Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387143 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1710 on: May 01, 2017, 12:04:45 pm »

We're not showing how to create crystal weapons and he like - only to maintain them. The one thing we're teaching him is the dogwood wand creation which isn't exactly a valuable secret.
Anything else we can just have the accompanying apprentice (separate from Robison) do for him.

And the academy is more-so how to not be awful at magic. I think we're agree on the academy though?

Side note, I'm loving the cultural identity we've created so far. Cannon artillery? (In progress) steam boats? Mathemagics?
It's just awesome.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: May 01, 2017, 12:28:07 pm »

Also, in the future, let's respond in kind:
Future Design: CS1-I "Terror" Incendiary Shells
Our mathematicians have thought: What if you could easily make fire without magic? After intense sessions of study and design, they've come up with a solution: Incendiary rounds.
The new shell foregoes our usual flaw of a dependence on magic. Simply load the shell into an HCx-E and fire!

As the shell approaches its target, one of two things will happen: The impact will trigger a simplistic ignition mechanism inside the shell and it'll disperse a payload of flaming oil, showing throws filthy Moskurgians how to properly use fire.

Or, if the shell hits an active magic field such as a wizard casting a spell, small crystals based off of the design of the Anti-magic bomb will break up, in doing so igniting the payload. The range of the anti-magic crystals ensures that the shells won't disperse too soon. Once this happens, huge swaths of land will be engulfed by fire coming down from the sky.

Future Revision/Design: CS1-E "Annihilator" Explosive Shells
After finishing the concept for the CS1-I, our mathematicians decided to say "screw it" and make a shell reliant on magic. Consequently, this was a simpler design. What if instead of relying on enemy magic to trigger anti-magic crystals, we trigger it ourselves?
"Charging" the crystals is a simple process easily taught to even apprentices failing in the Academy. The mage travels a regulated amount of energy into the crystal. Once this happens, the crystal becomes unstable and is essentially a ticking time bomb, though impacts reliably trigger the crystal as well.

After the crystal is triggered - either through time or impact - it'll releas a huge explosion dwarfing the Anti-magic bomb. The magical energy in the shell is mathematically optimized to all release at once in this devastating explosion rivaling a fireball.

(CS: Cannon Shell)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:35:00 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: May 01, 2017, 12:31:15 pm »

HC1-E Mobile
-snip-

Your HC1-E's currently retreat at the same pace Moskurgs front line advances.  If they develop faster troops or equipment, this design would be beneficial.  At the moment I cannot see any application for this carriage beyond eventually making a tank.

You do not see the advantage of retreating faster then them with the ability to almost instantly fire from the new position when we have superior range, so that we can always be hitting them but they can never hit us?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: May 01, 2017, 12:37:12 pm »

HC1-E Mobile
-snip-

Your HC1-E's currently retreat at the same pace Moskurgs front line advances.  If they develop faster troops or equipment, this design would be beneficial.  At the moment I cannot see any application for this carriage beyond eventually making a tank.

You do not see the advantage of retreating faster then them with the ability to almost instantly fire from the new position when we have superior range, so that we can always be hitting them but they can never hit us?

The problem is, they always hit us. It doesn't matter if we're moving or if we're just sitting there or if we're invisible or even if we're almost invincible, they still hit us. They can hit a fly at 800 meters with a ballista because of that starting spell.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: May 01, 2017, 12:44:51 pm »

HC1-E Mobile
-snip-

The problem is, they always hit us. It doesn't matter if we're moving or if we're just sitting there or if we're invisible or even if we're almost invincible, they still hit us. They can hit a fly at 800 meters with a ballista because of that starting spell.

That is why we never stay in range.  The instant we see them moving up we retreat.  Then keep shelling them.

Also we do not know about the bolded part yet, we haven't tried an armored approach.  Our personal armor defeats most arrows even with their spell.  We also have never hidden our people.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:47:21 pm by VoidSlayer »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: May 01, 2017, 12:48:59 pm »

Perhaps we should make our Tower of Frost more potent? Right now, Moskurg is getting debuffed because of it, which is fine, but insufficient. We should make our Tower of Frost generate such cold that they would be unable to survive without superior Arstotzkan heat retention techniques. This would counter all their ground efforts as they wouldn't even be able to survive the environment they're trying to fight in. It's also a pre-existing technology and an ultimately simple modification.

Glory to Arstotzka.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: May 01, 2017, 12:53:56 pm »

Also we do not know about the bolded part yet, we haven't tried an armored approach.  Our personal armor defeats most arrows even with their spell.  We also have never hidden our people.

We absolutely know both.

There are frequent references to arrows going through eyeslits, and we had that Mist for a long time. During the time where it was effective, Moskurgians could perfectly well utilize their spells to snipe people inside the magic mist.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: May 01, 2017, 12:54:08 pm »

If we want more HC1-E's why not use crystals in the manufacturing process?

Crystal molds for the cannons, crystal hand machining tools (since they are so sharp), hell crystal barrels for the cannons so that we can just re summon them if they break.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: May 01, 2017, 12:58:31 pm »

Because, at this point in time, our cannons are already being limited by the amount of mages. Ideally we'd reduce that.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: May 01, 2017, 01:01:15 pm »

Because, at this point in time, our cannons are already being limited by the amount of mages. Ideally we'd reduce that.

HC1-E : More expensive to produce, deployment is limited.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: May 01, 2017, 01:02:59 pm »

The bulk of your cannon force is made up of HC1's.  You have two or three HC1-E's in each theatre.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: May 01, 2017, 01:04:25 pm »

I assume then that you're not using this rule anymore?

Inexpensive equipment could be given to every soldier, if you want.  Cantrips can be cast by every wizard.  Expensive equipment can be given to officers, or one per squad (5-10 soldiers). Very Expensive equipment can be used by special squads only, about 1 in 100 soldiers.

Or do we have 300 man armies?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: May 01, 2017, 01:08:21 pm »

those numbers are for hand held equipment. heavier things have always used different numberings. in the original arms race for example even when we had cheap tanks or plans, we surely didn't have one per soldier.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: May 01, 2017, 01:09:00 pm »

I'm going by what makes sense to have.  That rule is more of a general rule-of-thumb than something written in stone.

Edit: Andrea ninja'd me.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: May 01, 2017, 01:10:36 pm »

On a side note, I looked at the last turn, and I found we suddenly had a second Jungle.

Northern Taiga: 4/4 Arstotzka
Central Mountains: 3/4 Arstotzka, 1/4 Moskurg
Western Jungle: 2/4 Arstotzka, 2/4 Moskurg
Eastern Plains: 4/4 Moskurg
Southern Desert: 4/4 Moskurg

Western Jungle: 1/4 Arstotzka, 3/4 Moskurg
Western Sea: Disputed
Eastern Sea: Moskurger
Southern Sea: Moskurger

Which of the two numbers is correct?
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 301