Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Andromeda: New Frontier (OOC)  (Read 1491 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Andromeda: New Frontier (OOC)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 04:37:05 pm »

Probably too late

But, since I only see it in the fringe scifis I really like:

Could we have it so spaceships 'teliport' instead of move really fast? I actually find it a lot more realistic and then you don't have the whole thing where everybody's old and dead by the time you arrive because of time dilation.

Also you would only have access to known places, otherwise you risking teleporting into a star something.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 06:06:20 pm »

Probably too late

But, since I only see it in the fringe scifis I really like:

Could we have it so spaceships 'teliport' instead of move really fast? I actually find it a lot more realistic and then you don't have the whole thing where everybody's old and dead by the time you arrive because of time dilation.

Also you would only have access to known places, otherwise you risking teleporting into a star something.

Hmm...

Maybe you could get a teleportation module as an upgrade...

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 06:52:50 pm »

The problem with teleportation is that it is really awkward from an interaction perspective. Time dilation is easy enough to just pretend doesn't exist and is only an issue if you are moving conventionally, at which point everyone on board is also ancient by the time you arrive anywhere interesting. Mostly though it is the issue that teleportation starts at the point of being able to drop a bomb inside the king's head. You need to come up with a whole mess of limits on it, at which point it will probably look exactly like every other form of motion.

* RAM builds a wall
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 06:55:14 pm »

Never mind on the teleportation module idea.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 07:34:58 pm »

* RAM kills joy.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 08:31:26 pm »

Yup, I only suggested it because it is flavor.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 09:52:42 pm »

Wouldn't the speed in hyper space dilute us so we do not age. Just others nearby like reaching a destabtiin depending of travel time?

As some time travel stories is basically localized warp drive backwards and forwards on planet scale.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 02:46:13 am »

Don't know, but I believe I heard the crew on the ISS have a 3 second per year difference making them technically younger than people born the same time.

And that's just from orbiting the Earth above our heads.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 02:48:00 am »

Don't know, but I believe I heard the crew on the ISS have a 3 second per year difference making them technically younger than people born the same time.

And that's just from orbiting the Earth above our heads.
Well, yeah, but only to about the same extent that we are younger than the earth's core because we are on the surface...
Also it was born first...
Read the First Post!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 11:11:57 am »

Well, yeah, but only to about the same extent that we are younger than the earth's core because we are on the surface...
Also it was born first...

:P

Meanwhile dampening fields can protect king's heads.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:14:23 am by roseheart »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2017, 03:07:25 pm »

Yeah, but you don't have so much infrastructure in space, so space battles tend to look like electron clouds...
Read the First Post!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2017, 03:13:39 pm »

That's pretty weak. The ships are structures! Who's to say how the field looks or how much it requires to emit.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2017, 05:44:51 pm »

Well you are still not going to want to enter it no matter how large it is. If you can emit a no-teleport field in a sphere then you ought to be able to emit a no-life field in a wedge to the same distance. Assuming that laser-weapons are a thing one doubts that anyone much is willing to get closer than a couple of light-seconds, enough that you might, maybe, be gone before the imminent lasery demise shows up for tea and crumpets. That is a pretty small distance for a tight little laser but for a whole sphere of teleport denial it is huge. So people are still going to stay outside of the teleport denial and pop around like Schrodingers confetti. Unless, of course, it takes a similar level of hullabaloo to go from Star A to Star B as it does to move the few dozen kilometres it takes to be nowhere near where you just were.

Ehhh, it is not completely unworkable, but I don't really see how to make it fun, feel free to try though!
Read the First Post!

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 06:48:19 pm »

I feel your points are in support of status que, if teliporting was the popular mode. Maybe you'd be pointing all the possible weaknesses of warping.

But I feel there is a middle ground. Wormholes.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 06:50:41 pm »

There is another means of fast travel within the A:NF (Andromeda: New Frontier) universe.

Here it is for those who want to know.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3