Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387263 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1725 on: May 01, 2017, 01:49:05 pm »

Perhaps we should make our Tower of Frost more potent? Right now, Moskurg is getting debuffed because of it, which is fine, but insufficient. We should make our Tower of Frost generate such cold that they would be unable to survive without superior Arstotzkan heat retention techniques. This would counter all their ground efforts as they wouldn't even be able to survive the environment they're trying to fight in. It's also a pre-existing technology and an ultimately simple modification.

Glory to Arstotzka.

Thinking about it, I just realized how good this idea is. Our frost tower is currently operating in the Jungle, the area where it is weakest. If we make it cheaper, we can deploy it in the mountains and Plains, where it will be dramatically more powerful.

The Jungle normally has an an average temperature of 26 degrees, and we turned it into freezing half the time of the year. So, we did about 26 degrees of temp reduction.

Average normal temperature:
Jungle : 26 degrees Celsius
Plains : 13 degrees Celsius
Mountains : 0 degrees Celsius

Average temperature with forever Frost:
Jungle : 0 degrees Celsius
Plains : -13 degrees  Celsius
Mountains : -26 degrees Celsius

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: May 01, 2017, 01:51:13 pm »

Well, it's not just making it cheaper, it's making it so we don't need Myark for it. That said, I think it's a great idea and doable.

I think that should be our revision this turn, if we haven't used our revision thus far.
~~~
Also yes, let's teach the merchant to maintain crystal weapons.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: May 01, 2017, 01:52:24 pm »

Well, it's not just making it cheaper, it's making it so we don't need Myark for it. That said, I think it's a great idea and doable.

Both are the same. National Effort = Needs to use master wizard.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: May 01, 2017, 02:38:11 pm »

That's weird.  Moskurg has 3/4, Arstotzka 1/4.  I just messed up the copy/paste

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: May 01, 2017, 02:45:47 pm »

Right now the Fog-o-war is winning according to the last vote tally.  I take it this is what you guys want for the design this year?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: May 01, 2017, 02:48:19 pm »

That's weird.  Moskurg has 3/4, Arstotzka 1/4.  I just messed up the copy/paste

Are you certain?

We had 3/4 control in 928. They only got 1 part, so we should have 2/4 vs 2/4

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163277.msg7438622;topicseen#msg7438622

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: May 01, 2017, 02:50:36 pm »

Since discussion has stopped quite a while ago, I believe fog of war is our design.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: May 01, 2017, 02:54:23 pm »

I THINK YOU MEAN THE SPB1-A "FOG-O-WAR"
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: May 01, 2017, 02:57:22 pm »

Yes, you're right. My mistake.  I'm on my phone so it's difficult to doublecheck.  Thanks

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: May 01, 2017, 03:17:59 pm »

Showerthoughtplan

Anti-Magic Spire
A large tower able to nullify almost all magic in a whole section of the map. However, it doesn't affect prestored magic(aka gems and crystals) letting us use our magic with moderate difficulty. As an added befit the towers is able to store a part of the magic it absorbs let us recharge our gems within. It does however require constant maintenance in order to to keep running.

Try using lucky strike now.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: May 01, 2017, 03:19:44 pm »

it negates our cannons, although I suppose we could make them use prestored magic... but it would be better if we made an exception for our magic so that we can use our, while they can't use their.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: May 01, 2017, 03:21:01 pm »

An exception would make it a far bit harder to make. Anyway we should work on making our cannons use gems anyway so we can have more cannons then mages and one day muskets.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: May 01, 2017, 03:32:03 pm »

Last I counted our design is fog-o-war steamships and our trader option is diplomatic mission with everything. Is that correct? My phone makes that sort of thing hard to find.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: May 01, 2017, 03:38:11 pm »

yup

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: May 01, 2017, 04:07:36 pm »

Design: SPB1-A "Fog-O-War" [3+1, 6-3, 1+1]

The worlds first steamship hits the waves this year.  Steam Powered Boat Mark 1-A, AKA the "Fog-O-War" makes use of our existing technology and our finest equipment to realize perhaps the most intimidating contraption to ever hit the seas.

The work that went into this ship almost entirely involved over-hauling the steam engine.  A steam recycler was the most ambituous change - the steam engine is now an entirely closed loop, meaning very little water must be added back in (only to make up what escapes through cracks and joints).  Because of this we can run the device on freshwater, which has a lower boiling point and doesn't gum up the inner workings with salt.  In a pinch the engine can run (less efficiently) on salt water.  After our failed attemp to build a magic-powered steam condenser on the HC2 our Mathemagicians have instead opted for a more mundane option.  Steam runs through pipes which run down the outside of the hull and into the water.  The ocean water cools the pipes, condensing the steam.  This system adds more weight and the horsepower is lost as the steam forces the water back up into the boiler, but at least it's not freezing or cracking pipes.

To make up for the relatively low out-put of the steam engines we've opted to load two onto the ship, both of which drive a single paddle located centrally on the rear.  Because the load is split between the two of them we can gear it much higher and turn the paddle faster. 

Learning from our success with the HC series we've scrapped the external heat source and instead opted for a hybrid PSF and Flamewall spell to provide steady heat directly through the wall of the boiler.  Much like before, this requires the attention of the attending apprentice to operate consistently.  We've opted for dual rudders to sit on either side of the paddle for some much-needed turning speed as the weight increase makes the cornering sluggish.

Finally, we've affixed an HC1-E to a raised platform on the bow.  Due to our abundance of apprentices we can afford to assign two per ship; one to operate the engine and one to fire the cannon.

Due to the incredible weight of the steam engines and cannon the ship sits very low in the water.  This provides considerable drag, and choppy waters threaten to flood over the sides when out of port.  Salt water is also hard on the steam engines and cannon, so despite proper maintenance rust grows.  Finally, the closed-loop system of the steam recycler threatens to cause ruptures in the joints and thinner pipes.  It's difficult to regulate the internal pressure of the engine; an emergency valve has been installed to prevent an out-right explosion, but if popped the engine loses all power and must cool down before it can be reset.

Despite all these flaws, it can - barely - match pace with a Moskurg ship once at full steam.  It's not as manueverable, but it does currently out-range everything Moskurg has deployed.  Due to the very expensive nature of the steam engines, cannons, and ships, the Fog-O-War is a Very Expensive as well, especially without the mines in the mountains to suppliment the high metal cost.  We will be able to deploy three in each sea theatre, although decreasing the cost of its components will allow us to outfit more of our fleet with these upgrades.  Very [Very] Expensive.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 301