Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Valhalla-Bound (Pathfinder) (4/5) - OOC Thread  (Read 18727 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Valhalla-Bound (Pathfinder) (5/5) - OOC Thread
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2017, 12:30:37 pm »

Not yet.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 02, 2017, 03:32:15 pm »

Right! Sorry for the delay. I'll try to be more punctual in the future. :v

By the way, I'd just like to state that my characterization of Halfiron as a principled raider who tries to minimize the death toll of his attacks is not nearly supposed to be representative of all the raiders in the game world, nor for any in the real world, for that matter. I certainly do not deny that atrocities were committed by real-life viking raiders, and I intend for this aspect to be represented in this game at a later point; however, I thought that having your characters initially working with a character whose morality is more in line with modern ideas of what is right (insofar as a viking raider can be "right" and "moral") would be better than having them serve under a completely unrepentant murderer/rapist/what-have-you, as well as better introduce the idea that raids are thought of by the Mungarðers more as a challenge for wealth and honor than a slaughter-slash-robbery, regardless of what actually happens.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 02, 2017, 06:37:19 pm »

On another topic, I figured I ought to bring up how I want to handle battle maps. This has always been an issue for me. I used to rigorously go for ASCII art, with liberal usage of Code Page 437, but I've realized that pure ASCII's inability to properly handle things less than a block thick makes that a major issue.

I also used to try for stuff put together in an image editing program, but that tended to A) look awful and B) be excessively difficult to work with.

I played in a couple of games where the GM used screenshots of a spreadsheet, and although that worked quite well and seemed relatively easy, I always found the super-flattened appearance of the maps offputting.

So what I'm thinking of is making an ASCII grid, like so:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's kinda messy to work with, but the ability to represent things on the lines makes it a much more aesthetically pleasing and gameplay-facilitating choice. Example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thoughts? I think it looks better and handles the game better than the alternatives.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 02, 2017, 06:47:37 pm »

Color tags would be a necessity, I think. Some distinction between PCs would probably be required.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2017, 07:15:46 pm »

I'm a huge fan of using Google Sheets as battlemaps. If you resize the cells into squares, you get a grid of squares. You can color the cells, write in them (with colored text), make comments and notes, and use borders as convenient wall and elevation definitions. And, to top it off, there's no fumbling with screenshots, and it can changed on the fly and shared quickly.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 03, 2017, 10:22:19 am »

I'm a huge fan of using Google Sheets as battlemaps. If you resize the cells into squares, you get a grid of squares. You can color the cells, write in them (with colored text), make comments and notes, and use borders as convenient wall and elevation definitions. And, to top it off, there's no fumbling with screenshots, and it can changed on the fly and shared quickly.
Provided it doesn't cause my browser to have a seizure, that could work.

For some sheets I used on that, it ended up crashing my browser 9/10 times
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 03, 2017, 02:53:52 pm »

Ooh, I like that. Probably a lot better than tooling around in ASCII for most purposes, especially non-monospaced ASCII.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 03, 2017, 07:30:04 pm »

That's perfect, assuming it works for highmax. Thanks!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 03, 2017, 07:54:15 pm »

Tell me if this crashes for you.
I get an error message about not being able to load fonts, but other than that it works fine.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2017, 08:32:48 am »

Would it be possiible to get in on this as a backup if someone drops out?

If so I would be designing a beserker
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 18, 2017, 04:35:56 pm »

Alright, I've put this off far too long. Hope that the spreadsheet is working for everyone. (Don't worry that there's five of them, their stats are garbage. CR is kinda weird at low levels.)

Spelled "pew" correctly this time!

By the way, what symbols or letters would you guys like to be used to represent your characters on the battlefield? I could just keep using the abbreviations, but I think that symbols and letters are much snappier.

wolfchild: I'll waitlist you, then.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2017, 04:41:42 pm »

If there's some sort of hammer symbol, I'd take that.

Otherwise I'll just stick with initials.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2017, 04:50:18 pm »

I'm assuming you mean the Mjölnir symbol, but perhaps I could interest you in [⚒], or [🔨], if you can see it? (The latter, if you can't, is a unicode character of a single hammer. It doesn't show up on the forum for me, but as far as I can tell, it shows up on Google Sheets.)

You could also go for ☭ but that seems more like a Vostoch kind of thing to me :P

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2017, 04:51:26 pm »

So in planing the backup character, I wanted to sue a greathammer, but there don't exist any, can I take the -2 penalty and just use a large warhammer?
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18