Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33

Author Topic: Fire Emblem on Forums: Scum of the Empire (IC) - Chapter 2!  (Read 24840 times)

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem on Forums: Scum of the Empire (IC thread!)
« Reply #405 on: April 23, 2017, 01:08:39 pm »

: Blood magic may not exactly be "ancient", but one of your spells seems to be related to it. I want to know more about it, it may prove useful.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 23, 2017, 01:49:20 pm »

: "Related to- Ah!  You must mean Nosferatu."

: "My research group actually studied this extensively while I was still back at the Academy.  But I'm afraid appearances can be deceptive, in this case.  The principles behind that particular spell are entirely different, despite some superficial similarities."

: "Still, I'd be happy to discuss it, if you would like."

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 23, 2017, 02:17:24 pm »

: Later. I'm more interested in the blood magic.

: We've already faced it once and I want to know how to reverse its effects. Something I haven't been able to find out of my own because of the restriction on knowledge the Empire practiced. Edmund glanced at Porkins when he said this part.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 23, 2017, 02:47:52 pm »

: "Ah.  Reversing the effects?  Not blocking them?  Trickier."

: "Certain ailment-healing staves are capable of reversing some of the more common effects used on battlefields, of course. Those with the proper inscriptions, anyway, which I imagine most of the modern designs should possess, and which are easily applied to older staves provided one is familiar with the necessary incantations to activate them."

: "A very small number of the effects may even be resolved by mundane means.  For example, a tincture of eleutherococcus, properly massed and mixed in with the standard antitoxin kit, may be used to treat some forms of poisoning caused by certain types of blood magic."

: "But against some of the more powerful forms of blood magic, there is no known method of reversal as of yet, so far as I am aware."

: "Well, for a given definition of reversal, anyway."

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 23, 2017, 03:07:34 pm »

: Interesting. So the lower forms may affect the body on a relatively simple level, such that basic medicine is able to work. As far as I've seen, the magic Porkins suffered was akin to a high fever, do other forms affect bodily functions like that or is it just a particular effect of this one?

: As for blocking or reversing... Both are interesting, but if anyone tries to use that against me I want to see them waste their life away on something that is easily cured. How would you go on about blocking it?

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 23, 2017, 03:59:30 pm »

: "Well, that specific effect was particular to that one."

: "The spell literally set his blood to boiling, as it were.  Or at least, the spell is in theory capable of doing so."

: "Fortunately for the good Captain, it ended up being a bit weaker, and the effect lasted only for a short time.  A more capable mage might have killed him in a single casting."

: "That being said, other spells will notably alter, eliminate, or enhance--rarely a good thing, mind you, given how prone the body is to destroying itself when pushed beyond normal limits--bodily functions.  Just not in that precise manner."

William hummed a little, tapping the side of his chin.

: "As for blocking the spells, there are some means.  Countercharms are the simplest and likely the most reliable method, though larger wards incorporating them are possible."

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 23, 2017, 04:20:49 pm »

: Very interesting, but also very worrying. I'm familiar with the various ways the human body has to make you suffer even without any magic. I've seen grown men choke to death on food that had no ill effects on other people, bodies that turned on themselves for no apparent reason. All of them far beyond my healing capabilities.

: To have those types of maladies invoked on command on us is a worrying prospect. I doubt simple charms will be able to protect us unless we start working on it now.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #412 on: April 23, 2017, 06:17:14 pm »

Gawen listened quietly to the discussion between the mages, a concerned frown deepening as the discussion proceeded. This was worrying; she was beginning to see why the Empire had banned it, though it had cost them dearly. And none of the court mages knew anything of it beyond that it existed. . .
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 23, 2017, 06:23:38 pm »

: "Not fully, no."

: "Ah, what I wouldn't give to have my laboratory back!"

: "Still, one shouldn't complain.  Field research is wonderful, from time to time."

: "Even if I would have preferred studying ruins on Kuuradesh to having my own body used to kill me in one of the most painful and viscerally unpleasant manners possible."

: "The former just seemed a bit more relaxing."

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 23, 2017, 10:03:25 pm »

Alain listened to the Noblewoman's explanation, unable but to think all the while: If the dwarves had such a thing locked away in their own fortress, why the hell hadn't they just used it against the human invaders and turned the tide of the war right then and there? Hell, why even bother waiting until an invasion, why not have just used the mask from the very beginning before the humans had even arrived on the continent and they only had one front to worry about?
     He didn't bother voicing the question though, as the conversation between the priest and the scholar soon drew his attention away. Hearing them so engrossed in their discussion of the Blood Magicks still made his skin crawl at the thought, but at least they seemed to be more focused on undoing it's power rather than enhancing it. Perhaps he'd misjudged both of them then...

Regardless, there was something else that had peaked his curiosity. Where was that archer he had saved from the poor excuse of a Wizard earlier? Ah yes, there...

"So, burning down a coal mine and the workers in it with anima magic..." he began as he approached the sluggish archer "I have to say, friend... that either takes quite a bit of ruthless spite for someone inside, or was quite the inexperienced mistake...I'd been wondering just which you fall under for a while now, but from how whipped you were in the jail, you don't seem like just another killer."
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Aurorix

• Bay Watcher
  • Thief Boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 23, 2017, 11:13:40 pm »

Aaron was examining the bow he had been using before, intensely. His last shot from the battle stuck with him bitterly. How could he have missed that shot at the mage? Maybe the bow was messed up somewhere or maybe the arrow wasn't made properly. Either way he was furious he missed such a simple shot. While he was making sure the guards didn't give him a shoddy bow, he was also listening in on the explanation of the mask and why it's important. Yea sure, details, details, it really doesn't matter about the hows and whys of the past actions of both dwarves and humans. They must've had their reasons on both sides. All that is important is that mask can rally the army to defeat their foe correct, and more importantly gets him off death row. Though where he'll go after all this is beyond him at this point.

Then, surprisingly, the mage came up and spoke with him.

"So, burning down a coal mine and the workers in it with anima magic..." he began as he approached the sluggish archer "I have to say, friend... that either takes quite a bit of ruthless spite for someone inside, or was quite the inexperienced mistake...I'd been wondering just which you fall under for a while now, but from how whipped you were in the jail, you don't seem like just another killer."

"Let's just say, you'd be surprised of what someone can do given the right conditions and leave it at that." Aaron responded a bit on edge given the touchy nature of the topic at hand. "My question is, why are you so interested in the details of a man burning a coal mine and the people inside?"
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:47:23 pm by EXLink32 »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 23, 2017, 11:37:24 pm »

It seemed they were being given leave to rest; in other words, they were expecting a fight tomorrow. Good. Tonight she would indulge her curiosity, and she approached Adrien.

"You. Come vith me."

Wolf walked a short distance from the rest of the group and waited, arms crossed and watching the axeman.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Sutoratosu Akira

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAGONS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 23, 2017, 11:54:42 pm »

"Let's just say, you'd be surprised of what someone can do given the right conditions and leave it at that." Aaron responded a bit on edge given the touchy nature of the topic at hand. "My question is, why are you so interested in the details of a man burning a coal mine and the people inside?"

"A fair enough question, I suppose," the mage noted the edge all the while, hopefully the archer would get that checked in the future, be a damn shame if he cut himself with it, "in truth though, I don't really care about the what of the situation... compared to much of the how. porkings mentioned something about suspected arson via fire magic, but yet here you are with a bow instead of a tome. I can sense the potential in you though... look, there's no point in you trying to be so guarded about it; we're both in the same boat here, more or less. Two unauthorized magic users with alleged murder charges over their heads- not that I personally woke up that morning eager to kill someone, nor did I exactly revel in it as it was happening. And I don't think you did either, for that matter."
"Reality, unlike fiction, has no obligation to conform to what people find believable." -Chroniqler

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 24, 2017, 12:16:01 am »

Adrien merely flipped wolf's request off.
: "No, I think not."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 24, 2017, 12:21:12 am »

Wolf shrugged and continued to watch Adrien.

"Are you scared perhaps?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33