter, I suspect anything I could come up with would marvel Delecta's citizenry, so bland have things been of late."

Domenico Cassini purchases 1 Useless Slave for 1 Sesterce, to serve as a personal servant. He purchases 8 Subpar Slaves for 24 Sesterces, and 2 Wild Dogs for 40 Sesterces, leaving him with 35 Sesterces.

Domenico Cassini purchases 6 Wooden weapons and 2 Copper weapons for 16 Sesterces. He also purchases 2 Bucklers for 10 Sesterces. He also purchases 8 Cloth armors for 8 Sesterces, leaving him with only 1 Sesterces, which he throws down a well as a sacrifice to Mars, in the hopes of gaining his blessing in the days ahead.

Next, Domenico Cassini equips his slaves as follows: The two largest and strongest Subpar Slaves receive 2 Copper weapons, 2 Bucklers, and 2 Cloth armors. The remaining 6 Subpar Slaves receive 6 Wooden weapons and 6 Cloth armors.

Domenico Cassini then plans the fights for the week. Each fight takes place in the middle of the night, six hours separate of one another, and spectators are charged admittance for each fight they spectate. Betting and gambling among the crowd is encouraged.

Fight 1: Two less-equipped Subpar Slaves fight to the death. In anticipation of the battle, they are starved the week before.

Fight 2: One well-equipped Subpar Slave fights two Wild Dogs to the death. In anticipation, the Subpar Slave and Wild Dogs are starved the week before, and the Subpar Slave is slathered in meat grease beforehand.

Fight 3: One well-equipped Subpar Slave and three less-equipped Subpar Slaves fight to the death in a Team Battle. One side is made up of the well-equipped Subpar Slave and the weakest less-equipped Subpar Slave, the other side is made up of the two stronger less-equipped Subpar Slaves. In anticipation of the battle, all four of the Subpar Slaves are starved the week before.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:14:24 am by Ardent Debater »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Broker (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:03:33 am by crazyabe »
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

Fine except for the Name Zane. While it is of semitic or mespotamian origin its simply too american sounding. Otherwise you are accepted, ill put you in the turn post.

As a Broker in Humans you will not recieve odd places to travel to, since humans are everywhere, so you can freely choose where to go to.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name changed.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile

Marcus shall be trained in weapon skill.
Lar shall be trained in constitution. 
Titus shall be trained in constitution.

Man, that's such a shame. Titus would have been almost perfect if he wasn't frail.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm going try to catch some men in the north with my men.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The North is large and there are many places you might try and capture your future gladiators:

The Northern Provinces are the northern part of the Republic, the local populace has been civilized but holdovers from their babaric past are still around, notably a little village which has been resisting the encroaching republic for a veeery long time.

Britannia and the Pictish Marshes respectively the republic part and the non-republic part of the Northern isles. Highly dangerous one finds roaring red-haired babarians down yonder and even some of the elusive Fae.

Suevian Lands The Suevians border the republic and stand unconquered...mostly because the republic decided that the amounts of trouble pacifying the Suevians certainly isn't worth the death of thousands of Republican legionaries. The Suevians stand as dangerous foes, babaric by Republic standards they share their forest covered lands with all manner of intelligent creatures.

Cimmeria and Sarmatia East to the Suevia lie the even more babaric Cimmerians and beyond them the Horse Mercenaries of the Sarmatians and their Warrior Women which cut off one of their breasts to be better at archery.

Far Hyboria All kinds of mythical and legendary folk live there no civilized man has set foot there yet.

Asgard, Vanaheim and the Utmost North Far beyond even Cimmeria in the Cold and Eternal Snow covered North lies Asgard, fighting eternally with the Northmen of Vanaheim and even beyond them at the Utmost North there are things civilized man has not yet seen.

THe First one costs 10 Sesterces, the next three cost 50 Sesterces and the last one 100 Sesterces to travel there.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The dull echo of hammering iron nails into wood echoed across the sands as Regulus stood, puffed with pride as the final pieces of his Arena were taking shape. True, it wasn’t very impressive, even to Regulus’s own eyes, but it was his! While it was not the Capital, or even one of the major cities of the Heartland, his borrowing and cajoling was enough for a decent sized property in a backwater town like Delecta. Of course, he thought to himself, these people will be starved for entertainment, and soon the sesterces will begin to flow in!
   The foreman coughed for attention. Regulus turned with annoyance and saw his outstretched hand. With a sigh of annoyance, he pulled out his pouch and tossed it to the grubby man. The foreman nodded his thanks and walked away, counting the pieces as he did so. Regulus seethed. How dare he count it in front of me! Does he not think I am good for my money?! He tried to think of all the sesterces that he had spent, and almost fainted right there. I must open soon, he thought, something memorable to mark the opening of the finest (and only) arena in Delecta! He grinned to himself, I think i have an idea.

The Liberation of Delecta!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GM Questions: Just to clarify, I’m guessing that I pay the Luduii for providing the gladiators? And can I purchase animals and slaves as untrained fighters, or is that solely the Luduii? Also, if I wanted to double my seats, how much would that cost?

Regulus goes and spreads word of the coming event! He also looks to hire enough 3 staff ( at 2 sesterces per staff per event?) and purchases 2 standard slaves for 10 sesterces to assist the staff, and pass out drinks and such to the crowds. He also looks for a barrel of cheap wine, he now thinks, to sell at perhaps 1 sesterces per cup? (Barrel of wine costs, maybe 10 sesterces?)
Leaving, I believe, after paying for the gladiators and such, 26 sesterces.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll Start with the Northern provinces to begin with, it sounds safe enough, and who knows I might find someone different.
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@chubby2man: You have to negotiate with the Ludii for fighters, you can however hire untrained slaves and animals to put into a fight against the proper Ludum Gladiators.

Increasing the size of your arena to a wooden amphittheatre costs 100 Sesterces at the moment and increases the size of seats to 200.

As for staff, slaves and alcohol:

20 Sesterces for a Wine Stand, to sell wine at and 6 Sesterces this month for cheap wine. You will sell wine at random, and due to localized weather effects.
In other words if you sell it at 1 Sesterce per cup you will make between 1 and 100 Sesterces per match. So if you are really unlucky you might lose some cash but usually you make a profit..after that initial 20 investment into the stand and the 6 sesterces each month to buy cheap wine.

You do not need to buy extra slaves and random stuff however...unless you want to but for the wine stand you just pay the initial 20.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

What bracket would my starting slaves fit in?  (ie subpar,  standard, useless etc) I'd like to know how disposable they are

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:19:24 am by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks! Okay, yeah I'll just do the wine stand in that case. Are gladiators paid before or after?

Regulus sends out a message to the Luduii, asking for gladiators and slaves for the event. This is an opportunity to showcase your wares before the city and the world! Though we may be starting small, together we shall rise in both wealth and prestige! He awaits the first replies. The 8 sesterces is negotiable, but not by much, and you may be under bid. You may provide multiple gladiators/ and or slaves. I can also if wanted increase the numbers of combatants, but will keep the barbarians having more men to have some excitement.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Taricus you have been added.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile

So do we Luduii sell him out gladiators or do we rent them out?
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9