Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Order of the White Branch: Honourable Beginnings (IC Thread)  (Read 13846 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Order of the White Branch: Honourable Beginnings (IC Thread)
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2017, 09:19:46 am »

Alfrieda took in the two men who had joined them. She knew the scarred man was a True Knight, one of the Queens loyal followers, who had left the Kingdom to find her rather than serve a false and evil ruler-men and women spoke of him with respect.

The bearded one was more of a mystery. Can't learn everything from scullery girls and pot boys, after all.

"I-I'm from Steelstone. It's a decent sized mining town, out in the countryside. Lots of... well, iron 'n steel. I'm an herbalist though, not a miner. I... I can't just sit 'round and wait for the country ta get fixed, ya know? I've got ta do something about it if I can.

O-Oh, am I uh... jumpy? I think it's because of who's in the place, here. I-I'm just some country girl, and there's a bunch'a important people around. There's probably more power in this room than I ever saw back home, not even counting the Queen. M-Makes me a bit nervous is all."
As Lillian talks, the accent slips back into her voice as she stops focusing on talking "normally".
The large man says, offering his thick and heavily calloused hand to the young woman to shake. "I know little of the magics that have sundered this place, but I suspect that our job to fix it will be vast, so I suppose we will likely be working together for quite some time. At any rate, I think you should not feel too much in the way of nervousness, as after all, no matter what your station was before, we are all members of this order together now."

Alfrieda shook the mans hand in turn, taking off her chain-metal glove to do so. Her hand, while much slimmer, bore callouses as well, though they thicker at the tips of her fingers, than her palms. A placement one usually associated with archers.

Noting the poor young woman was like to die of shock in the next few moments, she tried to soften her next words, though this generally meant she just tried to talk slower, rolling her 'R's more sonorously.

"Indeed. I was younger than you, Lilian, when I first set out in the world, wandering. And no more than a country girl myself, daughter of a hunter and a seamstress. I chose my station, and made myself the woman you see before you, clad in steel and old sorrows..."

It had been quite a life, to be sure. All because of the chaos of the Tyrant. Without his madness, Alfrieda might never have become a Knight. It worried her, and often brought back an old memory.

Her father had sometimes remarked (on his rare binges of drink) that Life was a deep, dark pit filled with mud and shit. And at the bottom of it, was the vast majority of people who lived and died there. The Nobles were above your heads, and they had strong men clad in iron to kick you back down, if you tried to climb out...but occasionally a powerful storm blew in from the sky, sent by the Gods. The pit filled with water, and the people drowned, fighting one another for a breath of air. Sometimes the storm was so powerful it even swept the Nobles down, and their strong iron men as well. He said that in these times of chaos, that if one could but tread water for a little while, they might be able to climb out of the pit on the piled corpses underneath them.

She had only paused for a second, but finished promptly.

"You must decide who you wish to be. If you will bear the storm alongside us, or drown, or choose to climb."

"He's wrong."

The battered-looking knight stands up from where he'd been seated, near one edge of the hall, and walks toward the group.

"You should be nervous. If you're just a country girl, as you say, then you had damn well be worried about what might come your way. All manner of creatures could dwell in the mists, and if you're not prepared, you'll be naught more than a corpse before you have time to realize what happened."

"Aye, Good Sir Arvaine speaks the cold truth, if misplaced. There is much danger ahead...but we will face it together, lowborne and higborne and those born nowhere at all...our order is like a collection of loose threads. Some are like silk, quite tough and flexible, but vulnerable to rot-once ruined or stained, hard to repair. Others are like a fiber, comfortable to look at, dependable for the day to day, and able to be patched-but rips easy when damaged, and offers little protection. Others are like leather cord, strong, but inelegant and inflexible, and prone to wear and tear over time. And yet a coat formed of a mix of those, is stronger than any coat made of a single type of thread-each one covers the weaknesses of the others, to make a stronger whole.

...I mean to say, you need not be nervous in our presence."
She finished, slightly embarrassed that she had slipped into extended metaphor, probably brought on by unconscious association at the mention of her mother.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:24:32 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2017, 11:45:41 am »

Deidre doesn't seem surprised that the rumours have reached even him. After all, that was all she was really known for; even the village had only cottoned on after she'd explained everything.

Still, the ominous remarks Judas just made are enough to make Deidre slowly sidle away from him, clearly uncomfortable.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2017, 12:00:01 pm »

Seeing groups starting to form Owen approaches those speaking with Lillian.

"I hope I'm not intruding, but I thought I should introduce myself. I'm Owen. Of Unson.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 03:50:20 pm by Sudurandom »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2017, 12:07:13 pm »

Judas frowns. He pinches the bridge of his nose.
"I'm doing it again aren't I?"

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2017, 02:39:57 pm »

Deidre doesn't respond as she tries to approach the other group.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2017, 02:50:02 pm »

"If you're going to leave it's typically polite to say goodbye."

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2017, 03:03:17 pm »

Alice let out a deep sigh as she watched the rest of the group trundle about, her eyes focused on the smallest group. She guessed she should at least get know her new companions, she headed over to the smaller group smiling as she did so.
"Hello. I'm Alice, it's good to meet you" her voice maintained it's sing song quality.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 03:10:23 pm by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2017, 03:05:26 pm »

The hooded one raises a hand in greeting.
"Judas. Pleased to meet you."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2017, 03:09:45 pm »

Deidre is secretly thankful for the distraction, as she's able to take her leave of the group.
"My name is.....Deidre. It's also nice to meet you..."
She continues trying to avoid Judas; mostly because the last time someone had assumed she was in fact a witch who spoke with demons, she ended up nearly burning to death.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2017, 03:15:38 pm »

Seeing a group forming Owen approaches. "I hope I'm not intruding, but I thought I should introduce myself. I'm Owen. Of Unson.

To Owens credit, Alfrieda had never heard of him at all.

"Yes, it's a time for introductions...feel free to speak, friend, we're all comrades in arms now."

Deidre doesn't respond as she tries to approach the other group.

She noticed Deidre approaching them, and the hooded apparently fuming.

"...Was that man bothering you? You seem discomforted." She said, her spare mailed fist clenching. As the hooded man approached, however, she scooted away. Drats.

Alfrieda had pity for those who had been forced into the Tyrants service, or even those who had followed their oaths until the bitter end-but, from what she had this man as a spy or assassin or saboteur-who had turned his coat only when it was clear his cause was lost. He had served the Tyrant, when serving was easy. She did not how much of this was true or not, but you could not help but hear the angry mutterings...he even seemed vaguely familiar to her. Alfrieda had fought against the forces of the Tyrant for most of her life in her quest, it wasn't impossible they had met, or even fought before. Then again, he had many men who preferred hoods, to hide their identities.

Still, the Queen had seen to fit to grant him a pardon. She understood it was the best of choice of bad decisions. Exile would lead to banditry. Execution would lead to the path the tyrant had chosen to walk-once he had decided to kill all those who might be his enemies, he had never stopped. Forgiveness, however, allowed a chance of redemption...and kept them close, until their true nature was revealed. At least until he proved disloyal, she intended to honor that choice.

The hooded one raises a hand in greeting.
"Judas. Pleased to meet you."

Alfrieda gave what only could be called an iron glare at the hooded man. She slowly and deliberately replaced her other mail glove, and crossed her arms.

"Likewise.

Please do not harass another member of the Order. She clearly does not wish to speak to you. I, on the other hand, am very much interested. Rumors rattle along behind you like a tin-can on a dogs tail...rumors of past indecency, now gracefully forgiven.

Might you tell us something of your name, your past and purpose? Is it true you served the Tyrant? Also, you seem familiar to me. Did we ever have occasion to meet before?"
She said, blunt as ever, wondering if she had ever tried to cave in his hood with her warhammer.

She thought it was important to get all this aired out where everyone could hear...indecency be damned, they were all going to be fighting shoulder to shoulder soon enough.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2017, 03:25:01 pm »

Lillian takes a deep breath. "...I realize that it's dangerous. If I didn't think I could handle it, I wouldn't have signed up.

I-I'll try to be a bit less nervous around you all."
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2017, 03:50:41 pm »

Judas gives a small bow to the noblewoman.
"I apologize for any worry I caused, I had assumed that her history was common knowledge. I am Judas, previously a commoner here in this city. It is true I served the tyrant, as a spy. It t'was the best course of action to my thinking. But as I spent more and more time serving under the queen my reports got less and less.... accurate. When the time came to be more active in my service... I presented my blade to the queen and bade her to do with a traitor like me as she wished. And as for your last question... I do believe we have met, I brought you a drink while you were talking to some commander or other."
Judas smiles happily at her.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2017, 04:13:41 pm »

Lillian takes a deep breath. "...I realize that it's dangerous. If I didn't think I could handle it, I wouldn't have signed up.

I-I'll try to be a bit less nervous around you all."

Alfrieda had done something she usually didn't do, and placed her unarmored hand on Lillians shoulder for support.

"Just remember that the Queen saw fit to accept you. That is all you, or anyone should need, to know that you belong. You're as worthy as any of us. Act worthy of your station, and you will be treated accordingly."

Judas gives a small bow to the noblewoman.
"I apologize for any worry I caused, I had assumed that her history was common knowledge. I am Judas, previously a commoner here in this city. It is true I served the tyrant, as a spy. It t'was the best course of action to my thinking. But as I spent more and more time serving under the queen my reports got less and less.... accurate. When the time came to be more active in my service... I presented my blade to the queen and bade her to do with a traitor like me as she wished. And as for your last question... I do believe we have met, I brought you a drink while you were talking to some commander or other."
Judas smiles happily at her.

"You've no doubt a habit of not being seen." She said, gruffly. "I suppose it's fortunate, choosing the winning side twice over. Does it ever trouble you? Some of us chose a harder path, the right path. What took you so long to find your conscience?"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:15:13 pm by Dwarmin »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2017, 05:06:38 pm »

"Troubled? I suppose not exactly. I expect to burn in hell when I die for my treachery but I figure God may have the time to forgive me if I spend my life making up for it, if he isn’t busy forgiving nobles and priests and the like."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2017, 05:56:57 pm »

Arvaine scoffs.

"Misplaced? There is no such thing as the wrong place for the truth. The girl should be nervous. I apologize for doing my best to keep her alive.

You aren't incorrect, though. I will fight as I have done before, I simply worry for the safety and competence of those at my back. As well as if it's going to have a knife placed in it."
He turns his steely gaze toward Judas. "The Queen spared you, and I place my faith in her, so for now, you have my word that I will defend you as any other. I pray you will not give me reason to renege on this promise."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16