Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: Valhalla-Bound (Pathfinder) (4/5) - OOC Thread  (Read 18711 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Valhalla-Bound (Pathfinder) (5/5) - OOC Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2017, 08:31:29 pm »

This is the way I've always done PBP. We're all busy people, and when I get the chance to post, I'm going do so. The way I see it, best case scenario: it saves me and the DM time down the road. Worst case scenario: we're back to square one, and there's no difference.
If something changes on the battlefield, I'll eat my words and change my action. (ie: the knight dies (Which, honestly seems a bit unlikely. ~14+ AC, ~8+ HP, vs. first level PCs is nearly a miniboss.), or the cover disappears (Also unlikely), or is taken by someone else (The most likely. If you're going to move there, that's fine, I'll go to the other side of the aisle. I'm just trying to setup a melee attack in the third turn of combat.))

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2017, 08:49:31 pm »

I feel like I've run into this problem before, but I don't remember where.

Anyway, I'm cool with either method. If you want to post your actions and have me auto-resolve them if no problems show up, that's fine. If you'd rather wait until your turn to give your actions, that's alright too.

(Slightly unrelated, but the knight isn't the NPC gallery knight or anything. He's objectively worse than the foot soldier in the Game Mastery Guide, primarily by virtue of worse equipment, and is mostly there to spice up what would otherwise be a fight against a bunch of commoners.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2017, 08:59:25 pm »

I always had it post in order. I actually get really anal about it when I DM, and I've given a player an earful when he kept doing it and kept ignoring the fact that his situation changed and we'd wait for him to post (only to have him PM me when was I gonna post)

I personally prefer the wait, because situations do change.

Like chances are, I'm gonna probably flatten this guy by bank dropping on him with a shield
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2017, 09:18:05 pm »

Bear with me for a moment, I messed up the damage roll.

E: That's more like it. First ten feet are nonlethal if you jump on purpose but fail the Acrobatics check.

Anyway, I hacked together some nifty HP bars that indicate where you are in the wound threshold system (green = healthy, yellow = grazed, orange = wounded, red = critical.) I'll be using that system to indicate how healthy NPCs are, as well.

E2: I just realized the damage roll against the monk ought to be halved, but if that happens the monk still dies, so I don't care.

E3: I also just realized that the rules say that a falling object takes the same amount of damage it deals, but since there's also special rules for people falling, I'm assuming that the more specific rules for people falling trump the general rules for objects falling.

E4: Now that I think about it, it's really weird that the rulebook is effectively silent on the topic of jumping/falling based attacks. As far as I've seen, fights where people jump off cliffs onto monsters/their enemies are, like, everywhere in fantasy. Could you imagine the horror of, say, trying to jump off a cliff and hold on to a dragon? In a real session you'd need like three different rulebooks open at the same time and spend half an hour arguing over rule interpretations alone.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:43:07 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 19, 2017, 03:24:25 pm »

FATALITY

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 19, 2017, 03:53:04 pm »

Well, I suppose I have to eat my words now.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 20, 2017, 10:09:05 am »

The whole thing on jumping onto enemies is weird.

I had a half-iron elemental fighter who weighed 400lbs with gear and could fly, but despite being a walking mass of iron, the DM refused to let me body slam people for damage despite going 30ft into the air and dropping on them, even if they were size large or bigger.

I do tend to do a lot of stuff like that. I still thought that my shield would've softened my landing or broken it on impact if it did so much damage...

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 20, 2017, 11:11:43 pm »

I think I used "ready action" correctly there, but I'm not 100% sure, because the rules didn't specify this specific case. Feel free to let me know if I screwed up.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:41:00 pm by Tawa »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 21, 2017, 03:36:23 am »

For clarification, Njall's songs do not praise the gods of Mungard and aren't what you'd describe as traditional or historical, if the death growl wasn't enough indication.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 21, 2017, 11:06:25 am »

I will fix that shortly. I wasn't certain exactly what sort of musical stylings he produced and went for something generic :v

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 21, 2017, 03:41:53 pm »

I will fix that shortly. I wasn't certain exactly what sort of musical stylings he produced and went for something generic :v

On a good day, a lot like an a capella version of 90s In Flames, or even Skálmöld if you want to be particularly setting-appropriate. On a bad day (well, from a strictly human perspective), like an a capella version of Sunn O)))

EDIT: Actually a purely Sunn O)))-based character would be great to put in a game too. How's that for music of the spheres?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:52:35 pm by Harry Baldman »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2017, 11:08:02 pm »

It seems that the dice want their revenge for that crit.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 22, 2017, 11:19:30 pm »

fuggin heck
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 24, 2017, 05:59:13 pm »

I'm used to 4e and 5e, so bear with me on this.

Do throwing axes use strength or dex to hit? I'm used to there being "light" and "heavy" thrown weapons

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 24, 2017, 06:03:11 pm »

I think ranged weapons are Dex by default, right?
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18