Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386736 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2475 on: May 23, 2017, 08:08:35 pm »

Meteor Design: Battle-Eagle
We've successfully tamed and weaponized Falcons using a simple spell. But what if we wanted to make a true mount for Myark to ride into battle?

It turns out, this can be done via the Meteor. Through a very involved process, we can acquire an "extract" from the meteor. Introduction of this extract into the body of an eagle introduces a very curious effect. The body becomes almost... malleable. The simplest of spells can be used to make serious modifications to the eagle. Of course, we only have enough extract for a small amount of eagles, and have deemed the best method is to have Myark be the only eagle rider and keep the rest of the extract for the occasional casualty.

Once the extract is ingested by an eagle, simple variants of the spell used to tame falcons can be invoked upon the eagle. The first step in the process is size. We increase the size of the eagle to massive proportions (speaking of which, we require a cleaning team to Test Lab #3. A test creature got a little too big for its confinements). By the time we're done with this step, the eagle is huge. It's big enough and has enough strength to fit several riders and Myark. With careful considerations surrounding the securing of the weapon, we could even attach a single HC1-E or weapon of similar weight to the eagle and a small amount of ammunition.

The next step is "binding" crystal plating to the eagle. We summon a thin crystal plating around most parts of the eagle, which, thanks to the malleability afforded by the extract, binds to the eagle. This crystal plate is still vulnerable to dispellment, but once the first plate is attached, the crystal can be re-summoned at any point.

Finally, we bond Myark and the eagle. This is based on a kind of mutual version of the taming spell we developed a while back, taking advantage of the extract. This binding allows Myark to exert fine control over the movements of the Eagle, and to call it to him at any location.

The result is a fierce battle-mount for Myark to ride into battle, and a platform for mages or even a HC1-E to fire upon Moskurger forces from the air.

TL;DR: A heavy armored flying mount for Myark and some wizard buddies/a HC1-E.
My new favorite design.

Meteor Design
1 - Battle Eagle: Chiefwaffles
1 - Spire of Frost: Chiefwaffles
1 - Tower of Heresy: FallacyofUrist
1 - Staff of Forever Frost: Andres
0 - Catgirl Assassins(Hilarious):
0 - Maxim Gun(Improbable):
1 - Aetheric Staff(Practical): FallacyofUrist
1 - Beacon of Magic: helmacon
1 - Demon Wolf From The Dark Heavens: VoidSlayer
0 - Crown of Ash:
1 - Gilded Guardian Gilda: RAM
0? - Orb of Divination: Andrea?
0? - Orb of Anti-Divination: Andrea?
0 - Large Ice Lizard With Wings:
0 - Fair-Day Cage:
Vote for the Battle-Eagle!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:16:40 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: May 23, 2017, 08:26:05 pm »

I would respond to that with your own logic. At some point as the air war progresses, we will want to up our falcons anyways, and an eagle mount may end up outclassed.

It might be boring, but we could use the meteor to create valuable infrastructure.

Meteoric Generator
The nature of the meteor is to act as a conduit for magical energy. As such, it is always putting off a large amount of this energy. In the proper conditions, we can siphon off this energy for any number of purposes. Currently, it is only being funneled into additional mage gems, but could theoretically be used to power any number of magical industries. (Think, powered Crystal works. Industrialization!)
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: May 23, 2017, 08:29:20 pm »

I mean, I fully doubt we'd ever get eagles big enough to fit HC1-Es onto along with crystal plating and a bond with the rider.
I do want to develop an eagle HWP but even then, it'd basically require a specially-designed HCx as a HC1-E would be waay too heavy.

I kind of like the Meteoric Generator but it just seems... not national effort enough. It seems useful for the future but I want something for Myark to use! I want a mount! A weapon! Armor!
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: May 23, 2017, 08:41:23 pm »

This is building on Helmacon's main idea: (I'm not necessarily supporting this! I still like the Battle-Eagle, and the problem with this is that it's limited only to things nearby so we can't ever use it in our cannons and the like. Maybe revisions in the future to extend infrastructure to our battlelines?)
Meteor Design: Meteoric Generator
We've discovered something amazing about the meteor: It generates magical power. By itself.

We've taken the meteor chunks and are storing them in a building in the center of Arstotzka. The building is filled with magical circuits monitoring and stabilizing the flow of magical energy outwards from and inside the meteor. The actual meteor lies inside a transparent chamber at the center of the building. Thanks to our modifications to "hook up" the meteor to the rest of the building, the meteor outputs a noticeable blue glow, making the need for torches and the like redundant.

The building - the Meteoric Generator - can be connected to any other building or emplacement by crystal cabling. Generally, the building should be close by to cut on the labor and time in creating the crystal cabling, but theoretically as long as it's connected, it could be everywhere. The Meteoric Generator also makes use of circuits to be able to charge Magegems instead of draining them, though we recommend putting these "chargers" in buildings and structures connected to the Meteoric Generator, in order to avoid having to walk to the generator and come inside (a security risk!) in order to charge Magegems.

The Meteoric Generator makes anything connected to it able to magically operate independent of wizard-provided power. The theoretical crystalworks could use as much magical power required without any kind of wizard interaction being required!

NEXT STEP: MAGICAL LIGHTS. We gotta aim to win that civilian intermission. Lights and stoves in every home!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: May 23, 2017, 08:46:11 pm »

Hey Chiefwaffles, stop double-posting, please.  Edit your previous reply if you have something you want to add; it's fine to do it once or twice, but you've been doing it pretty frequently lately.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: May 23, 2017, 09:12:57 pm »

I never really got what the big deal was about double posting, but ya know, whatevs, it's your thread.

Consider my vote to be for CWs meteoric generator design.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: May 23, 2017, 09:16:23 pm »

@Evicted: Alright, I'll cut it down; sorry. I've been trying to use it for new things because before (namely when ebbor was still posting) I would get ninja'd a lot when posting and the person didn't know I edited my post and it would consistently lead to a whole mess.
But yeah. I'll start editing in new things again, especially considering the amount of particularly passionate people seems to have died down a bit.

And just general reminder that I'm not necessarily voting for the Meteoric Generator. I'm just not sure if it's worth it. It'd power things like the Crystalworks, yeah, but what would that really benefit? How many designs are we going to have that would use the Meteoric Generator, and how would they actually mechanically benefit from it other than removing a sentence of fluff about it removing Magegems?
It's cool, I just don't see how it'd actually benefit us.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: May 23, 2017, 09:20:20 pm »

I see that it could, maybe, be used to reduce the expense of one thing at any given time. Provided that it was appropriate? The managems seem mostly limited by materials, rather than resources. We would be better off, in my mind, with a gem-ffoundry, that can convert magic into precious stones...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: May 23, 2017, 09:24:59 pm »

Chiefwaffles, I hate your Battle Eagle design. It's terrible. That said, I'm willing to compromise with you, so long as it's for a design I don't completely loathe. Are you willing to compromise with me?

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: May 23, 2017, 09:40:06 pm »

My problem with the frost based meteoric designs are those are all things we already do.

I want something unique and in an area we do not currently have a lot of designs in, but have some experience.

Summoning, beast control, crystal shields, plants of some kind.

What about this:

Mad Horse:

This wand of meteoric Iron creates a wave of magic that works similar to the falcon training spell, but works on horses.  It also makes them go crazy and attack people and siege equipment until they are put down, instead of training them.

Look, okay, I know this is weird but it turns one of their strengths into a weakness.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: May 23, 2017, 09:44:37 pm »

Y'know Andres, there are better ways to make comments or provide feedback other than saying "it's terrible".
'cause it's not.
And I have no idea what you mean by compromise in this situation.

@Void:
That seems way too situational for a NE wand - something that only Myark will be carrying.
vote for battle-eagle instead

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: May 23, 2017, 09:51:07 pm »

Y'know Andres, there are better ways to make comments or provide feedback other than saying "it's terrible".
'cause it's not.
A giant eagle with a cannon on it is a waste of the meteor iron's power. It's just a giant, hard to take down eagle with a cannon on it. Compare that to your Frost Tower design, which cools the entire continent, or mine, which can freeze entire armies to death, or your Frostflame staff, which has so much flexibility.

As for compromise, I meant that I can change one of my designs to something closer to what you want or you can change one of your designs to something closer to what I want.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: May 23, 2017, 09:51:25 pm »

'cause it's not.

@Void:
That seems way too situational for a NE wand - something that only Myark will be carrying.
vote for battle-eagle instead

But can't you just picture some future archeologist, finding the wand, bringing it halfway around the world, discovering an ancient spell to detect the purpose of magic items, then learning it... makes horses go insane.  The perfect legacy and metaphor for this whole war.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: May 23, 2017, 09:53:06 pm »

I don't really like doing too much politics, but if you have any feedback or suggestions for one of my designs, please do say it.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: May 23, 2017, 09:56:30 pm »

I actually do like the frost staff, it is similar to one of my suggestions at one point.  I would like to see how effective it is.

The doom frost tower is a good idea, but only if we fully invest in super-villain style world wide ice age.  Need to make spells to keep our troops toasty and our farms productive, heated crystal farming domes?

I just don't see the super frost tower not killing us... and rendering the land barren forever.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 301