Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Archmage: The Blood of Magic  (Read 13732 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archmage: The Blood of Magic
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2017, 02:43:02 pm »

It might be easier if we lightly plan out next turn, too, so we can easily work into each other's plans.

I'll have a kid at the start of the turn, and want an equal trade of babysitting. I don't expect I'll want to learn any spells, or teach anything until I can train my offspring. I'll probably spend the next turn babysitting and creating a seal reading spell - Probably can't understand it yet, but I'd like to have records of it while it's still pretty new and undamaged.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2017, 02:57:45 pm »

My line up for the next 9 years looks good.

There seem to be 2 females, and 5 males. So that's going to make having heirs difficult (and confusing family trees). Archmage Lumier is looking for a formal marriage, and extends an offer to Archmage Galliene. Being a traditional type, this would mean exclusivity on the production of heirs. However, Lumier is fine with taking the majority of time necessary to raise the child(ren), as he is mostly going to focus on straightforward offensive magic as the hallmark of his house.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2017, 03:02:23 pm »

I'm sticking with my plan, which is:
try to make a theory of efficiency for three years,
Teach people how to make magic walls,
Spend any spare time building a fort around the seal's site.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2017, 03:03:14 pm »

Year 6: Recruit some soldiers.

The kingdom does have a small professional army of its own, so would you be attempting to acquire troops from there, or recruiting volunteers from the civilian population?

So how long would one of these walls last without anyone trying to get through it?
The spell increases the effective life of a wall by 50% if it's physical, or 25% if magical.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2017, 03:14:07 pm »

Year 6: Recruit some soldiers.

The kingdom does have a small professional army of its own, so would you be attempting to acquire troops from there, or recruiting volunteers from the civilian population?
Probably volunteers, or mercenaries, or what have you. I want some private troops that I can deploy without having to deal with the army. Not a lot. Maybe a hundred soldiers?
I just figure that whilst magic is all well and good, sometimes you just need some honest steel- if only to protect the magic users for long enough that they can cast.
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2017, 06:31:48 pm »

My line up for the next 9 years looks good.

There seem to be 2 females, and 5 males. So that's going to make having heirs difficult (and confusing family trees). Archmage Lumier is looking for a formal marriage, and extends an offer to Archmage Galliene. Being a traditional type, this would mean exclusivity on the production of heirs. However, Lumier is fine with taking the majority of time necessary to raise the child(ren), as he is mostly going to focus on straightforward offensive magic as the hallmark of his house.
Sara's reply comes in person, in the form of an outstretched middle finger; She doesn't have time for that.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2017, 06:36:28 pm »

Ha! Looks like I'll be a bachelor forever.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2017, 06:37:52 pm »

Or, you know, hook up with an NPC :P

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2017, 07:51:18 pm »

Excuse me, I meant to make spells quicker and more efficient while casting.
Just to clarify.
Not saying this isn't useful, it's just not useful to me in my current state of spell-learning.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:55:16 pm by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2017, 02:00:11 am »

Okay. A general theory to reduce casting time is going to be almost impossible to create, as part of the development process you would try to reduce the casting time as much as possible anyway. I can however offer you a few alternatives that may fit:

Artifact Channeling (5) - [Artifact][Meta Magic][Theory] By requiring use of your artifact as a catalyst, and increasing the casting time by one step, you may reduce the power requirement of a spell by one level.
Caster's Circle (3) - [Meta Magic][Ritual Cast] As long as the caster remains within the circle, and the circle remains unbroken, all spells up to power 5 have their casting time reduced by one step.
Preprepared Spells (6) [Meta Magic][Theory] By consuming an additional spell slot one level below, a spell can be prepared in advance, reducing the casting time by one step.

A note on theories that I think I forgot to mention. As it is not an actual spell, the power requirement is instead a measure of how complex a topic is, rather than a hard limit on who can cast it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:02:16 am by Kashyyk »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2017, 02:27:44 am »

Prepared spells is what I wanted to create, but since I can't do that in this timeframe I'll take ritual circle for now.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2017, 03:51:52 pm »

First Steps: Years 1 - 9

The noble families moved quickly to capitalise on the time they had. Almost all spent at least some of their time, serving the kingdom. Roads were built by mysterious beings of rock and earth, the monsters in the night seemed to be afraid and harvests were more bountiful than even the good weather would suggest.

This communal spirit was compounded on completion of Count Tridian and Lewis Lumiere's Fort Knot*. Guarding the seal, this imposing (if small), construction has plentiful space for the mages to live and complete their research, if the need arose. It was here that the first magical tuition took place, and it was quickly decided that the solid stone construction was well planned, when a miscast spell left a blackened stain on the fresh masonry.

Nine years after the birth of magic, Leotherm could announce news of his own. His wife had given birth to a daughter. The first to have the gift of magic, from birth. She suggests that the child be called Arrieta, but it is up to Leotherm to make the final decision.

---

Finally, the day the Seal spoke of arrived and with it, a messenger from the border towers to the East. The hill men, all barbarians and lunatics according to any of the courtiers you'd listen to, have once again got bored of goat farming and have started pillaging their way across the Kingdom in the general direction of the Capitol, and the Seal. The army is already being mobilized and are planning on meeting them in the low-country, approximately halfway to the border. The king tells any Archmage who feels they can contribute should march with the army and assist in the coming battle.

Each player must now choose. Do you heed the call? Staying at home guarantees your safety, but you may risk the stability of the Kingdom and the Seal. If you do choose to go, which spells do you put in your spell slots, and how will you assist the army?

---

New Mechanic Unlocked: Dynasty Resources - You are more than just magic users. You can own property, produce items and acquire servants during play
New Resource Unlocked: Wealth - Counting coins is beneath you. This represents your overall income after expenses. The higher the value, the more extravagant a lifestyle you can lead and the more powerful the assets you can maintain
New Resource Unlocked: Favour - A general measure of public approval, political contacts and personal debts to your family. Gained by assisting during crises and spent when appropriate
New Stat Unlocked: Might - A measure of your strength, endurance and skill at arms
Stat Renamed: Power to Mental
The Glossary has been updated

Spoiler: House Hatio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Harinus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Lucio (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Rennin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Galliene (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Lumier (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: House Tridian (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:22:18 pm by Kashyyk »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2017, 03:58:40 pm »

Far from being one to shirk from battle, Sara commits to being present at the battle. Rather than using spells, Sara merely ensures that she's had her fill of blood via the vampirism spell and joins the fray directly using skill at arms to assist in the battle.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2017, 04:08:28 pm »

(If we factor in our artifact as adding to our base power, which I have 6, that means I can have 10 three-cost spells, because I believe we can trade high level spell slots for weaker ones)

Leotherm had no growing anxiety and fear inside him, his younger years of cockiness and abruptness has been abstracted through the years of intimating as a laborer. He only had one goal to protect the Kingdom and his family's legacy no matter the costs. I slot in 9 Summon Earth Elementals, all of the medium sized variety, and 1 Spirit Wall and shall help lead the flanks of the army utilizing my elementals to take the heat of the swarm and a casting of a Spirit Wall if combat is getting dicey. I'll be behind the elementals, equipped with a light spear and a buckler as well as equipped in the standard infantry leather armor.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:45:25 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2017, 04:09:44 pm »

Lewis, unable to resist the call to battle, chooses to commit himself to the war. Using his wide sweeping laser spell, he serves to cut down the enemy directly with his magic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12