Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where do you count from for Deep metals?  (Read 2364 times)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Where do you count from for Deep metals?
« on: March 26, 2017, 08:44:06 pm »

Basically curious I have a deep metals only fortress in a world but I'm not sure where I should start my exploratory mining.   I mean I know the wiki says -17 to -61,  but do I count from the Highest point that has walkable tiles, or do I count from the lowest suface point with walk-able tiles?
I also kinda went somewhere that was a bit mountainous as you do so I have a low point that would be still be the surface and walk-able and a high point that would the surface and walk-able.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you count from for Deep metals?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:02:54 pm »

I tend to assume that all Deep Metals are below the level of the first set of caverns. It's not that accurate, but it's a good rule of thumb, give or take. I've currently got deep metals and a shallow metal in my site: The shallow metal is just below the surface, and unfortunately is yet again Galena (yawn), the deep metals are tetrahedrite and gold. The gold is in the walls of the caverns, the tetrahedrite about five levels below the lowest point in the caverns.

The tetrahedrite is better than nothing, but I do dream of the days when it was possible to find iron practically every embark. I haven't seen iron ore since the update back last year, despite 15 or more maps and lots of random embarks. No ones fault but my own, but it's rather depressing, as I used to be lucky enough to find it in every aquifer. Sigh.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 10:58:43 pm »

Playing with world generation parameters can lead to sites with better amounts of sedimentary stone.  Otherwise you just have to get lucky with a deep metal hematite pocket (igneous extrusive layer).

Boosting volcanism (for igneous) is a good way in worldgen, but it has limits because sedimentary layers want low-volcanism and low-drainage. 

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 05:34:52 am »

Well, I get iron quite a lot. It is thanks too use of geological luck and knowledge. For some reason, my selections near brooks and streams yield enough iron for me to make taverns in magnetite.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"