Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Total Creature Replacement  (Read 821 times)

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
Total Creature Replacement
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:49:49 pm »

So im kinda wanting to create my own creatures for this world, and would like to know, if anything, do I absolutely need in the world so it functions right. All the times everything else is safe, though I cleared the Entity folder, and the languages folders.

I will also take creature ideas, and stuff, but stuff, but I don't want anything that we would see on Earth. I want to make a different kind of earth.

For creature ideas

For technical stuff

All creature ideas I use will be credited, and this mod will be released and updated constantly once 50 creatures are reached.
To the beer!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Total Creature Replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 12:08:25 pm »

So im kinda wanting to create my own creatures for this world, and would like to know, if anything, do I absolutely need in the world so it functions right.

That depends on whether or not you want night creatures in the world.
If you look at the raws for vampires, you can see that there are a number of requirements before the game lets any NPC or player become a vampire. The same goes for werecreatures and necromancers. You might want to make sure that new sapients fit the bill.
Other than that, I'm pretty sure that nothing else is gonna be a problem, though I could be wrong.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:34:07 pm »

Well werebeast will just infect the main civilization that i add, and it wouldn't be much of a difference, and if I really wanted to I could take out the werebeast interaction.
To the beer!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 07:55:27 am »

I have been thinking about replacing the default animal list for my Furry Fortress mod.  Here are a few things I've been thinking about. 

- Generic Animals with Biome Adjectives.  So instead of leopards, cougars, tigers, there's one animal called a "panther".  Instead of chimp, gorilla, gibbon, there's just an "ape".  And so on for other groups of animals.  Then, each of these base templates is combined with a biome, so you have say, snow panther, swamp panther, sand panther, mountain panther, savanna panther, glacier ape, marsh ape, desert ape, highland ape, lowland ape, etc.  You could also have a few fantasy versions, like the gabbro man and plump helmet man could become gabbro panther, mushroom ape.  Can apply to any of the following ideas as well. 

- Cenozoic above ground, Mesozoic underground.  The world is filled with various extinct animals, mammoths, saber cats, woolly rhinos, terror birds, terratorns, land crocs, etc, and the caverns are filled with dinosaurs. 

- Mythology & Cryptids.  Fill the world with mythical creatures and cryptids.  Wyverns, kongamatos, sphinxes, chupacabras, etc. 

- Pretend you're Pokemon.  Combine real world animals (or extinct or mythical) with elemental powers, forces of nature, etc.  Rocktopus, Thundhawk, Blazebra, whatever.  Probably should be based on things you can actually do in DF, breath attacks, stats, body materials, etc. 

- Stitch Creatures.  Take the Owlbear idea and run with it, combine any two creatures into one creature.  Bunnywolf, squidgorilla, ducktoise, tarantulelaphant, etc.  One thought was that these are actually a combination of templates and modifiers, so for example, the X-bear base template could be a large omnivorous creature with claws, the owl-X modifier is a bird beak, nocturnal vision.  So you could end up with owlbear, owlwolf, owlgorilla, owltoise, owlelephant, bunnybear, squidbear, duckbear, tarantulabear, and so on.  In sorta the same vein, you could combine creatures with other mythical things, like an ogrebear, dracobear, merbear, beartaur, etc. 

- Borrow.  Just borrow creatures (or ideas) from a series like Final Fantasy or Dungeons and Dragons.  It's easy to find great big lists of these online.  Besides those guys, Edgar Rice Burroughs made extensive lists of creatures for his imaginary worlds, and is sort of public domain by now.  Here's a list from Barsoom.  MagiNation was a cool cardgame that bankrupted itself, but this website keeps lists of all their cards and creatures.  I liked Duel Masters creatures, though they can be a bit snarky (if you are new to Duel Masters, stick with the earlier sets, they get progressively crazier as they go). 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 08:44:02 am »

Aw man, Duel Masters. Good times.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:12:12 pm »

Thanks for the ideas. I will see what I can do.
To the beer!

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 10:13:19 pm »

Mind if I help out? If not...

In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 10:58:26 pm »

nematodes...
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 11:08:59 pm »

nematodes...

YES THEY ARE IMPORTANT TOTALLY NOT WORMS NO NO NOPE NOT WORMS NO NOOO WAY NOT WORMS VERY DIFFERENT NOTICE THEY ARE A PERIOD NOT A SAUIQQLY LINE THING HAHA NOPE TOTALLY INDUBITABLY NOT WORMS
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.