Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18

Author Topic: Roll to Morrowind (6/4) - Balmora: Is that the Main Quest calling?  (Read 36624 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Morrowind (6/4) - Seyda Neen
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2017, 11:39:18 pm »

((Closed helmets. They can't wear closed helmets. In in-game terms, they can wear it if it takes the "hair" slot but not the "head" slot. Coif is fine.))
((Also, are you getting the saber?))

((Yes, Sorry. Sabre is best low-level long blade))
((Where is this info @.@ I'll just flail along without metagaming knowledge (~'u')~ In other words: This is the perfect game where I'm going in blind \o/
I'll get in a post later; will edit this post rather :D))

((OH MY GOODNESS DRAIGNEAN. THAT IS RICH.))

Tyri wondered if she had any other choice to buy these things later. . .and decided against it as this was particularly, or possibly, her only stop before she went along that package trip. Although that was the impression anyway--she had no idea what to do as coin probably drove the world here like back where she lived; she couldn't do anything if she only had a fancy set of armor and nothing towards her needs otherwise. And probably it'd still be there given the lack of other people of her...people.

Buy that armor in full; inquire and haggle about getting the bow and arrows for a task needed to be done perhaps (preferably in the direction I'm generally headed).

Tyri wondered if it was a good idea to speak to the other people--especially that other person her Bosmer buddy mentioned, but was somehow forgetful of quite the needed social essentials at the moment. She moved up to her Bosmer buddy and inquired about the place. "Do you know anyone who sells maps of some sort? Also anywhere I can procure accessories or items for taking care of equipment?"

Explain that I'm an independent woman who don't need no man in the field, with a bit of my past as a hunter, and ask where I could buy some equipment for repairing on the field and all.
Probably make it loud enough for the Altmer or anyone else interested to hear (Arrille)

((Somehow I had a horrible idea to pickpocket his ring >_> Whyyyy))

[Assuming I get concrete directions]
"-...so I'd like to know where the nearest stables are too--horses and all, and if the terrain permits. What dangers will I face that way?"
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:42:39 am by Tiruin »

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2017, 10:28:27 am »

"Taahni would like to know, what is the quickest way to get to Balmora?"

Inquire. Buy wet-weather gear and camping supplies

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2017, 11:32:47 am »

(Woops, thought we were waiting for 1 more. I'll get right on that update)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2017, 02:44:40 am »

(Apologies for delay. I had to do some math for this update, and amdist that I was interrupted by the necessities of the weekend.)
(I should probably note that this Vvardenfell is not quite the ingame version.)

"I could get more selling this to a scamp in Caldera! Daylight robbery!" Eetz objected happily, giving the limeware platter a kiss before handing it to the Altmer and extending his hand for the promised money.

Check to see if he has lockpicks. If he does, buy a couple. Go upstairs, sneak into his room, and check under his bed and pillow for goodies.

[5] He does have a couple, at a very reasonable price. Admittedly they're not very good, looking like they were prison-carved from wood, but you can work with that. You get two for 2 drakes. He hands them over without much comment on your antics, merely chewing his lip bemusedly.

You find three rooms upstairs. There's the bar, served by a dunmer woman and with a handful of people hanging around, mostly some hardened or shady types, from the look of them, but also a sailor or two from the ship you just arrived from. Plus that rather loud Imperial fellow whispering with an armored Nord about something. Then there's a common room, filled with cheap beds and hammocks, presumably for rent. Finally, there's a locked door: the proprietor's room, you figure. [6] It's a moderately well-locked door, but the tradehouse isn't very crowded at this hour, so no one takes notice. You silently open the door and back into the room, then turn around to find a shaven-headed Nord lying on the bed. "Hail, friend. Are you with the Guild?"

Constantine purchases the items at their stated prices. He seems to look wistfully at the damaged Legion shield for a long moment after taking it.

"Pleasure doing business with you, sir. Would you mind directing me to "Balmora"?

If he tells me where it is, step out and begin walking the path to Balmora. A brisk outdoor walk will do me good after prison.

"Well, it's about two days journey on the roads Northward. If she's around, Elone the scout could probably give you a more exact distance. Pelagaid's a nice place to stopover in between, being about halfway there, but that's on the other side of the foothills, so you'd have a long trek through the swamps for most of today. Fortunately the roads are pretty well marked. It'd be a good deal quicker to take a Silt Strider, or maybe hitch a boat ride up to Hla Oad and walk the rest, but you'd need a bit of coin for that."

[3] However daunting this may seem with no supplies to speak of, as a former marcher in the Emperor's legions you're used to a long haul. Even if you decide not to set out quite yet, it may be a good idea to check the local area beforehand. Indeed, there's a handy signpost after the footbridge leading out of town pointing the way. After following the muddy road towards Balmora for about a mile, though, you spot something odd: a couple of swamp-skeevers fighting over a strangely new-looking shoe.

Marcius doesn't even need to think about this very hard. 20 septims for a promise? That's a sale if ever he's known one.

Get the sword and the clothes all together for 50 septims, I'm about ready to take to the road!

But first, check around town to see if any other opportunities spring up. Listen to local rumors. Hit people up for some Morrowind lore. Perhaps even find out a little secret!

Arrille smiles as he hands you the sword, complete with a modest scabbard. "Remember: for everyone you send my way, I'll make it worth your while."

[6] The locals are full of all kinds of talk! Aside from that very shady offer from that Hrisskar fellow, you find a sad-looking man in the same bar by the name of Vodunius. He says he'd like to help new arrivals out, and tells you that Davarme Hleran, one of the strider-drivers that runs the route through here, is a good friend of his and will offer a discount if you give her his name, and that she should be at the strider-port until noon. "Let me tell you, it's a lot faster and a lot safer than going on foot."

Asking the people about town, going about their business, you hear other things. It seems the local Dunmer religious authorities are cracking down on something called the "Nerevarine Prophecies," there's mutterings in the inland cities about the Legion not doing enough about abolitionists (how quaint that these dark elves still practice slavery), and that there's suspected to be a gang of smugglers who've recently set up shop somewhere near town recently, as there's all kinds of places to hide in the bayou. It also seems the local taxman hasn't been seen in a few days, and you overhear plenty of sardonic jokes about his fate. Just before punting off into the estuary on his old boat, a Dunmer fisherman offers to tell you a little secret: "You should go back to Cyrodil as soon as you get a chance, friend. Real soon, Vvardenfell will be no place for foreigners."

Down at the docks, you drop in on a conversation between a Khajiit and a Redguard. It seems that there's some big trouble brewing between the Thieve's Guild and a local crime syndicate known as the Comona Tong. Particularly as there's been talk of high-paying jobs and connections for smugglers of any color recently, a sudden spike in demand. Apparently it's real tempting for sailors of all walks of life. Due to that (among other things), Census and Excise is hiring for a number of positions, as well as offering odd-jobs to freelancers.

"Ooh, I'll take it! Thank you, thank you!"

Purchase mortar and pestle. Begin searching for alchemical ingredients, starting at the edges of town and working my way further into the totally-not-dangerous swamp.

[6] There's all kinds of stuff here! While different from your native Black Marsh, there's just as much ecological diversity as you'd expect. From your initial taste-test, you find some potential combinations: the immature pods of these glowing blue pond-flowers, as well as the flesh of a glowing purple mushroom, both have the taste that suggests induction of water-walking (very useful in this terrain). A glowing cyan toadstool and a small centipede both taste like waterbreathing: not personally useful to you, but probably valuable to softskin travelers here. You're well-versed in the properties of slaughterfish and mudcrabs, which seem as prevalent here as in anywhere else that touches the sea. And of course of the ubiquitous skeevers. You spot what look like undersized crocodiles with very long and narrow snouts lurking in some of the ponds: if they're anything like those of your homeland, they might have some useful frost or shock related properties.

There's two kinds of shelf fungi around, and a large fern with prominent spore pods, all of which taste like they might make useful poisons if you could find something to match them with. All in all, you amass a respectable pile of plant samples and tiny creatures, the useful properties of most of which you are so far unable to identify, but that's what experimentation is far!

Tyri wondered if she had any other choice to buy these things later. . .and decided against it as this was particularly, or possibly, her only stop before she went along that package trip. Although that was the impression anyway--she had no idea what to do as coin probably drove the world here like back where she lived; she couldn't do anything if she only had a fancy set of armor and nothing towards her needs otherwise. And probably it'd still be there given the lack of other people of her...people.

Buy that armor in full; inquire and haggle about getting the bow and arrows for a task needed to be done perhaps (preferably in the direction I'm generally headed).

Tyri wondered if it was a good idea to speak to the other people--especially that other person her Bosmer buddy mentioned, but was somehow forgetful of quite the needed social essentials at the moment. She moved up to her Bosmer buddy and inquired about the place. "Do you know anyone who sells maps of some sort? Also anywhere I can procure accessories or items for taking care of equipment?"

Explain that I'm an independent woman who don't need no man in the field, with a bit of my past as a hunter, and ask where I could buy some equipment for repairing on the field and all.
Probably make it loud enough for the Altmer or anyone else interested to hear (Arrille)

((Somehow I had a horrible idea to pickpocket his ring >_> Whyyyy))

[Assuming I get concrete directions]
"-...so I'd like to know where the nearest stables are too--horses and all, and if the terrain permits. What dangers will I face that way?"
[1] "You know, ma'am, I'm already giving you a discount here. Frankly, it's a bit rude to ask for more."

[3] Fargoth says you should look for Elone, the Redguard scout. She usually hangs out upstairs at the bar, when she's in town. "If anyone knows the local area, it's her. She could probably tell you how to keep up your equipment out there, too." Which might be good, as you're out of cash to get extra tools for now.

When you ask about horses, Arrille chuckles. "Oh, the Dunmer don't use horses for anything except eating. But they do have alternatives. Mostly you'll see guar, which are these big two-legged reptiles with fat round heads. They're about the size of mules, and about as strong, too. Some ride them, but most just use them as pack animals and walk besides them. They've got very broad backs, see, so it can be hard to saddle them in the way most Westerners are used to. The other one you'll see are Silt Striders: huge, long-legged flea-looking beasts. They can carry a lot of weight, both people and cargo, over long distances and at a good speed. Probably the fastest way to get around here, aside from the Mage's Guild."

When you ask about dangers on the road, he adds "Well, you'd be best off asking Elone about that. There's criminals and animals to worry about, but you should be mostly fine as long as you stick to the roads. The Legion patrols the paths between here, Pelagaid, and Ebonheart fairly often. But the safest way would be to take a boat or a strider. Quicker, too. You'd need some more coin, though."

"Taahni would like to know, what is the quickest way to get to Balmora?"

Inquire. Buy wet-weather gear and camping supplies

"Take a Silt Strider. Cross the bridge over the creek, take the path up to the big rock that looks over the town: that's where they board the big bugs. You'll get there by nightfall. Second quickest way, tag along on a boat to Hla Oad, then walk the rest of the way. You might still get there by nightfall. Might even get lucky and find someone to boat you up the Odai River straight to Balmora. Other than that, just take the roads to the North and follow the signs. That's a two-day walk for most folk though, so you might want to spend the night in Pelagaid."

[4] You get the travel and camping gear for the very reasonable price of 40 septims, leaving you with 20 remaining. As you sit next to her, you overhear the conversations of the Bosmer lady.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2017, 03:21:57 am »

[Stuff for Rautherdir]
[4] You get the travel and camping gear for the very reasonable price of 40 septims, leaving you with 20 remaining. As you sit next to her, you overhear the conversations of the Bosmer lady.
((I like how this means he heard everything that happened to me :P And WOW that trader is kind, a [1] and I am lucky to not have been something worse :D))
(I should probably note that this Vvardenfell is not quite the ingame version.)
((I feel quite well with this. :P))

"My apologies sir; this was a tradition we had back before I came here," Tyri said as she bowed slightly. "I did not intend to be rude and offend my hosts."

All that said, she buys the whole Dunmeri armor! With chitin! (inquiring if she could get some wraps for her hands as unarmed combat will then be expected, or climbing...)

Hearing about the Guar and Silt-striders, she based their relative sizes off a horse's one--a 'mule' size was great, but the silt-strider was an unknown. She bet it would be quite the sight to see anyway, and something new to mount like a horse!

"Thank you so much, Fargoth--your help has been very valuable. Is there anything I can help you with by the way? I wouldn't have gone far without your help."
Question for Fargoth!
And then get to that Redguard! Greet and meet; inquire all I can about my goals! Unless Fargoth needs anything that takes all that time first.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:34:09 am by Tiruin »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2017, 07:25:42 am »

Take a walk outside of town, see what I can find. Any sign of the smugglers, perhaps? Or something else of particular note? Don't range too far, mind you. Just far enough to get back before nightfall.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2017, 10:06:27 am »

Watch the skeevers for a bit, then continue towards Balmora.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:11:22 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2017, 12:21:32 pm »

"Thank you for the supplies. Tyrian, you wanted to go to Balmora? I will be heading that way myself, if you would like to join me."

Head out and across the bridge and find the Silt Strider.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2017, 01:32:14 pm »

"Verily! I am agent of very good guild, the best guild. I am here to recover the Eye of Argonia so that we might bring destruction to our foes, call the demiurge of the Hist into being, and remove bedbugs from tavern mattresses."

Eetz cocked his head sideways. "I am Sneezes-At-Orphans, are you too a member of the good guild?"

INTERACT.

((DAMN YOU HARRY, I WANTED THAT TAX COLLECTOR.))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2017, 02:29:11 pm »

"HaHA! And they said wandering out into the swamp alone to stuff strange things in your mouth was a BAD idea!"

Recklessly experiment with brewing up potions! Assuming I get any, take them to Arrille to get them appraised.

((DAMN YOU HARRY, I WANTED THAT TAX COLLECTOR.))
((One's insane, the other's dead! Can these unlikely partners solve the mystery of why the guards are chasing them?))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2017, 05:52:46 pm »

"Thank you for the supplies. Tyrian, you wanted to go to Balmora? I will be heading that way myself, if you would like to join me."

"Oh hello there, I don't think we've met! Nice to see another friendly face," the forgetful Tyri replied. "I'd love to do that, I'll just ask for a bit more direction--in new lands and all."

Thank you nice Khajiit person!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2017, 03:57:14 pm »

(As people start to leave Seyda Neen, I may pause others for a turn or two while people finish up the first day's worth of actions. Shouldn't take too long though)

"My apologies sir; this was a tradition we had back before I came here," Tyri said as she bowed slightly. "I did not intend to be rude and offend my hosts."

All that said, she buys the whole Dunmeri armor! With chitin! (inquiring if she could get some wraps for her hands as unarmed combat will then be expected, or climbing...)

Hearing about the Guar and Silt-striders, she based their relative sizes off a horse's one--a 'mule' size was great, but the silt-strider was an unknown. She bet it would be quite the sight to see anyway, and something new to mount like a horse!

"Thank you so much, Fargoth--your help has been very valuable. Is there anything I can help you with by the way? I wouldn't have gone far without your help."
Question for Fargoth!
And then get to that Redguard! Greet and meet; inquire all I can about my goals! Unless Fargoth needs anything that takes all that time first.

[3] Arrille isn't inclined to give you anything else without coin, but Fargoth offers to get some from his house. "It's on the way to the strider port, anyhow..."

As to your question, Fargoth says "Well, um, if you've got to get to Balmora... come back and see me sometime, maybe? That'd be nice. And you too Ms. Taahni! You really helped me out."

[3] Before you leave the tradehouse, though, you go upstairs to check for the Redguard woman. She's wearing a leather cuirass over some well-patched traveling clothes, and whittling rods of what looks like the same kind of chitin as your new armor into arrows. "Oh, hello. You've caught me at a bad time, I was about to head out. Otherwise I'd offer to give you some directions. I can tell you just arrived. But I suppose I have a few minutes."

She's able to answer what seem to be your most pertinent questions: "Balmora is the district street of House Hlaalu, and the largest settlement on Vvardenfell after Vivec City. Good roads lead north from here to Balmora, passing through Fort Pelagiad and Pelagiad village. From Balmora, road leads north to Ald'ruhn through the town of Caldera. I'd write down some directions for you, but I'm short on time. The roads are well-marked and there's a lot of traffic to Balmora, though, you should be able to find it easily enough."

When you ask about maintaining your armor, she says, "Chitin armor's a good armor for hunting around here. Once you know the trick it's easy enough to maintain. You'll need two things: resin and chitin. You'll use resin to glue and reinforce new chitin pieces to replace damaged ones. For the latter, look for Nix-hounds. They look like weevils in the shape of big wolves: vicious but not terribly dangerous. From their carapaces you can get a good amount of chitin plates in different sizes, shapes, strengths, and flexibility. I'd recommend their shoulders and backs for armor, and their legs and mandibles for weapons. Now, the resin is a bit trickier. You'll most likely have to buy it, as the Dunmer process it from various native plants, though you can also harvest a resin from the cuticles of the Shalk beetles. Those are most often found in the eastern Grazelands of the island, though. Also, a skilled enough alchemist might be able to cook their own resin at a campsite, with good enough equipment."

Take a walk outside of town, see what I can find. Any sign of the smugglers, perhaps? Or something else of particular note? Don't range too far, mind you. Just far enough to get back before nightfall.

[6] Leaving the the obstruction of the town's houses, you see what must be the "Strider Port." A wooden platform set atop the large rock overlooking town with several sturdy gangplanks protruding out into the air. Three huge, flea-like creatures with long, stilt-like legs, standing at least 30 feet tall, currently rest next to three of the gangplanks. One of them is being laden with cargo, a number of shirtless workers (mostly Dunmer and Argonians) lashing crates, barrels, and urns to its sides via a large net.

However, something else catches your eye. There seems to be a rivulet running around the other side of the rock. You begin to stroll over in that direction, and take off your nice new shoes to walk into the gully for a closer look. Surprisingly well-hidden from the nearby road and settlement, there seems to be a little grotto, a scum-filled pond only a few feet from the estuary (and access to the sea). There seems to be a tunnel entrance covered by a shabby wooden door. And standing in front, a sketchy red-haired dunmer woman smoking skooma.

Watch the skeevers for a bit, then continue towards Balmora.

[5] One of the skeevers lets go of the shoe for a moment and darts its jaws inside of the shoe. It pulls out a human foot. The two skeevers then retreat from each other. Come to think of it, it looks like something was dragged through the mud nearby over to behind that rock...

(EDITED as per PMs)

You guardsman's intuition gets the better of you and you step off the road to take a look, and half-regret it as soon as you do. Here is clearly a corpse, not very decayed but horribly ravaged by the local wildlife. The limbs have been nearly stripped to the bone already and something has chewed the face off. You can scarcely tell if this was a man or woman, only that it was a fair-skinned human, likely an Imperial or a Breton. However, you spot a very distinctive and expensive-looking ring still on a miraculously undamaged hand, and notice that the pouches on the belt are still intact.

"Verily! I am agent of very good guild, the best guild. I am here to recover the Eye of Argonia so that we might bring destruction to our foes, call the demiurge of the Hist into being, and remove bedbugs from tavern mattresses."

Eetz cocked his head sideways. "I am Sneezes-At-Orphans, are you too a member of the good guild?"

INTERACT.

[4] The Nord smiles and sits up "Of course. And I take it you're here about the Tong, then? Heading to Vivec to see Gentleman?" He reaches under the pillow and removes a dagger. From the glint, you can tell it's magic. "'Fraid I've already got dibs on this room. But if you wanna rip off this joint, the real treasure's in the basement storeroom."

"HaHA! And they said wandering out into the swamp alone to stuff strange things in your mouth was a BAD idea!"

Recklessly experiment with brewing up potions! Assuming I get any, take them to Arrille to get them appraised.

[2] You grind together some rather pathetic salves to provide water walking and water breathing, but don't discover any new effects. [5] While your glop is weak, it is potent enough that you can still sell it. The waterwalking one lasts long enough to run across a creek or a pond, after all. Altogether you scrape together 15 more septims. At this rate, though, it looks like you'll either need to risk tangling with the slaughterfish and swamp critters for some better ingredients, or find somewhere to get better equipment.

After the Bosmer finishes up her business in the tradehouse, and you both stop by Fargoth's house for some parting gifts [4] (He gives you a bottle of Sujama for the road), you follow the path up to the strider port where you can see one of the bizarre beasts currently being loaded. The insect's crooning song vibrates in your bones at this close distance, feeling strangely soothing. You can also see the whole town from up here: the C&E offices and warehouse, the three rows of modest houses, the even humbler shacks on the peninsular mudfields, and the dingy lighthouse off on the tip. A dunmer woman looks over at you as you approach.

"Hello, strangers. Why walk when you can ride?" As it turns out, she's the driver of the strider being loaded, which is due to head to Balmora shortly. [5] She says she can take you both to Balmora for a mere 10 gils, half of your remaining funds, and you'll arrive in the evening.

Aside from the apparent workers, it seems there's a number of other passengers waiting up here. In fact, you spy one of your erstwhile shipmates. "Oh, hello," says Jiub, the Dunmer who had followed Polonius to the tradehouse. "Going to Balmora? I'm off to Vivec myself. Got any plans for what to do now that you're free?"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 01:20:59 am by HugoLuman »

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2017, 08:37:33 am »

"Taahni plans to join a mage's guild and enhance her skills. An alchemy and enchanting service would be profitable, no?"

She then pays for her and Tyrian's ride to Balmora.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2017, 09:17:54 am »

"Sera," says Marcius, mildly familiar with Dunmer honorifics from a lifetime in spoof trade. "How does the day greet you?"

Make conversation with this probable smuggler in a knowing, yet unprotesting kind of way.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2017, 10:17:20 am »

"May he rest in piece."

Search the body for clues.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18