Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 386362 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1980 on: May 04, 2017, 08:12:02 pm »

Yup the heretic is just an anti-divination version of the hopeless with a bit extra to explain how the anti-divination field is produced. The fluff section also has an explanation as to how we got it to be general anti-divination from anti-magic.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: May 04, 2017, 09:10:38 pm »

So I'm going to go ahead and post this now. It probably won't get enough support to win out for this round, but perhaps in the future. Since we don't seem to care about the biggest issue (their lucky strike), but do care about firepower. So I'm going to to post something that may give us a similar advantage.

Anti-Invocation Directional System
Spoiler: Visual Aid (click to show/hide)

The Anti-Invocation Directional System (AIDs for short) is our nation's response to lucky strike. Utilizing our anti-magic crystal technology, we've designed a type of anti-magic homing system. The system is contained with a modified rifled artillery shell. Each AIDs Shell has several antimagic charms around the diameter surrounded by a reinforced tube. These tubes are held within the shell until the shell begins its descent, which forces them to deploy. The tubes are designed to be aerodynamic, almost like small wings, so as to not impede the flight of the shell, but instead, guide it. The antimagic crystals held within give off small amounts of magic energy, which then forces the shell to turn slightly. This occurs until all the crystals are giving off the same amount of energy, which only occurs when the shell is perfectly on-target.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: May 04, 2017, 10:49:58 pm »

"AIDs shell" nice. Literally sending our enemies AIDs.
Also an interesting idea which I really like but it also seems really risky. Any idea for stepstone techs to work on in the meantime?

A future revision! This one is just a prospect for the future - I probably wouldn't do it anytime soon.
Future revision: Screw Propeller
The steam paddle used by our SBP1 is clunky and slow. A new solution was devised by a mathemagician in the naval department of the Design Bureau. Instead of a large paddle sitting both above and below the water, something called a "screw propeller" - named so for its shape - can be placed completely underwater. This new propulsion method grants steam-powered ships much higher speeds thanks to its new shape.
Adaption is easy - the screw propeller works off of a mechanical connection to the steam engines just like the steam paddle, and makes much better use of the steam engines' generated power.

Also, another future design! I think this one should be done fairly soon, but not now. It's actually pretty simple: The main differences between it and the SBP1 are the crystal plating and the size. Though simply increasing the size has a lot of benefits - agility, integrity, space for weapons, etc. If we do develop it then we'd need an anchored crystal revision almost right after. It'd be pretty funny though if we designed the Crystalclad, deployed it, then develop anchored crystal. Assuming no spying is going on, watch as Moskurg upgrades the range of their anti-magic and laugh.
Future Design: AS-SBP2 "Crystalclad"
The Crystalclad is a magnificent display of Arstotzkan might and is poised to forever change the ways of warfare on the seas.
Its number one advantage is its crystal plating: The cheap, light, and strong crystal we're so familiar with has been manipulated into plating for the whole ship, literally cladding it in crystal. The effect is an awe-inspiring vessel. The ship is designed for the crew to operate on the ship largely from the inside to maximize protection against enemy attacks.
The ship is equipped with 4 cannons of any type, along with three steam engines. The ship is designed around holding this weight and thus will not be disadvantaged by it. The crystal armor will make the ship nearly impervious to enemy attempts to sink it. In fact, most ballista bolts should bounce harmlessly off of the armoring.
The ship itself is a huge creation and dwarfs the SBP1, as it was designed specifically to hold the engines and cannons without a loss in reliability and integrity. While heavier, the ship maintains and even beats the speed of the SBP1 with an additional steam engine. The ship is actually much more agile than the SBP1 thanks to the much higher profile of the ship in water.

Tests and calculations have also been done regarding a Crystalclad in an enemy anti-magic field: Crystal plating will slowly disappear off the ship - it isn't an immediate effect due to the sheer mass of it. An unarmored Crystalclad is much more vulnerable to enemy bombardment as the crystal is merely the primary layer of armoring on top of wood, but the ship will not sink. It is comparable to our previous standard boats before the SBP1 when unarmored. However, due to the range at which naval engagements are fought and the fact that the SBP2 will match or beat the speed of enemy ships means an anti-magic field is an extreme rarity.

Also, once we solve the artillery problem (THEY CAN'T KEEP INCREASING THEIR RANGE BUT WE SURE CAN INCREASE OURS EHHEHEHEHE) we should do anchored crystal regardless. It'd help make crystal research useful again and having our crystal weapons back would be amazing. And since I doubt we'll be getting an update tonight...
Please vote for the heretic or anti-magic shell to FINALLY COUNTER LUCKY STRIKE. We keep on delaying this and we keep on hurting because of it. I would like to re-emphasize that nearly the entire enemy advantage comes from lucky strike. Getting rid of it would vastly improve our performance in literally every theater.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: May 04, 2017, 11:15:31 pm »

"AIDs shell" nice. Literally sending our enemies AIDs.
Also an interesting idea which I really like but it also seems really risky. Any idea for stepstone techs to work on in the meantime?

Not really. Its not a complex system. Basically its a shell with anti-magic crystals on it. The ones closer to the magical source release more energy, causing it to turn that direction (due to the angle of the tubes). It does that until all of the crystals are firing to the same strength, which means the target is dead ahead.

Its more math than magic actually.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: May 04, 2017, 11:33:27 pm »

Y'know what? I'll also vote for that. Again, I'm assuming you are too.
2 - HA1 "Onslaught": Chiefwaffles, FallacyofUrist
2 - Heretic shell: Robson, Chiefwaffles
3 - SO1-AM "Equalizer": Chiefwaffles, Andrea, 10ebbor10,
1 - FA1 "Metal Storm" : 10ebbor10
1 - Freeze Wands: RAM
1 - Flash Cast Crystals: FallacyofUrist
2 - Divination Jammer: Andrea, Roboson
4 - AS-HC2-E: Andres, 10ebbor10, Stabby, Lightforger
1 - Nature's Eye: Azzuro
0 - Supreme Predictive Algorithms Machine:
0 - Tower of Growth:
0 - (RAM)Living Crystal Charms:
0 - (RAM)Wooden Planks:
0 - Flameshrieker Shells:
2 - AIDs Shell: Chiefwaffles, Roboson
Also Roboson you should totally vote for the SO1-AM again. It may not be an anti-divination shell, but I think it's the next-best thing and it's the most supported option in the category of "ACTUAL COUNTERS ON LUCKY STRIKE".

And beginning this revision phase, I personally think we should start including the links to the original design post inside the votebox. People would have to directly quote it instead of just copy+pasting its text, but it'd make it a whole lot more convenient for anyone trying to interpret it. It is absolute hell trying to find the original design post for something sometimes.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: May 04, 2017, 11:36:27 pm »

4 - SO1-AM "Equalizer": Chiefwaffles, Andrea, 10ebbor10, Stabby
1 - Flash Cast Crystals: FallacyofUrist
3 - AS-HC2-E: Andres, 10ebbor10, Lightforger
0 - Tower of Growth:
0 - (RAM)Wooden Planks:
Eh, its as good of a idea as any.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: May 04, 2017, 11:53:11 pm »

I just fear that it won't stop their lucky strike, and then no one will want to try something that does because we've already used a design phase on it.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: May 04, 2017, 11:54:49 pm »

Understandable, but I think it's worth trying. It just seems that people are more receptive to the AM shell. But if you manage to get people to support the Heretic shell, that'd probably be even better than the AM shell.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: May 05, 2017, 12:21:50 am »

4 - SO1-AM "Equalizer": Chiefwaffles, Andrea, 10ebbor10, Stabby
1 - Flash Cast Crystals: FallacyofUrist, VoidSlayer
3 - AS-HC2-E: Andres, 10ebbor10, Lightforger
0 - Tower of Growth:
0 - (RAM)Wooden Planks:

Voting for my Flash Cast Crystals as no one actually proposed anything else I think will actually defend against artillery.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: May 05, 2017, 12:26:22 am »

We don't need to defend against artillery if they can't actually hit us. Disrupting lucky strike (and, I assume, the spell they use for extra range) will severely reduce the effectiveness of their artillery in addition to many other advantages of theirs. Vote Heretic Shell/AM Shell today!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: May 05, 2017, 12:31:28 am »

Your guessing that their ballista is inaccurate rather then being pretty accurate and then have lucky strike further increase that.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: May 05, 2017, 12:35:30 am »

Their ballista is probably fairly accurate, but without lucky strike they can't pinpoint our commanders and wizards at extreme range.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: May 05, 2017, 12:37:05 am »

It's not "ballista is inaccurate without lucky strike", but rather "lucky strike makes everything more accurate".
It doesn't matter how accurate their ballistae are without lucky strike - it matters that countering lucky strike will significantly reduce the accuracy by a large degree. Also, both Heretic shells and AM shells will counter other spells too, but that's not the point.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: May 05, 2017, 12:55:29 am »

Note also that they are winning the skirmish by a large margin.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: May 05, 2017, 12:55:45 am »

Yeah, their success at a range for the entirety of this game is because of lucky strike. Their ballistas can hit us without fail at extreme range. Without it, we'd have won years ago.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 301