Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387056 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2490 on: May 23, 2017, 09:58:15 pm »

I would just prefer a giant bird that can like kill people.  Myark can equip a fireball spell and the bird.

Edit: sorry about the double post I will be more careful.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: May 23, 2017, 10:01:20 pm »

Well, the Battle-Eagle would be big enough to fit a HC1-E or a group of mages. So we can use a cannon from above or multiple mages from above.

And the Frost Spire does have a clause to have it not affect places (that are already near to it) where the cold would hurt us.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: May 23, 2017, 10:04:55 pm »

I really hope I don't need to tell you guys to be nice to each other.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: May 23, 2017, 10:09:26 pm »

Evicted, was I being rude? Sorry - I didn't realize, and will explicitly try to watch what I say in the future.

@Andres: And I'm fine if you don't like any of my designs.
I still really like the Spire of Frost, it's just that it still has no additional support and I have other ideas I'd like to see what people think about. And seriously; I do appreciate suggestions for any of them.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: May 23, 2017, 10:12:11 pm »

If you take out the ability to summon the bird (teleportation is.. quite... outside out fields and adds an extra layer of -1s maybe) I would go for the giant hawk.  It is useful enough to support the rest of our anti air, and even if it gets nerfed to not be able to carry a cannon it is still a mobile air platform for fireball spells.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: May 23, 2017, 10:20:02 pm »

Oh, by "summon" I meant that Myark could call the battle-eagle to him. Not anything involving teleportation or magical summoning. I've edited it to be a bit more clear regarding that.

And I do understand the concerns that the Battle-Eagle could be redundant considering our future designs. Ideally, I'd like to have bigger eagles carrying heavy weapons, but those weapons would probably be a "bombing" variant of the Hybrid Cannon/Artillery or just a general scaled-down variant. Same for the mages, but probably less of them. And no crystal plating. Though I'm not sure if this stuff is feasible given the amount of actions it'd take.
Basically, I'm sure the Battle-Eagle would be one-of-a-kind, but there is a possibility we could develop something like it in the distant future and make it less useful. But disregarding that, I like it.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: May 23, 2017, 10:25:53 pm »

Meteor Design
2 - Battle Eagle: Chiefwaffles, voidslayer
1 - Spire of Frost: Chiefwaffles
1 - Tower of Heresy: FallacyofUrist
1 - Staff of Forever Frost: Andres
0 - Catgirl Assassins(Hilarious):
0 - Maxim Gun(Improbable):
1 - Aetheric Staff(Practical): FallacyofUrist
1 - Beacon of Magic: helmacon
0 - Demon Wolf From The Dark Heavens:
0 - Crown of Ash:
1 - Gilded Guardian Gilda: RAM
0? - Orb of Divination: Andrea?
0? - Orb of Anti-Divination: Andrea?
0 - Large Ice Lizard With Wings:
0 - Fair-Day Cage:

Sure, fine, I still wanted a giant wolf but a giant bird is fine.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: May 23, 2017, 10:28:38 pm »

((GM, if we don't get consensus, you can always just not roll for it this turn and update. Not immediately using stuff like Expense Credits was a thing we did in Arms Race.))

I actually do like the frost staff, it is similar to one of my suggestions at one point.  I would like to see how effective it is.
So can you vote for it?

@Andres: And I'm fine if you don't like any of my designs.
I still really like the Spire of Frost, it's just that it still has no additional support and I have other ideas I'd like to see what people think about. And seriously; I do appreciate suggestions for any of them.
-The Meteoric Generator isn't bad, but it requires another Design to work. None of our current technologies or even tech trees are compatible with it, so we'll need something new entirely. For that reason this design is unsalvageable.
-Battle Eagle as I have already mentioned is a waste of the opportunity.
-Staff of Frostflame is very ambitious. It attempts to do what the Staff of Forever Frost does, but also be capable of doing the same things with heat. It also has some unique features like the "set things on fire over there" bit. The Staff of Forever Frost just works in a radius centering on the staff itself. The way to make this design better is to strip out major features, but then you'd just get my Staff of Forever Frost.

I have some ideas I'd like to run by you real quick:
-Something that can summon angels of the gods. Their purity and goodness will smite the Moskurg from the face of the Earth.
-The Meteor Staff of Meteors: Summons giant meteors.
-Orb of Rerolls: Reroll the worst roll of a turn and pick the better result.
-Wand of True Light: Turns Moskurgs into Arstotzkans.
-Crown of Glory: Turns the Arstotzkan who wears it into a Super Arstotzkan. ((Note: I really really want this. More than anything. I will vote for whatever you want for 2 turns if you vote for this.))

Glory to Arstotzka.

EDIT:
Meteor Design
2 - Battle Eagle: Chiefwaffles, voidslayer
2 - Spire of Frost: Chiefwaffles, Andres
0 - Crown of Ash:
0 - Fair-Day Cage:

Just so we have a bit more time to talk.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:34:55 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: May 23, 2017, 10:36:29 pm »

eh, I'll probably postpone the battle phase until tomorrow, actually.  Give you time to decide on the Ore design.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: May 23, 2017, 10:37:45 pm »

- Meteoric Generator I think can be useful if we determine what benefits we can get from it. I would really like an artificial power source, but I kind of thing re-designing Magegems to passively generate power is a better step in that area, since then it can work on the battlefield.
- Battle Eagle I see your point, but it does directly help us wherever Myark is, and considering that "Very Expensive" = a few dozen at most and usually just a few/a handful, I think that 1 thing, if as good as the Battle-Eagle, could be a huge difference. I do have my concerns that I already noted, though.
- Staff of Frostflame is ambitious, but I think the risk could potentially be worth it compared to the Staff of Forever Frost (which is still a good idea)

- The angels thing only vaguely relates to our experience (basic summoning) and I think doesn't match our theme. Shouldn't Moskurg be the one summoning angels?
- Giant meteor staff seems fine, but kind of plain.
- Orb of Rerolls seems like something Evicted would never ever let us do.
- Wand of True Light is an interesting idea that'd definitely be possible.
- Crown of Glory: Kind of over-general.

Again, I'm not really all that concerned about what we pick for our meteor design. As long as it's sufficiently super-powered and not something like "A flaming sword!1!11!one!1" (which is totally something we should do later) wasting the meteor. I don't think the Battle-Eagle applies here though.

What about a really explosive shell? Use magegems + meteor to create huge explosion at impact site.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: May 23, 2017, 10:50:17 pm »

- Staff of Frostflame is ambitious, but I think the risk could potentially be worth it compared to the Staff of Forever Frost (which is still a good idea)

- The angels thing only vaguely relates to our experience (basic summoning) and I think doesn't match our theme. Shouldn't Moskurg be the one summoning angels?
- Wand of True Light is an interesting idea that'd definitely be possible.
- Crown of Glory: Kind of over-general.

What about a really explosive shell? Use magegems + meteor to create huge explosion at impact site.
- The Staff of Forever Frost is already an army-killer. There's little point in reaching beyond that. Hell, remove the fire stuff and keep that other extra feature (selective effect area) and it functionally does the same thing. Just instead of burning a ballista it flash-freezes it and also its crew. But again, the SoFF is already an army-killer, so why go for the increased complexity?

- I don't think we're getting any penalties or bonuses based on past experiences for this design, due to it being a special bonus one. But no, why would Moskurg be summoning angels? Demons, maybe, but not angels.
- Willing to vote for it? Have any suggestions to improve it without increasing complexity?
- ((Come oooooooon! It's a Super Saiyan that's powered by glory and magic!))

We have no delivery system and even if we did there are things that can go wrong, such as Moskurg intercepting it. Also kind of boring. I mean, it's just a big explosion.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: May 23, 2017, 11:16:58 pm »

Valkyrie > Super Saiyan. Valkyrie have better music! Also, Valkyrie sort of trump saiyan, as the former decide what is or is not glorious battle, and the latter is dependent upon such...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: May 24, 2017, 01:57:11 am »

Meteor Design: SO1-M "Mother" Just putting this out there if anyone's interested.
The SO1-M "Mother" shell is a simple design. It turns out that when enough energy is introduced into the meteor in just the right place, the meteor violently explodes. It has a destruction radius unlike nothing we've ever seen before.

The shell design is simple. Inside the shell is a set of ~2-3 A-sized (or smaller if needed) Magegems. Upon impact with the ground, these Magegems will shatter, suddenly releasing their magical energy. Crystal conduits inside the shell will direct the energy towards a small meteor fragment. Once the energy is input, the meteor fragment and thus the whole shell create a huge explosion. The shell is specifically fit for a HA1.

This explosion is unlike anything we've ever seen. It creates an area of utter devastation, wiping out entire Moskurg units of soldiers and destroying multiple emplacements at once. Of course, these shells take a long time to produce and are made using the sparse meteor, so they're not common occurrences in the battlefield. They're most used by our commanders once a tactically-important Moskurg piece of land is found, and called in using precise flares to prevent error.

TL;DR: Extreme explosive shells. Rare and specifically called in by commanders, but resemble something like extreme tactical bombs (MOAB, anyone?) of today.

Meteor Design: Wand of True Light
Those Moskurgers seriously believe their ideology is superior to ours?
How silly, and able to be remedied.

The Wand of True Light does exactly what its named for - it brings light to our enemies. It turns out that the meteor has... effects on people's minds. By itself, it just produces mild irritation and discomfort. But our mathemagicians are no fools. Using their experience of manipulating minds as learned with the Falcon taming spells, they applied it to the meteor. The result is the Wand of True Light. It's rather large but still resembles a wand. At the top, covered by elaborate circuitry, is the meteor fragment. Circuitry here and across the inside and outside of the wand "tunes" the signals emitted by the meteor into something weaponize-able.
It influences one's mind to show them the true light of the war and Arstotzka's righteousness.

When held by a skilled and precise user like Myark, the Wand of True Light can be influenced at varying scales. Against a single person, the wand can completely reach an individual and enlighten them about our cause and the nature of the war, making them more loyal to Arstotzka than most of our soldiers. Against a small group, the wand can make people realize the true reasons for the war and Arstotzkaa's moral righteousness; that it's wrong to be fighting for such an awful nation like Moskurg. Realizing this and with their convictions and beliefs greatly shaken they can desert, surrender, or simply just retreat. Against large amounts of troops at the theatre-scale, the wand can put doubts in Moskurgers' minds - is it really worth it? Could they die? Are they on the right side?
In the scale of theatres, the wand for the most part won't convert anyone not already wracked with indecision, but it will significantly lower their morale. When an uncertain foe is fighting against our loyal and dedicated troops, who's going to win? When an uncertain Moskurger sees their friends die to the shells of our cannons, will they stay and fight or run away?

The wand is a deadly weapon, given to Myark for his use only. It can influence battlefields, turn individuals to our side, and nearly-immediately make smaller groups of Moskurgers abandon and desert.

TL;DR: A mind-influencing weapon. Causes mass decrease in morale on a theatre scale, can cause small groups to desert the battle or surrender, or can completely "brainwash" individuals.
I'm happy to modify the design at anyone's request.

I'll be voting for this wand since I think it's a great design. Not removing my votes for anything else, yet, though.
Meteor Design
1 - Battle Eagle: voidslayer
2 - Spire of Frost: Chiefwaffles, Andres
1 - Wand of True Light: Chiefwaffles
0 - Crown of Ash:
0 - Fair-Day Cage:

Also, as a note, I do kind of want to get air manipulation/something resembling "telekinesis" at some point. Since I have some ideas for the HA2/HC3: (Not in any particular order; hard ones colored red.)
1.) Breech loading (Load shells from the back of the artillery piece, not the front. More modern loading method, not that hard to accomplish, and should greatly increase rate of fire. Easily done in a revision.)
2.) Levitation (We use some kind of spell to cause the artillery piece to lightly "levitate", allowing for extremely easy movement. Can be done with a revision if we have a "Manipulate air" spell or something like that, but may have to be done as part of a design.)
3.) Swivel-mount (Maybe HC3 exclusive - Give it 360 degrees of rotation alongside the ground and try for 90 degrees up and down. Lets our HC3s fire at much more things, like Moskurg carpets. Helps HC3s and maaaybe HA1s on ships)
4.) Powered (Use Magegems to power artillery, allowing mundane troops to operate it with the occasional/rare visit from an apprentice fore recharging.)
5.) Living (Use an intelligence implanted into a magegem to automatically aim the artillery piece, eliminating human error + making Artillery more reliable, as no squishy humans to die means longer-lasting artillery)
6.) Self-loading (Create a kind of "magazine" that loads into the HA1/HC3, allowing it to fire at a much faster rate. Worthy of a design.)
7.) Crystal Shield/Plating (Create a crystal enclosure for the operators and maybe crystal plating for the rest of the artillery, making it much more durable against Moskurg air units and artillery.)

Also, possible designs using Magegems next turn:
1.) Flarewand (A "wand" powered by an AA magegem inserted in the bottom. Distributed to as many mundanes as possible, it can be used by anyone to summon a flare, allowing for communication without wizards. Since it's a design, we could be more ambitious - anti-AM maybe?)
2.) Crystalworks. (PLEASE)
3.) Firegem (A grenade. It's an AA-sized magegem coated with magical circuits harnessing the energy into a fireball, and as the fireball doesn't have to have velocity it takes less energy. A "pin" is pulled, starting a circuit-powered timer. The user throws it, and it eventually goes off, unleashing a fireball at its location. Allows for mundane fireballs in melees and skirmishes.)
4.) Fireshell (Above, but fit for a shell. Either #3 or #4 could be a design, and the remaining one can be a revision.)

And other note: We should probably try revising our circuits again next turn. We can get bonuses due to experience from our revision this turn and it has a ton of benefits.

EDIT: Removing my vote for battle-eagles. I'm actually a really big fan of this design so far. And battle-eagles are pretty close to something I want to do eventually anyways
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:17:10 pm by Chiefwaffles »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: May 24, 2017, 02:02:11 am »

N.U.K.E.
We figured out how to make the meteor explode. We just shoot it from one territory to an adjacent one, and then, boom! A massive explosion permanently dents the territory and a cloud of chaotic magic settles there for a thousand years which causes any heads that are in the region to promptly explode.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: May 24, 2017, 02:44:24 am »

7.) Crystal Shield/Plating (Create a crystal enclosure for the operators and maybe crystal plating for the rest of the artillery, making it much more durable against Moskurg air units and artillery.)

Yes please why haven't we done this yet please why.  We can literally summon steel bunkers.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 301