Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386869 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #3180 on: June 15, 2017, 06:00:27 pm »

DESIGNS
0 - Exploding Shell:
1 - Energetic Transfusion: RAM
5 - Combat Armor: Chiefwaffles, Andrea, Kadzar, FallacyofUrist, Andres
0 - Black crystal:
0 - Celestedemorte:

Revisions:
1 - Conjure Water: RAM
1 - Beachfront Frost Tower: RAM
0 - Anti-Magic Mist:
1 - No revisions until after the Design phase: Andres

Vote-blocks
0 - Fallacy's Plan(ES,CW,BFT):

As for ideas. I just remembered a big problem with the new armour design. It goes from conductive armour to nonconductive armour. It sonds good, but in practie, a human with two thin nonconductive layers is usually more conductive than the air. So nonconductive armour is probably more dangerous than the current metal armour. Lighnting doesn't hit things and ounce, it goes through things and causes damage on the way. Protection relies upon making it go somewhere else. Resistant armour doesn't do that unless the occupant is in an air-tight(well, electrically-tight, actually) enclosure with significantly greater resistance along its most conductive path than the surrounding air has, and air is actually quite resistant. In short, the new version of the armour does not actually protect against real lightning. But this is fantasy lightning, so I guess it will work regardless.
((I can't say whether this would normally be correct or incorrect since I'm not that great at physics, but what I do know for sure is that your science does not apply.))
Arstotzkan soldiers are braver and do not scream when lightning strikes - likely because they are instantaneously cooked inside their welded-shut armor coffins.  Their fellow soldiers get incredibly upset by this, bemoaning about 'realism' and 'faraday cages'.  Moskurgs just laugh in their filthy gutter language, and our men vow revenge against those who would so blatantly flout reality.
((By making our crystal armour non-conductive, lightning will bounce off them or not hit them at all. That's science as far as Wands Race goes. Magic is like that.))

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: June 15, 2017, 06:11:32 pm »

It seems like combat armor is winning.  Unless that changes soon, I'll roll up the design.

And dear god, guys, be nice to each other. 

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: June 15, 2017, 06:37:37 pm »

I'm willing to cut a deal with you bird people.

If the steam rifle wins with a vote from either RAM, Kadzar, or Voidslayer, (or Andres if he switches back) then said person can direct my vote next design phase, either for bird cavalry, or whatever else you think is needed (Barring frost towers)

Glory to Arstotzka.
Reminder that Andres has my vote for this turn. Just for the Design.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: June 15, 2017, 06:46:24 pm »

If the steam rifle wins with a vote from either RAM, Kadzar, or Voidslayer, (or Andres if he switches back) then said person can direct my vote next design phase, either for bird cavalry, or whatever else you think is needed (Barring frost towers)

Glory to Arstotzka.
Any chance I can hold off on calling in that vote for another time. It's kind of got a huge lead at the moment.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: June 15, 2017, 07:13:23 pm »

Glory to Arstotzka.
Any chance I can hold off on calling in that vote for another time. It's kind of got a huge lead at the moment.

Glory to Arstotzka.
No, sorry. The terms of the deal were for the next design. You knew this was a possibility when you took the deal. No refunds. I am not responsible for buyer's remorse.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: June 15, 2017, 07:16:27 pm »

Ok.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: June 15, 2017, 07:57:23 pm »

Y'know, you people should really join the Discord. So we can discuss things. Like helicarriers perfectly normal ideas.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: June 15, 2017, 08:10:35 pm »

GM, how come our steam engine isn't cheap? It's made out of crystal now so it should be made cheaper by the Crystalworks. By extension, our Crystalclad and STV-1 should be Cheap and Expensive, respectively.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: June 15, 2017, 08:17:27 pm »

Link to discord?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: June 15, 2017, 08:18:30 pm »

Wands Race now has a discord!

To join, you need to post in the Deployment Zone with your preferred side.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: June 15, 2017, 08:24:01 pm »

We really should do lighting control as it's own design, as it is a semi new tech, but looks like it si too late for that, hopefully we can do something in the revision to strengthen it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3191 on: June 15, 2017, 08:39:18 pm »

I believe that crystalworks ties with mountains as a +1 bonus. So becomeing cheaper would be a matter of whether or not they were ever revised to benefit from the mountains. I do not recall if that were the case. Unless by revising a +1 to a design we get that ++1 regardless of whether it repaces and existing +1...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: June 15, 2017, 09:18:25 pm »

I've compiled a history of our steam engine-related actions.
  • The Steam Engine started as a (useless) design. It was useless and was a National Effort. (2-2, 1-2+1, 6-2)
  • Then we revised it to uhh... We made it smaller and lighter to the point where it could technically be put on a ship. It's still a NE at this point and is still extremely useless. (4)
  • Then we spent a design to improve it. This brought it down to Very Expensive. It's technically "useful", but is outclassed by any other method of propulsion, requires constant extensive maintenance, is still extremely heavy and big, and isn't powerful at all. (3, 3, 4)
  • Then we revised in turbines, increasing power. Still requires constant maintenance due to salt water, its ropes (a rope belt drives the paddle) involved in its operations can still slip off and break, and a boat powered by it is no longer slow, but is still beat by a rower-powered boat. (4)
  • Then we revise the Magical Condensor, which is an improved cooling system for the HC1-E and steam engine. In addition to introducing Gold Circuits, this improves the reliability + power (and to a very lesser degree, weight) of the steam engine to the point where the Fog-O-War could reliably outpace Moskurg boats. The engine is still Very Expensive. (5+1)
  • Then finally, we revise nickel circuits. It isn't explicitly stated here, but after this revision the steam engine becomes Expensive. (5)

So it would look like we did not use our Metal bonus at any point on the steam engine. So therefore making the engine out of crystal should make it Cheap.

And the Steam Engine's blurb in our equipment is pretty outdated in general.
Steam Engine: A highly expensive and enormously heavy steam engine.  Uses a steam turbine to generate power.  Uses PSF's and a steam recycler with enchanted gold etchings to manage heat.  Expensive.
It should be using Nickel Circuits and should be (mostly) made of Crystal (which should notably reduce its weight).

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: June 15, 2017, 10:09:38 pm »

GM, how come our steam engine isn't cheap? It's made out of crystal now so it should be made cheaper by the Crystalworks. By extension, our Crystalclad and STV-1 should be Cheap and Expensive, respectively.

Its larger than most crystal things youre making, especially with the thicker walls and delicate turbines and circuitry.  Cost wasn't limited by steel, which you have plenty of.  Being made of crystal has made it lighter, though.  It's Expensive, and so is everything else on the crystalclad.   The Restless is also made of a fuck-ton of crystal, which takes a long time to print in the crystalworks. 

Most notable is that the steam engine could be used by mundane soldiers, though you've not done so.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:11:38 pm by evictedSaint »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: June 15, 2017, 10:12:42 pm »

Actually, fuck that.  I'm not sure why I was so hard on the steam engine.  Youve had it for a long time and made a lot of improvements.  The next time you design something that uses it you can upgrade the engine for free, too.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 301