Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your first "winning" screen  (Read 2537 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Your first "winning" screen
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 02:40:57 pm »

I had a fort once that was doing pretty well until an invasion showed up.  My military was weak and there were far more enemies than I expected, enough to clog my cage trap corridor.  In a desperate move, I opened up the caverns where a particularly nasty forgotten beast, with deadly vapors, had been sealed off earlier.

The beast fought off the invaders and proceeded to make itself at home, killing the population one by one.  To make things worse, a second forgotten beast picked that moment to show up.  In no condition to fight either beast, let along both, I managed to use various baiting tactics to wall both monsters in what was once the bedroom area of the fort... which was no longer needed, since the entire population was dead, except for a lone mother and her child.  Then the mother died from the poison.

With both beasts locked in the bedrooms and no controllable members of the fort left, there was nothing left to do but watch the child wander about in the corpse-littered fort and hope that the next migrant wave showed up before something random killed her.

Then along came a snatcher...

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: Your first "winning" screen
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 04:40:15 pm »

I have some 'Game over in five Minutes Or Less' moments (due to undead yaks and harpies and flooding) but this fort was actually very successful. Until THEY came.

I was playing d40, and using a mod called Dig Dwarfier. It added orcs and dark elves as invaders.  No initial problems, I was ready for the orcs.

Except that my legendary axedorf lost friends and family and went berserk before I could wall him in.

He started slaughtering everyone in the fort. I managed to lock two badly injured dorfs--my mason and carpenter--away safely until the caravan showed. Or such was my plan

Dark elves attacked. Urist McBerserkypants kicked their asses, and then went wandering the halls of my fort like a hairier version of Jack Nicholson in The Shining. My carpenter and mason began the slow process of starving and thirsting. I didn't want to watch until the end--the caravan wasn't going to make it in time--so I abandoned.

Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: 1 [2]