Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Author Topic: Valhalla-Bound (Pathfinder) (4/5) - OOC Thread  (Read 18751 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Valhalla-Bound (Pathfinder) (0/4)
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2017, 11:22:07 pm »

I think I'm gonna go with an Occultist.
I'm not familiar enough with the occult classes to be comfortable DMing a game with them. Sorry.
From what I can tell, they're just bard-like spellcasters (specifically, a vancian spontaneous caster with up to 6th level spells) with a dash of Incarnum-esque stuff mixed in. The Reliquarian archetype even makes their spellcasting Divine, so you won't have to learn the mechanics of Psychic spells.

What is it in particular that you don't understand about them? The Occultist's mechanics seem to be entirely contained to its page (except for spell and archetype descriptions and such), which can be found here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/occult-adventures/occult-classes/occultist/
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2017, 12:51:07 am »

It's not that I don't understand as much as it's that I've had past bad experiences of people using weird classes from obscure splatbooks that I wasn't very familiar with, resulting in crappy gameplay due to me not knowing how to build an encounter factoring the class in.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2017, 01:01:22 am »

It's not that I don't understand as much as it's that I've had past bad experiences of people using weird classes from obscure splatbooks that I wasn't very familiar with, resulting in crappy gameplay due to me not knowing how to build an encounter factoring the class in.
Mm. I could ask for your approval before selecting spells as spells known and such, if you'd like.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2017, 06:01:47 pm »

Mm. I could ask for your approval before selecting spells as spells known and such, if you'd like.
He gave his answer twice. Its the same deal with Kineticist in this case.

Also, how would an occultist fit in lore of the world? Not trying to sound rude, I want to see how an occultist would fit into nordic lore (and it could give me ideas on me own games :P )
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2017, 06:14:53 pm »

More specifically, I'd rather not open the can of worms that is Mental Focus. The class's powers themselves don't appear to be as crazy as the Kineticist, but from what I can tell Mental Focus is a bit much for me in terms of esoteric numbers to juggle in a combat situation.

The lore doesn't seem to conflict quite as much, though--I think that the idea of drawing power from ancient items is actually quite fitting.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2017, 07:40:32 pm »

More specifically, I'd rather not open the can of worms that is Mental Focus. The class's powers themselves don't appear to be as crazy as the Kineticist, but from what I can tell Mental Focus is a bit much for me in terms of esoteric numbers to juggle in a combat situation.

The lore doesn't seem to conflict quite as much, though--I think that the idea of drawing power from ancient items is actually quite fitting.
Mental Focus... Wait, is there two types of Occultists? Because I swear occultists call on spirits of monsters for stupidly overpowered abilities like free nat 20's every 5 turns or so as many times equal to their cha modifier...

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2017, 09:25:07 pm »

Mental Focus... Wait, is there two types of Occultists? Because I swear occultists call on spirits of monsters for stupidly overpowered abilities like free nat 20's every 5 turns or so as many times equal to their cha modifier...
Nah, those are Mediums, IIRC.

Mental Focus can only be divvied up at the beginning of the day (bar a few exceptions), but yeah, if you don't want an Occultist as a PC, I'll go look for something else.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2017, 04:13:27 am »

Any updates, SenBow? ATHATH?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2017, 11:03:30 am »

please guys

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2017, 11:41:49 am »

I thought we were at four submissions now?

Guess not.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2017, 11:55:05 am »

I thought we were at four submissions now?

Guess not.
I thought so too...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2017, 12:08:54 pm »

No, only three (discounting the two guys who posted on the first page and disappeared.)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2017, 12:54:15 pm »

Wait, am I one of those two guys? Lemme throw something together, I'll get back to you (in like two days or so).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:12:18 pm by Harry Baldman »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2017, 03:16:23 pm »

Wait, am I one of those two guys? Lemme throw something together, I'll get back to you (in like two days or so).
Nah, you're one of the ~five people who have showed serious interest in joining but have yet to submit anything. There's two guys on the front page who hacked together sheets with pretty notable mistakes and then never posted here again.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2017, 04:47:14 pm »

I'm... working on it, but I haven't really had the time to sit down, think up a new character concept, and build it yet.

I'm thinking about making a (not-!@#$ish) Paladin; would Tawa be willing to ignore the stupidity that is the Paladin code?

EDIT: Hm... I noticed that Witches and Druids aren't among the classes that are banned in the OP; I might want to go with one of them.

What do you guys think? Should I go with a retired Paladin (that occasionally recounts old stories about his "glory days" in Paladin order X) that is going on one (or multiple, if he survives the first one) last adventure before his time is up, a Witch that often engages in conversation with his familiar (who would nag him about sending more souls to his patron or somesuch), or a Druid that exploits nature and views it as a tool instead of revering it?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:50:22 pm by ATHATH »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18