Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Albion Online Sandbox MMO RELEASED 7-17-17 - Anyone playing it?  (Read 9670 times)

ChristianWeiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm amazed at how much people are spending on this game. I know a lot of people who have bought multiple $100 legendary accounts. Others who have bought lots and lots of gold packs.  Like people who have spent over $2000 on the game. Given how much people are spending on the premium currency, it will probably remain pretty cheap to buy premium for a long while. Unless people end up hoarding a bunch of it for some reason, which is possible.

I play pokeland legends/fantasy myst and I'm also amazed at how many people spend thousand of dollars on these games, where do they get the money to waste that much? I spent $300 on Star Citizen, and that caused me many regrets from time to time. I can't imagine even spending thousand of dollars on a game, especially when its paytowin.

Started Albion with a friend for the player driven economy and pvp, but it just wasn't our cup of tea, it is too mobile platform oriented imo. Though we only played for a few hours. I really miss ultima online though, I don't understand why there isn't more games like ultima online being made. Rust have shops now, so that at least bings some resemblance of an consensual economy into 100% open pvp game.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.

The legendary launch was a little rough, but by the time I got in (this morning, epic) everything was smooth and working flawlessly. All in all I would say it was a pretty good launch, despite a few issues with the legendary launch (some of which people are really upset about).

I'm playing as Cian if anyone wants to team up. I joined a guild called Till Valhalla which seems like a decent group of folks. Skilled up to T4 and have been fighting and skinning in the black zone to avoid the crowds. The game is hugely populated right now and the vet packs haven't even been let in yet. When I logged in at 8am they must have had 50 people in the starting zone with me, and I believe they are instanced - it said I was in forest landing #2. The major biome cities are all more populated than I ever saw them in beta, and Caerleon is even more populated than that.

They definitely have a big player base. If they can keep even half of them they'll be really successful.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Albion Online Sandbox MMO RELEASED 7-17-17 - Anyone playing it?
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2017, 10:29:00 am »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2017, 05:06:52 pm »

Haha, at least it's a queue instead of downed servers though.

Queue seems to move a lot faster than they say it did. I was over an hour wait estimate this morning and I got in within 15 minutes. About 5 minutes ago I was number 6000something on the queue (just started logging in) and I'm already down below 4000. Not sure if people are giving up or if it's just processing logins way faster than it says it will. I played for an hour or so this morning and other than the 15 minute wait to get in everything was smooth.

-edit- Was a 25 minute wait this time. Not too bad. Nowhere near the estimated 2 hours.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:28:14 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2017, 09:34:11 pm »

The queue I referenced earlier, I waited in it for an hour, then the servers went down. About ten minutes later I was back in queue, only 15 minutes this time before I got in game, 2 minutes later the servers are down again.
A couple hours later I tried again and was able to get in fairly quickly and play several hours without further technical issues...though the swarms of people camping literally every single resource and enemy node in every zone made it a bit difficult to accomplish anything.
Still, far from the worst MMO launch I've been through.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2017, 10:51:04 am »

After spending most of my first day fighting other people for scraps of wood on newly spawned nodes, I finally decided to try something else. I found a map online showing the number and type of nodes in each zone, and located the green zone with the most wood. After a short boat ride I was amazed to find myself in a forest with more wood than I could harvest. Wish I had done a little exploring sooner.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2017, 12:34:03 am »

Guess I got lucky, I was working during the time the server was having issues lol. By the time I got home it was smooth as silk, just a 25 minute wait to log in.

Yeah the biomes make a huge diff - trying to gather the 3rd resource in a biome sucks because it has hardly any nodes.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2017, 12:55:48 am »

Wish I had done a little exploring sooner.
Don't forget that banks and markets are city-dependent, so you'll have to do multiple journeys to take the wood to another city if your island is based in another city or if you want to settle somewhere else (because if there is so much wood there, there may not be as much of the other resources).

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2017, 06:05:22 pm »

The different biomes and resource availability is actually pretty cool, it makes caravans a thing. Every city has resources that are easy to get and cheap. Bridgewatch (steppe) is hide, Fort Sterling (mountain) is metal, Lymhurst (forest) is wood, Thetford (swamp) is fiber, and Martlock (highland) is stone.

Then Caerleon is generally pretty evenly priced on all the resources since it's at the center and has access to every biome via the black zone portal, but there T2 and T3 resources are expensive since it's so far from the low level zones that they spawn in. But from what I've seen it's cheaper on the higher level resources. Oxen are cheaper in Caerleon too lol, I believe it's because PKs are killing caravans coming in and nobody really wants to ride an ox out of Caerleon.

So you have caravans running from Caerleon to the outer cities with high tier resources and caravans coming in with T2-3 resources. My last trip from Thetford to Caerleon I ran across a group of 6 people riding oxen and 2 people on horses watching their backs. Then folks run between the biome cities too bringing resources from high to low availability - one guy was telling me that he made over a million silver just riding resources between the biome cities on his ox and skirting the blue (safe) zones on the edge of the map. Zero risk, can be pretty profitable, but kind of boring - and doesn't net you any fame to level up with. Biome cities to Caerleon is high risk and higher reward.

Just make sure to check the markets (you can travel freely naked) to make sure people haven't flooded the markets of a city before doing something like that. The other day I think a bunch of people ran metal from Fort Sterling into Caerleon because the T2 metal market got flooded. It dipped from 40s per ore down to 10s per ore. I think it was only 5s in Fort Sterling though so the folks running it in still make a profit.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2017, 04:54:00 am »

Well, I bought a Founders Pack ages ago, and figured now would be a good time to sit down and play the game for realsies since it's released. Turns out that as of TODAY there's a new bug that makes it impossible to create a new character, any character created causes an infinite black loading screen and it uses up the name but they don't show up on your character list.

FML

All the meta-game around trading sounds super cool too, like a fantasy EVE online.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2017, 07:54:41 am »

Wow that's a bad bug, btw to all you bay12 people.  I am currently in a guild called the Spartans, based out of lymhurst with t4-5 crafting buildings free to use and only a 10% guild tax (to pay to upgrade said buildings.)  If you want to join me and the other 40-ish spartans pm me on here.  We use discord for voice comms but it's not nessicary if you want to just use the ingame guild chat!  If any of you are in a small guild as well that would maybe want to consider an alliance I can set you up with contact to my guild leader. 

Hope everyones having fun, I sure am!  Any reservations previous to launch have kinda melted away for me, even when there is a que to log in hah
Nom nom nom

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2017, 10:19:24 am »

I'm already with Til Valhalla. We have a guild island in Caerleon and a basic t4 island in thetford for folks before they move to Caer.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:03:00 am by Paul »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2017, 06:29:52 am »

*pokes Kilakan*

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2017, 03:16:32 pm »

I'm amazed at how popular the game is. I went around during prime time just to see player counts in places. In Caerleon alone there was over 2000 people divided between the 3 zones. Fort sterling was pretty bad with close to 1500 people. All total the 5 outer main cities had around another 5000 or so more people. I didn't even check starter zone cities. And all the people out in dungeons and harvesting and folks in black zone and in expeditions and private islands. Probably something like 10k people JUST inside the cities chilling out crafting and dueling and trading and such. And it was even worse on the weekend.

Pretty good numbers for a full loot pvp sandbox game. I hope they figure something out performance-wise soon though, having a 20 minute queue to get in during prime hours isn't ideal. And a few times now the auction house in a city has stopped working because like 700+ people were trying to use it at once.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 03:20:16 pm by Paul »

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2017, 03:53:00 pm »

Just finished two black zone hellgates. I can almost wear a full tier 6 set.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5