Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When 64-bit Dwarf Fortress comes out  (Read 3961 times)

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
Re: When 64-bit Dwarf Fortress comes out
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 06:15:02 pm »

Making a 10000 year pocket world is simple as it always was, running a 65x65 or larger would be where you'd hit ram related issues on a 32 bit df.

Trying to generate a 'smaller' world with 15000 year history, it has crashed twice already. Pocket world generated ok.
Is this 32-bit or 64-bit?
And is crashing due to max ram usage?
Because even with 64-bit, ram is still finite due to hardware limitations.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2017, 09:30:39 pm »

Just got a pocket world to 15001 and finally ended it, though I had it set so it could reach 100000 if it didn't crash first. Weirdly enough after about year 11000 or so it looks like it went from around 160 years/min in the late 7000's to a pretty consistent 240 years/min right up until I stopped it.

Takes like three minutes for the coin information to be loaded if you do one of these, so don't assume it's frozen on that screen, but try to avoid opening legends and viewing the events sections, this world had like 980,000 events in it's age of legends and while it may have opened eventually I didn't feel like waiting. Only got up to 1.2 GB of ram use near the very very end so there's lots of room, I will try one later with lower pop cap so it speeds into the post-10k years faster. This one has like 26k goblins and roughly 1000 other races left alive.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 09:04:50 am »

Yes, but most OSes will start swapping (or resorting to other techniques) before killing DF when they run out of physical memory for DF to use. That applies to both 32-bit and 64-bit programs, by the way - it's just that 64-bit programs can use a lot more memory, regardless of whether that memory is physical memory or not. (Of course, swapping is a lot slower, but it shouldn't crash.)

It's more likely that the crash there is a DF bug. Worldgen can be unstable sometimes and crash nowhere near a memory limit.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2017, 07:59:50 pm »

It's more likely that the crash there is a DF bug. Worldgen can be unstable sometimes and crash nowhere near a memory limit.

I found a way to [probably] continue long worldgen if df crashes, but I've sort of lost a key for my server, will try again with "small" world later.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 05:36:02 am »

Did a pocket world with low enough initial pops that after a few retries I managed to get it where it stuck at like 299 histfigs (with unimportant culling turned on) and it hit year 100000 surprisingly quickly.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 07:08:24 am »

Yes, but most OSes will start swapping (or resorting to other techniques) before killing DF when they run out of physical memory for DF to use. That applies to both 32-bit and 64-bit programs, by the way - it's just that 64-bit programs can use a lot more memory, regardless of whether that memory is phyoptisical memory or not. (Of course, swapping is a lot slower, but it shouldn't crash.)

At least on Linux, you have the the option of enabling Zram swap. This is basically taking the swapped memory page, putting it behind a device driver's memory allocation, and compressing the ever loving shit out of it with zlib.  DF's memory data compresses VERY well, so if you have lots of physical RAM installed, and can feel comfortable doing so, you can set Zram swap up with a very large reported swap file size. (more than 1/2 the installed ram size).  Instead of swapping out to slow disk, it will swap out to these compressed pages which take up considerably less ram than they otherwise would. They are significantly faster than swapping out to disk, but still slower than normal uncompressed ram pages.  One can get significantly more mileage without touching actual swapspace with DF this way.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 03:35:04 pm »

At least on Linux, you have the the option of enabling Zram swap.

Interesting idea, thanks. As I understand, there's also "zswap" which requires less configuration.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 01:58:02 am »

Did a pocket world with low enough initial pops that after a few retries I managed to get it where it stuck at like 299 histfigs (with unimportant culling turned on) and it hit year 100000 surprisingly quickly.
Mind uploading it?
Or at least describing a bit more.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 06:04:36 am »

Eh, it's still an in-progress mod I'm working on, but it's pretty boring after I tracked down the last few megabeasts/lair-residents.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 01:18:49 pm »

Fiddling with the world-gen more and doing several start/quite cycles until I saw one with the right features before pausing to dfhack it (gui/gm-editor df.global.world.worldgen > forgot what the bottom option was named > down to end year/beast end year > set to 1111111 just to see if it would actually work) and sit back to let it run through this super boring ass history with nothing but a few zombie giant tigers and shit roaming around:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Naturally doing this with a big world full of histfigs and wars with lots of events will take MUCH MUCH MUCH longer, but hey, it's technically possible.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 02:56:16 pm »

(gui/gm-editor df.global.world.worldgen > forgot what the bottom option was named > down to end year/beast end year > set to 1111111 just to see if it would actually work)

um.. you can just set any end year you want in world_gen.txt

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 07:21:00 pm »

Thought it cuts it down to 10000 by default, but either way it was going so fast at the end that when I decided to push to 1.1 million it was easier to just set it to stop at 1111111 on the dot instead of 1105937 or whatever.
Pages: 1 [2]