Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387250 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #2160 on: May 10, 2017, 01:26:38 am »

I would go for a magic rifle over a steam rifle.  Even the minor fireball would be killer if it could be used by a large part of our non mage forces.  We already got fireball science down, miniaturizing steam engines would be another layer of unnecessary complexity to creating gems and circuits and whatnot.

But an idea, if we can make magic rune whatevers in metal to create effects, what about on people...

Granted none of our effects would be particularly useful on our own soldiers but still.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: May 10, 2017, 01:32:41 am »

I would like to focus on naval matters too.

With our cannons available in greater amounts we should be able to smash the enemy fleet badly, but I would like to reinforce that further.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: May 10, 2017, 01:42:59 am »

Yeah. I think we should maintain our ground at land while pushing an advantage at sea.
Magegems however I'm growing more and more fond of as I think further. While without good-enough rolls they aren't immediately useful, they can be immensely helpful. In addition to paving the way for magic rifles if we ever choose to pursue those, and the "ready-made" principle of their design means putting them into other designs will be easy.
More importantly, magegems are critical for the Crystalworks which I think is a necessary step towards Crystalclads.

I do wonder though how much we should worry about using so many apprentices and mages for our magitech.
So, time for yet another question! Sorry for the sheer quantity of them, but Evicted, is it possible for you to provide a rough percentage of how many mages we don't have actually contributing directly to the fighting due to maintaining requirements for things like artillery and steam engines?

Oh, and lemme know if you think I missed something in the list I recently posted. I want to keep it up-to-date. I'm going to add in stuff for plant magic after this post.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: May 10, 2017, 01:44:58 am »

Honestly, I would like to keep our mages as far away from the frontlines as possible.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: May 10, 2017, 01:48:51 am »

I want them on the front lines protected by thick crystal plates.  Also we are losing two fronts.  We will need more then long range cannons to even fight back.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: May 10, 2017, 01:55:02 am »

Uhm, aren't you forgetting the Moskurgians have negated all magic in medium range. Mages on front lines are useless.

And yes, we're losing in the plains and Jungle, for 3 reasons

1 ) Our Frost spell is not effective enough due to their counter
2) Their artillery was more numerous
3) Their Skirmish advantage
4) They control the seas.

1 is going to be negated by our attack on the desert
2 is going to be decisively turned around by our new artillery cannons
3 is not addressed
4 is going to falter as our cannons are spread among all our ship. The enemy is going to be forced to retreat as soon each and every one of our ships will have the Elite cannons, and will thus out perform them in fire rate to a ridiculous degree.

Not sure what the enemy is planning, but so far we;re doing good.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:01:26 am by 10ebbor10 »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: May 10, 2017, 02:01:37 am »

Uhm, aren't you forgetting the Moskurgians have negated all magic in medium range.

That is why we have the crystal shields at long range, around our cannons.  The mages are not on the front lines, just with the rest of the crews.  Then if the shielding is effective we can just make an automated version of it.

It is not perfect, but it would provide much needed defenses for our cannons as well as experience in making crystal armor plating in a large but simple shape.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: May 10, 2017, 02:06:29 am »

3) Their Skirmish advantage

Three words:  Shadow Assassin Wolves

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: May 10, 2017, 03:03:29 am »

I've always liked the idea of Wraiths.
We have life magic. We have magical mist. Just make the stuff immune to antimagic and create a Wraith.

And I definitely want to pursue crystal shielding + defenses. But once we get the Crystalclad, I think we'll have enough expertise in crystal to easily make crystal fortifications.

EDIT: Actually, on that note, time to add another thingy to my earlier megapost!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:11:48 am by Chiefwaffles »
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: May 10, 2017, 03:17:09 am »

Please don't start yet another new field of magic.

It woukd be nice if once every while we could actually have design actions that don't have -3 modifiers.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: May 10, 2017, 03:22:01 am »

I mean. It's not a new field of magic. Neither wraiths nor crystal shielding.
Wraiths: It's life magic. And of course Wraiths aren't an immediate thing. See the "Combat Lifeforms" plan in my earlier megapost for more. We work up to Wraiths gradually with things like Beastmen and the like first. I want to develop life magic regardless, but wraiths are a far-off idea if we ever get sufficiently advanced in life magic. Besides, even developing life magic is for far later.
Crystal Shielding: I'm pretty sure you didn't mean this, but regardless, it's a new shape of crystal. Not too hard.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: May 10, 2017, 03:25:49 am »

So, I am probably going to be asleep or something when the update hits, so I will get a simplified proposla out oif that is what the people want. I am kind of tempted to just go with the orignal and watch it crash and burn and try to recover on revisions, but whatever...

Design: Spell-forged Steam-parts the ensecondingness$@!@#$%
So, we like, use circuits to make, like, super-precise moulds. Like, actually materialise equasions directly, so, like, they are mathemagically perfect and stuff... And we also make pretty shapes that, like, are super-difficult for clay moulds, like, turbines and stuff, that, like, need to be made in pieces and stuff and glued together or something? And the circuits has, like, a gem on it, with magic inside, so it doesn't go all flat if it doesn't have a wizards the whole time it is cooling. The wizard just makes a whole load of moulds and the, like, PEOPLES UNION OF PROUD WORKER FORCES!!!! can do, like, filling moulds and watching them cool and stuff, and can turn them off by, like, pulling tiles out of the magic circle thingies for, like, *poof* "that mould went away" stuff... And we do it for all this steam stuff we have been doing lately. Armourers and weaponsmiths can go dunk themselves...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: May 10, 2017, 03:28:23 am »

I'm not sure I get the spell-forged stuff. The point of it is to make crystal moulds, right?
...But why? Wouldn't we be better off be making factories and automation for the actual goods themselves, not the moulds? Unless I'm missing something, wouldn't you mass produce the goods the mould makes and not the mould itself?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: May 10, 2017, 03:34:11 am »

I mean. It's not a new field of magic. Neither wraiths nor crystal shielding.
Wraiths: It's life magic. And of course Wraiths aren't an immediate thing. See the "Combat Lifeforms" plan in my earlier megapost for more. We work up to Wraiths gradually with things like Beastmen and the like first. I want to develop life magic regardless, but wraiths are a far-off idea if we ever get sufficiently advanced in life magic. Besides, even developing life magic is for far later.
Crystal Shielding: I'm pretty sure you didn't mean this, but regardless, it's a new shape of crystal. Not too hard.
I remember this exact argument when we were going to do the Dogwood wands.

It's not new, it's just a variation of our insect conjuration

Turns out it was new.

I'd start and stop with simple animals.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: May 10, 2017, 03:47:24 am »

Dogwood wands were the victim of "meh" effectiveness rolls.
And there were actually no penalties given to Dogwood wands, when we normally get penalties for any new technologies. The penalties are what we're avoiding. Sure, bonuses to rolls are nice, but they definitely aren't always obtainable and innovation is frequently worth more than a +1. It's not easy to get benefits, either. They're more of a "we have complete knowledge of this field so it comes naturally to us" rather than "we did something like this before", if I recall correctly.
Design: Plant Growth [3, 6 5]

And it's a pretty natural progression.
Insects -> Small-moderate Animals -> Dumb bruteforce humanoids -> Revise humanoids to be smarter -> Make humanoids again, but out of mist.

I would also again like to emphasize that this isn't something I'm trying to convince people to do right now or soon. I just think it's a good idea at some point, and while pointlessly expanding into completely new fields is not a good idea, this isn't pointless and it isn't a new field.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 301