Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Valhalla-Bound (Pathfinder) (4/5) - OOC Thread  (Read 18716 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Valhalla-Bound (Pathfinder) (0/4)
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 08:16:44 am »

No, I was just bumping it (via old meme) to make sure people were still interested.

In hindsight I can see how that could be misinterpreted :v
Well, I'm still interested. Just struggling to make equipment and feat choices :x
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 11:07:25 am »

Dumb question, but I feel I should ask: will this be played on the forum?
Yes, play-by-post.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2017, 01:42:21 am »

By the way, I removed the houserule on swords. It was part of a rather stupid personal comedy of errors regarding "longsword" (historically, the term referred to what is commonly called a bastard sword today) being used in the rules where "arming sword" would have been far more appropriate. (In setting terms, I'd place the "Viking sword" at "longsword" length, while "shortswords" are closer to the "seax".)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2017, 02:30:58 am »

o no
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 09:42:27 pm »

So, what do you guys need help with?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 10:32:45 pm »

Right now I don't actually need much help with anything except a backstory. The rest of the time I'm devoting to my sheet is finishing the inventory then bloating the "notes" part with exact descriptions of every single ability I have so I actually remember what I can do without needing to constantly look it up in the SRD, and then adding a backstory. :P
Black lives matter.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 08:11:30 pm »

I'm hopping in on this if you will have me.

I'm at work, but I have several Nordic themed characters at home.

I have two different kinds of Rangers (Two weapon and bow), a cavalier, a rogue, a cleric, a Druid and a sorcerer (I also have a gunslinger and a Kineticist, but they're probably not lore friendly, and they're not interesting characters)

I'll let you know what one I pick when I get home and get a chance to read everything
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 08:18:08 pm »

Actually, Kineticists are allowed as per the Character Creation spoiler, so you're good on that front.
Black lives matter.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 08:20:43 pm »

Wait what.

Back when Tawa first mentioned this game, I PM'd him about kineticists and got denied. If that's changed, I'm scrapping this inquisitor on the spot.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 08:22:28 pm »

I mean...
7. Alchemists, Arcanists, Summoners, Monks, Magi, Gunslingers, Samurai, Ninjas, Wizards, and Investigators are off the table for setting and balance reasons.
Kineticists aren't mentioned anywhere, but obviously if you asked Tawa directly I would go with what they said.
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2017, 08:42:24 pm »

I kind of figured that stuff (classes, weapons, armor, etc.) from highly specific supplements like Occult Adventures or the exotic equipment from Ultimate Equipment was implied to be off the table unless specifically brought up :v

That is to say, no Kineticists. I'd be more accepting of them in a more high-magic campaign, but A) psionics are out of place in terms of the loose metaphysics I wrote up and B) the Kineticist is a blatant blaster class whose party role is specifically blowing up stuff with psychic power, while this is a game that encourages more subdued forms of magic. I can't really think of a way to downplay someone shooting lasers as being weird medieval witchery.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2017, 08:47:42 pm »

Maybe... remove the shooting lasers part? :P
Black lives matter.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2017, 08:53:47 pm »

Kineticists are OP, so if those are banned for balancing reasons, then kineticists are a massive red flag for banning.

128 consistent damage at level 11 is broken... Especially when it targets touch and melts resistance
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 08:58:58 pm »

Well, we're only going to level 6 anyway. :P

We're using E6 (P6? I've seen it written as both) rules which, if you aren't familiar, means instead of levelling, we gain a new feat every XP threshold. There are also Epic, Signature, and Something Else I Forgot feats for each class that give you some of the special abilities of said class from a higher level. It's pretty cool.
Black lives matter.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 09:04:02 pm »

Maybe... remove the shooting lasers part? :P
The thing is the entire point of the kineticist is to shoot lasers and whatnot

I mean, with other magical classes, you have other things to do during combat, like use debilitating spells (which I can generally write as weird medieval witchery--Grease? The enemy keeps tripping or slipping and falling for no apparent reason. Color Spray? You give them the evil eye and suddenly they have a seizure,) or attack with your backup projectile weapon to preserve spell slots, so the magic isn't that blatant (and a Magic Missile or Flaming Hands here and there is within the realms of willing suspension of disbelief as far as I'm concerned)--depending on your build, you might forsake offensive spells entirely. The kineticist has no reason to own a backup weapon and has a much more limited selection of utility spells, and most of their tricks are about making their kinetic blasts better, meaning that they're about firing off very visible psychic energy 24/7.

So, yeah, mostly setting reasons. Like you said, OP-ness probably won't be an issue (the same reason why classes like Witches, Clerics, and Druids are still allowed, since balance tends to only become a problem at higher levels unless you go out of your way to break the game early on)--it's the fact that a low-magic setting doesn't mesh well with a class based around attacks that read like Pokémon moves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18