Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adding attack types to weapons  (Read 1494 times)

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding attack types to weapons
« on: March 23, 2017, 09:57:28 am »

Specifically, I want to add a spike/stab attack to warhammers (like historical warhammers).  I know how to edit the raws to add this type of attack to warhammers.  I just copied the data from stab attack on daggers and pasted it under warhammer, while keeping the velocity and attack/recovery values the same.

My issue is that "edge" attacks are favored over "blunt" attacks at 100:1.  This means if I add an edge attack to warhammers, the dwarves will basically never use the blunt attack. Is there a way to edit or work around this?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Adding attack types to weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 11:07:15 am »

Yes! You can replace the blunt attack with an edged attack with 0 penetration depth. The only added quirk is that hits from the hammer-end that pulp bodyparts end up giving combat log descriptions like '... is torn apart', beside that it will behave exactly like a blunt attack.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 11:30:20 am »

Yes! You can replace the blunt attack with an edged attack with 0 penetration depth. The only added quirk is that hits from the hammer-end that pulp bodyparts end up giving combat log descriptions like '... is torn apart', beside that it will behave exactly like a blunt attack.

That's a cool workaround...not exactly what I was hoping for though.  :)  I like the "flavor" of crushing and pulping in the combat logs.

Is there no way to change the preference for using edged attacks?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:34:11 pm by g2knee »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 12:19:31 pm »

You could make the spike blunt, but hit like a whip. That would crack bone and possibly make it seem like it's edged.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 12:36:30 pm »

You could make the spike blunt, but hit like a whip. That would crack bone and possibly make it seem like it's edged.

Another good option, thank you.

It sounds like the preference for edged attacks may be hard coded.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:46:51 pm »

It is, sadly enough. One of many examples where more than one behaviour gets attached to a single tag, which kind of cripples modding for this game at times.

Edit: Although the combat text is frankly also kind of broken, even blunt damage from edged weapons (like when they fail to pierce armor but still break bones) gets edged flavor text.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:49:38 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 06:49:25 pm »

Wait... holy shit, 0 depth penetration edged attacks do that?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 01:12:54 am »

Yes, really helped me along with making my mod. Edged attacks that run out of penetration depth will just use their remaining momentum for blunt damage, and after 0 penetration no actual momentum seems to be lost.

You can also add very small numbers of penetration, like 10, to have 'blunt' EDGE attacks damage armor or a bit more to simulate things like morningstars and hammer with prongs instead of a flat head.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 06:33:06 pm »

Well goddamn man... just... goddamn.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 08:00:12 pm »

It also has a neat little balancing factor in that blunt force needs penetration depth to wreck innards with bone shards. A low-penetration mace will cut the meat, break the bone and cause some bruising to the organs beneath, but a only a proper high-penetration hammer will crush the flesh and push the bone right through the sensitive bits.

It was way more important three years ago when pulping wasn't exactly a thing yet, but it retains utility.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 09:23:00 pm »

Heh I figured it was semi-common knowledge.

Also, I have found penetration depth of blunt attack to not really do anything much. The organs splashing effect the vanilla warhammer seems to have is almost certainly because it has a tiny surface with a huge amount of momentum.
The 0-depth  attacks seem to have no trouble shattering ribs and damaging organs. Lots of force on a small area goes through tissue more easily, while large area attacks have an easier time pulping limbs (eventually being able to do a one-shot head splatter. Very satisfying!)

Not really sure why the vanilla attacks still have depth values on the blunt weapons, legacy holdover maybe?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 02:40:09 am »

No, it hurts (and with the current system, breaks) them alright, but you need depth to weaponize the rigid layers. It's the difference between a caved skull and a lethal concussion.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 04:45:05 am »

I wonder if you added 100 different copies of the blunt attack and then one edge attack, would that work?

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 11:24:26 am »

I wonder if you added 100 different copies of the blunt attack and then one edge attack, would that work?

I believe it would, but the resulting weapon would be borderline unusable in adventure mode, since the player would have to deal with all those identical attacks clogging up their combat menu.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 03:12:52 pm »

Gods I don't even want to know what insanity would lead you to ask that, Roses.
Pages: [1] 2