Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 387227 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1605 on: April 30, 2017, 08:18:17 pm »

Designs
2 - HC1/2-A (Longer-range cannons): Chiefwaffles, Stabby
1 - CSR (Cooling Steam Recycler): Roboson
I'll admit the CSR sounds cool but it simply has to many ways to go wrong right compared to a increase in fire rate. While outranging them has much more use and would allow us to start to take back the seas keep our mages out of the line of fire.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: April 30, 2017, 08:40:56 pm »

Designs
3 - HC1/2-A (Longer-range cannons): Chiefwaffles, Stabby, Lightforger

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: April 30, 2017, 08:43:30 pm »

Revision: Antimagic Ward
Basically a giant antimagic charm in the shape of a hexagonal prism with an Arstozkan crest one one side to indicate the safest side to be standing when it goes off. The increased size allows much more complexity, combined with our increase mathemagical knowledge we can increase the complexity of the effect and also imprint the magical signatures on the charm's natural structure, allowing it to operate without any magic whatsoever while also massively increasing the intensity and range of the effects. Unfortunately, the lack of magic prevents it from extending its influence at all, so it has precisely zero area of effect, but any magic that actually touches it, anything that our mathemagicians could hope to interpret as magic, will absolutely be absorbed and converted to sound upon contact. We even directed the sound as much as we could so that it is less pleasant for the people it is 'pointed at'. It is... 'advised' that people not touch it directly, but standard plate gauntlets should be abundant protection for handling the things.

Given that it has zero area of effect, it is not really any use for protecting a thing, but should create an impassable barrier against magical auras such as their antimagic, should be completely immune to antimagic itself, owing to forgoing magic after its construction, and serves as an introductory course in sonic-shotguns. all in the neat little package of a revision to upsize and demagic the antimagic charms.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: April 30, 2017, 08:59:23 pm »

And so reliable steam power remains far out of reach. One day we may get there, but not today.

Designs
4 - HC1/2-A (Longer-range cannons): Chiefwaffles, Stabby, Lightforger, Roboson
0 - CSR (Cooling Steam Recycler):

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 30, 2017, 09:37:51 pm »

How are you improving the accuracy?  You state you're making "Improvements to the barrels and projectiles" but you're not stating what those improvements are.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 30, 2017, 09:44:40 pm »

Uhh.
Mathemagics are utilized to optimize the pressure in the chambers for better overall ranges. In addition, firing angles are calculated beforehand and distributed to everyone handling firing angles. Therefor people can get the best range by using the correct firing angles without lengthy calculations in the midst of battle.

If anyone has a better description, please post it too.

EDIT: Don't use this one just yet please, evicted. If no one else posts anything I should have the one to actually Thalys post a better explanation soon-ish.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:49:30 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 30, 2017, 09:57:35 pm »

Of the top of my head on methods to improve the range and accuracy of the cannon. Conical ammo that fits tighter with the barrel in order to improve both ballistic performance and range. A longer barrel and or casting the weapon in a single piece to increase the amount of power we can get off the steam. Removing unneeded iron to make the barrel heavier and there for able to have more power used in the shot. Probably a completely different revision but, some form of recoil damping would also improve accuracy.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 30, 2017, 10:09:25 pm »

Why not just make the whole barrel out of crystal?

I vote for chain artillery, if we have less mages on the front line sit will be easier to protect them later.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 30, 2017, 10:10:13 pm »

We could just revise the fireball spell into a specific cannon variant that imparts more power directly into the weapon leading to increased velocity.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: April 30, 2017, 10:11:28 pm »

We should do range first and next time around the mixer to keep cannons from blowing up. Keeping our precious commanders and mages out of their range is first priority. Cannot hit what how ranges you. No matter aim.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: April 30, 2017, 10:12:07 pm »

Designs
4- HC1/2-A (Longer-range cannons): Chiefwaffles, Stabby, Lightforger
My vote.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 30, 2017, 10:20:44 pm »

The design process surrounding the ammunition is revamped. A greater focus has been placed on the aerodynamics of the shell, and knowledge gained via mathemagics allows for improved mathematical design processes. The ammunition's shape is changed into a form that would more effectively fly through the air while losing less speed, giving it an increased range.

HC1/2-A Revision Logic
Modifications in the chambers of the Hybrid Cannon are made to explicitly work with the more fundamental aspects of magic. Using mathemagics, we can modify the chamber designs to facilitate a kind of resonance in the PSF used inside. Therefore while using the same spell and same level of effort from the wizard, pressure in the cannon is significantly increased, allowing for far greater initial speeds and consequently greater ranges.
The idea behind the "resonance" inside the chambers is best described as that - resonance. The chamber amplifies the spell inside, allowing it to be more powerful.

Both the top and bottom are valid options, but I much prefer the second one. If we're allowed to base designs off of this beforehand, then I'd say only use the second one as long as it isn't for some reason considered new/risky. I don't think it is, but you never know. If we're not allowed to know that in advance, then I just say use the second explanation.

Also Tyrant, what did you vote? I'm assuming you're voting for the HC1/2-A but forgot to use your name and included an old version since Roboson switched his vote to the HC1/2-A. Sorry if I'm wrong.
Designs
5 - HC1/2-A (Longer-range cannons): Chiefwaffles, Stabby, Lightforger, Tyrant, Roboson.
1 - Chain Artillery: VoidSlayer
0 - CSR (Cooling Steam Recycler):

And @Roboson: I definitely think the CSR should be considered next round if we don't have anything critical needed in revisions.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:23:42 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: April 30, 2017, 10:22:54 pm »

Sorry my bad.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 30, 2017, 10:30:38 pm »

Revision: Improved Range [1]

There are many small things that can be done to improve the range on the HC1 and HC1-A.  Shaped ammo is the most effective; changing the design to a cylinder with a bulging cone for a nose lets the cannon punch through the air more efficiently.  The increased surface contact with the rifling also lets it spin faster by the time it leaves the barrel.  Using more mundane applications of mathemagics we also determine the ballistic characteristics of HC1; something that must be done for each cannon, as there are variances between each one.  We form handy-dandy ballistics charts showing the engineer the proper angle to fire at, the expected accuracy at each range, and the drop-off to be expected.  Smaller things include tightening the adjoining pieces of the cannon and boiler, standardizing the water load for each firing event (and finding the optimal amount), and making modifications to the weapons carriage to allow it to brace against the ground once emplaced rather than sit on wheels.  These allow us to go from Long-Range to Extreme-Range.

Once again, these fixes are all rather expensive and time consuming.  The shaped ammo is most effective on our rifled HC1-A's, and developing the ballistics chart for each cannon takes multiple firing tests.  This is enough to push the range modifications into Very Expensive.  We've taken the liberty of combining the range modifications with the accuracy modifications, giving the HC1-A's a new designation of HC1-Elite.

We've about reached the edge of our maximum effective range.  Much further than this and we wont have visual of what we're shooting at; at that point it wont matter how accurate the cannon is.  Very Expensive.

Note: This is pushed up to Very Expensive because I couldn't think of a satisfying explanation for how your Mathemagicians could fuck up so many simple things and prevent it from being effective.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: April 30, 2017, 10:40:39 pm »

* facepalm* the dice is harsh this turn. Very. Not going to whine though. Just a game.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 301